Subject: The Long Night in Japan Game 03: The Longest Yard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today was the day of our long awaited Halloween gaming party! We had planned for a month to have a get-together this weekend. As the days went on, the number of invitees increased until we were looking at nine people showing up. So we decided to try out "Dread" the RPG.

Aaaand one hour before the festivities were to begin, five of the members canceled.

angry

So, to try to salvage something of the event, I teamed up with my pal Dandelion and we offered to bring in Dead of Winter for the host and his wife to play, as they've never tried it before.

As this session was very impromptu, I didn't take pictures to recall the events so I'm afraid this report will be a lot less detailed than the others, but it's all done for me to remember the exciting things that happened. And they did happen.

Players - Starting Characters

n107 - Rosa Rodriguez & Eric Parker
Dandelion - Melissa Gupta & Emma Han
Neil - Chloe Larousse & Rocco Bellini
Andrea - Kumar Sen & Gia Najjar

Modules

Bandits

Improvements

As I enjoyed adding these modules to our second game and they didn't over-complicate matters, I felt we could add them in again even with the new players.

Objective

Tribute

I did go back to the rule book's recommended Main Objective for the new players.

Secret Objective

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

This was Leanne's Secret Objective in the first game. Like most objectives, it would be a cake walk to complete... if we didn't have anything else to accomplish. Knowing what I know about this game after two plays, I knew I had to be careful.

---

Improvement Choices

Outhouse
Turret
Tool Shed
DVD Player

Round 4 Crisis: Temperature Drop

Nice to see a new crisis, though it's nicer to not see one at all. We needed four Fuel or risk everyone freezing to death, in a manner of speaking.

As the player with the highest Influence character, I was first player again this game. I sent Rosa safely to the Police Station where she gunned down the Bandit with her ability and started her search, keeping an item in hand. I then sent Eric out to the Gas Station for two searches. I put one can of gas into the Crisis and I played a food card to feed the colony.

Dandelion sent Emma out to the Gas Station to start rummaging for Fuel too. While she did that, she had Melissa stay at the Colony and use her ability to put an Advancement Token on the Turret. She also played a card into the crisis.

Andrea had her first turn ever, and we helped her through by explaining the rules and actions available to her. She seemed a bit overwhelmed before the game began, but she said that she learns while doing so she was eager to go. She sent Gia out to the Hospital for a couple searches and used her last action die to build a barricade at the colony. She also contributed to the crisis.

Last was Neil, also his first time playing but he caught on to the game quite quickly. He played a card for the crisis, sent Chloe to the Library and did a lot of searching. He made noise, but got rid of it with Chloe's special ability.

At the end of the first round, we had passed the crisis and managed to feed the colony. Still no cards for the Main Objective, though.

Round 3 Crisis: Poisoned

Another new crisis. Now we needed four Food and/or Medicines to prevent the colonists from starving.

Neil continued searching with Chloe, leading to him finding a new Survivor: Lily Mae, the explosives technician. He also brought along a helpless survivor. He played Junk to put an Advancement Token on the Outhouse but said he had nothing to contribute to the crisis, which seemed suspicious to me. I definitely wasn't ready to trust people after the betrayal in the previous game.

On my turn, I decided to send Rosa to the Grocery Store to get some Food for the crisis and Colony, but first I needed to kill the Bandit there. Sadly, en route to her destination, Rosa was bitten and killed, making her adventures all too brief. Luckily for us, Kumar Sen used his gift of speech to make sure the morale of the Colony did not drop.

I decided to move Eric to the Grocery Story in Rosa's place, but first I played two Medicine cards I had into the Crisis. I figured if I died, I'd lose all my cards so I might as well help as much as I can. But before I could move, Dandelion said she could give me a new Survivor. So I requested an Outside card, she passed it to me and I discovered Jamie Gilmore and a helpless survivor. At least my party was no smaller than it started. Eric got to the Grocery Store safely and performed two searches, adding one Food card to the crisis and then played a 3 Food to feed the Colony.

At this point Neil said he didn't realize it could be either Food or Medicine for the crisis and he screwed up. Oh, how I didn't believe him...

