7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sahla rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
uru uru
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sahla hero ability read : "At the start of your turn, you may test Willpower. If you pass, discard 1 condition from 1 figure within 3 spaces of you. Then choose 1 figure within 3 spaces of you to gain that condition."

My question is : Is it mandatory to choose a figure to gain the condition ?
What if Sahla is alone and want to discard the condition from himself ?

Sahla (for CK) was just "discarding a condition for an adjacent hero or himself"

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance,

Uru

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
If you choose to use his ability and succeed on the test, that condition is going somewhere. The "choose 1 figure" portion is not optional once you use the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that the two parts of the ability are linked (see below), there is this:

Rule Question:

Is a player allowed to only partially perform an ability/ skill action? There is precedent for exhausting the Knight's "Advance" to move without performing any attack, but there are several other cases that I'm not sure about. For example:
The Blood Ape's "Leap Attack"- may he move but choose not to attack any figures?
The Geomancer's "Terracall"- may he exhaust this card without summoning a new stone if he is at his limit- or if he isn't?
The Beastmaster's "Changing Skins-" can he exhaust the card to gain surge benefits without attacking a monster near his wolf, or if there is no monster near his wolf?

Thank you again.

Answer:

Hi Paul,

Broadly speaking, players may choose to not perform parts of a skill or ability while still performing the other parts. Requiring that each part is performed leads to a lot of timing questions and confusion about resolution, so the ruling really needs to be this way. However, players should use common sense when using this general ruling. For example, the player cannot use Stalwart to move and attack, but then not be defeated. In general, players should assume that they can skip sections of abilities and skills. In the rare case where doing so (while using common sense) is questionable, that may require a ruling.

Thanks,

Nathan Hajek

Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
nhajek@fantasyflightgames.com

An argument could be made for simply not performing the second part of Sahla's hero ability. However, I'd (and this is coming from someone who recently played as Sahla in a campaign) tend to look at the placing of the condition after discarding it as a sort of a double-edged sword. If there is a monster around, that part of the ability is a big help- not only can you remove a condition from a friendly figure, but you can immediately inflict that condition on an enemy. However, if there's no "safe place" to transfer that condition, you've still got to put it somewhere. That's my "common sense" answer. You're welcome to disagree with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
urukwai wrote:

My question is : Is it mandatory to choose a figure to gain the condition ?
What if Sahla is alone and want to discard the condition from himself ?

Sahla (for CK) was just "discarding a condition for an adjacent hero or himself"

The H&M heroes were reworked for balance as compared to the CK heroes, so it seems fairly clear that they felt it was too powerful for him to simply discard a condition with no consequences.

I would agree that it's mandatory to pick a figure to receive the condition. The idea of simply dropping a condition off Sahla while he's alone is explicitly ruled out by the change.

Also note that, the way this is worded, the recipient of the condition CAN be the same figure from which it was removed. There is no "another figure" text to suggest that the two must be different figures. Removing a condition and then reapplying it would do nothing in most cases, but it is legal. Therefore if Sahla is alone with no other figures within 3 spaces, there's no point in using this ability on himself alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your quick answers

As for the balance, the ability got from "adjacent" to "within 3 spaces", so it has been boosted this way. I always though that "discarding a condition" was quit "under" compared to other abilities, so you may think that the "transfer condition" was, again, a booster for this ability.

But I like the answer of Paul. Use common sense and your roleplay feeling.
It could be "fun" to transfer a Disease condition from a low willpower hero to a strong one, or Immobilized from a melee hero to a ranged one.

Thank again to you all,

Regards,

UrU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
it seems fairly clear that they felt it was too powerful for him to simply discard a condition with no consequences.

I strongly disagree, I feel he's been made a lot stronger. There's often a monster nearby enough to be the target for the condition, so instead of "just" distarding a condition, he can now transfer the condition to a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. His ability IS more powerful now, but that power in my opinion comes with limitations (namely, you have to move the condition, not just throw it away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.