On Dandelion's turn, the Crossroads triggered and Emma, who was injured while moving, had an infection. Fortunately she had a spare Medicine to treat the problem and everything was Ok. She then moved Emma to the Hospital for searching and she spent two actions doing just that. She built a Barricade with her last die then used Melissa's ability to finish building the Turret for the Colony. Our first upgrade was now in place! We didn't have any zombies there to kill, thanks to Rocco, but it was nice to know we had a turret if we needed it. Dandelion also contributed to the crisis.

Andrea finished up the round by continuing her searching with Gia, this time finding her a new member in her crew: Kevin Jackson, the sniper. She used him to kill a zombie, then she built another Barricade at the Colony. This one she put in Entrance 6, which I thought was odd. I explained how the zombies pop and she said that's where she wanted it. Ok, I suppose.

Once more during the Colony Phase, we passed the Crisis and fed all the Survivors. So far, so good.

Round 2 Crisis: Snow Drifts

Yet another new Crisis with an unfortunate penalty: making movement more dangerous. This one required tools which are not the easier item to get. I, however, had two in my hand. The only cards I had two of. Needing three of any one item type, I was hoping that I could get something easier and use the tools for the crisis. But if I couldn't, well...

Before this round, we had a serious talk about if we could even complete the game. Neil said he could bring in the cards from the Library. Dandelion and I both had a card we were saving from the Gas Station so we could combine those. Dandelion also said she could focus on getting cards from the Hospital while Andrea would go for the School. I said I could also get the Grocery Store with Eric, but we still had the Police Station left.

Andrea went first and started doing the searching that she promised.

Neil brought in Chloe, who dropped off the Library cards into the Objective. He traded a book with Rocco that allowed him to move once without rolling for exposure then sent him out to continue searching.

I did my searches of the Grocery Store and got enough for the Objective. However, I also got a third Tools card which meant I was not going to contribute into the crisis, which only had one card in it at the moment. I needed those three for the final turn. I forgot, however, to send Jamie to the Police Station for searching in the next turn as I had intended.

Dandelion did more searching on her own, I believe to make sure she had what she needed for both the Main and her Secret Objective. She then moved Emma home and put in two cards for the Hospital and one for the Gas Station into the objective. She also finished building the Outhouse.

At the end of the turn, we managed to keep the Colony fed but we failed the Crisis, with only one card inside. That meant in our final round, we would have to roll the Exposure Die twice for every move. Not good.

Round 1 Crisis: Convoy

The final round started with a threatening crisis that could kill us all with nine zombies threatening to rush the Colony.

As the first player, Dandelion decided wisely to keep her survivors at home but I mentioned that it was going to get nasty if we failed the Crisis and have a Colony full of Survivors. We had more zombies at the door than before since Rocco left on the last turn and couldn't help keep the number down. So Dandelion used her turn to build Barricades and take out the trash.

Andrea was going to bring Gia in but I suggested that she try sending Kevin to the Police Station first so he could search for the items we need from that last location. She agreed and, while Neil was talking to me, before I knew it, she had Gia back in the Colony and dropped her School items into the Objective. I then realized she placed nothing from the Police Station; she hadn't searched it before coming back in! I mentioned it to her, but she still didn't seem to realize what that meant... unless she had another plan in mind anyhow. She finished her search of the Police Station and seemed satisfied with what she drew.

Next Neil sent Chloe to the final spot in the Police Station. A Crossroads triggered and it was a prison break. Neil decided that he would roll the Exposure Die twice for Rocco and Lily. His rolls wounded Lily but Rocco was untouched. Chloe searched the Police Station and found yet another Survivor: Nadia Rivers and a helpless survivor. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that he was trying to guarantee we couldn't feed the Colony even if we were trying (which, it seemed, we were not). Rocco returned to the Colony, dropping off the cards from the Police Station into the Objective. He also placed two cards into the Crisis.

Now it all came down to my final turn. All I had to do was to get Eric back to the Colony to drop off the final three cards needed to complete the Main Objective. But first I did two searches, getting two Food cards. I put those into the Crisis with Neil's two, hoping that would stop the zombie surge. With that done, it was time for the first of my two Exposure rolls thanks to the Snow Drifts. With all eyes fixed on me, I rolled the die once...

It landed on a blank.

Just one more roll and we could be home free. I picked up that blood red harbinger of death once more when Neil decided to say:

"Just a 1 in 12 chance."

His wife scolded him for the jinx. Thanks, Neil.

I shook the die as lovingly as I could and rolled it.

We watched as it weaved it's way through the Colony, between zombies standing at the entrances and hit the side of the Search Deck for the School. The die bounced up and landed with a thud in the center of the deck. It's face showing...

A bite. Eric had been killed and with him died the chance of success. Morale dropped to 4.

We all let out a mixture of laughter and groans. It was now time for the Colony Phase.

We couldn't feed all the Survivors so a Starvation Token brought Morale down to 3.

I shuffled the Crisis Contributions and flipped them over. My two Food plus Neil's two... Fuel? Yep, he spiked it.

"There's our traitor," I announced.

Again, just as I suspected. One of these days I'm going to exile someone.

We placed the nine zombies but Dandelion and Andrea's Barricades helped to ensure that we were fine. The rest of the zombies got placed and we checked the Main Objective.

Failed.

Obviously.

The Round Tracker moved to 0 and the game had ended.

Checking the objectives
:

n107 - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Failed

Dandelion - Care - Failed

Andrea - Guarded - Failed

Neil - The Ritual - Failed

Yes, even the traitor failed to accomplish his goal as the Morale didn't hit 0. We all lost.

---

Final Thoughts:

Another exciting game and boy am I glad we got to play it today. It always seems so impossible but it's anything but. The excitement of every Crossroad, every die roll, every decision keeps all the players hooked on the game from start to finish.

I can't believe only two characters died this game and they were both mine. That's just my luck.

Once again, I sniffed out the Betrayer immediately but did nothing about it. He still didn't betray us enough to win, but I really need to get someone evicted the next time I sense danger.

For the first time, the Upgrades came into play. We didn't use the Turret but the Outhouse was a nice addition.

As the questions I had in Game 2 were never answered, I'll keep them here, too, in case this thread gets some attention.

---

Questions:

If a player gains a new survivor with higher influence, does that character become the group leader automatically? If not, is there any importance to the role of "group leader" after the game begins?

When cards are played into the objective, are they played face up? We assumed so, as you check for objective completion in each Colony Phase. I'm also assuming you can't spike an Objective like you can with a crisis.

Previous Sessions:

Game 01: Tooth Feary

Game 02: Tunnel Vision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up!

As to your questions, group leader only matters at the beginning of the game when determining who is first player in the first round. You actually never have to put the "highest influence character" as your group leader. It might be wise to pick a low influence leader in the case that you WANT to go last (to spike the crisis for instance if everyone else has already added cards or just so you can see what other people are doing before you decide how to approach your own objective). Group leader is only replaced if the leader dies and then you choose who in your following takes the position. It doesn't really change anything but it is fun to imagine who is in charge. There MAY be some crossroads that refer to group leaders, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen them all.

As to question 2, you are correct on both accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Nice write-up!

As to your questions, group leader only matters at the beginning of the game when determining who is first player in the first round. You actually never have to put the "highest influence character" as your group leader. It might be wise to pick a low influence leader in the case that you WANT to go last (to spike the crisis for instance if everyone else has already added cards or just so you can see what other people are doing before you decide how to approach your own objective). Group leader is only replaced if the leader dies and then you choose who in your following takes the position. It doesn't really change anything but it is fun to imagine who is in charge. There MAY be some crossroads that refer to group leaders, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen them all.

As to question 2, you are correct on both accounts.

Thank you for the answers! I never thought about putting low influence in the leader spot to change starting order.

My group has just been swapping out leaders when a higher influence one joins up. I had a feeling that wasn't right but since there seemed to be no effect after the start of the game I never said anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NP! I think there was an intent to do something more dynamic with the group leader position, but either it got cut or they found it too cumbersome to add. I don't know this for sure, but it does seem like a vestigial mechanic from an older concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these write-ups. I can't wait for the one where you are the betrayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.