Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this scenario last night. I sent the following email to WotC for clarification. Any insight here would be appreciated.

I have a few questions regarding Haunt 82:Get a Clue.

In the "Right Now" section, it states to use the weapons in order, but the Rope is not included in the order. Why is this order important and should the Rope be included?

Also in this section, it states that Rope starts with the traitor. In "You Win When..." it states that the Rope does not start in the Dining Room. However, in our game, the Traitor was in the Dining Room. I assume that the text in "Right Now" means that it starts wtih the traitor instead of in the stack of items in the Dining Room.

The biggest issue is that in "You Win When", it states that one of the alibis must use the Rope. However, since the weapons must be used for alibis and the Rope is not in the list, it's not clear when or how the Rope is used to establish an alibi.

This is further confused by the fact that in the Traitor's Tome, the winning conditions are "all the heroes are dead OR the Rope is dropped in the Dining Room and the police arrive before those left alive have their alibis." In our game, the police arrived and 1 of 5 explorers had not established their alibis. However, the Rope had been used for one of the other alibis. Thus, the heroes could not win (not all alibis had been established, although one of the alibis used the rope in the Ballroom), but the traitor could not win either (the Rope was not in the Dining Room).

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sain
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I had similar concerns with this haunt.

We also had five players. 2 heroes established their alibis, 1 died, and 1 had not established their alibi. At the start of my turn, I (the traitor) increased the turn/order track to 11. I had the rope, jumped in the mystic elevator, made it to the dining room and dropped the rope. On the next player's turn, they came into the dining room and picked up the rope and stayed there. That's it. When it got back around to my turn, at the beginning of my turn, the turn track hit 12 and the cops showed up. I didn't get a last turn to try and wrestle the rope away from someone who was standing in front of me. The correct item(omen) was in the correct room, but it was in someone's hand, not dropped.

So...did no one win? We joked saying no one had succeeded so we were all out in patrol cars and taken to the station. But it was anti-climactic to say the least. I would say an easy fix is the turn marker I crime ts at the END of the traitors then.

To answer your question about the rope not being in the item list, because it is the omen that triggered the haunt, it is already in possession of the traitor. So there is no "set up" involving the rope.

We also azsumed the rope could be used as an alibi since it could be stolen/pickex up. I didn't read the survival guide so I don't know the specifics of what can and can't be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniel Bronozo
Philippines
flag msg tools
I think it states that the rope must be used as an alibi by the heroes in order to win. This however begs the question what happens if the rope is with the heroes and not used as alibi. This is exactly what happened when we played this. They were all able to establish alibis but did not use the rope. Does this mean no one wins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
I received the following response from WotC after only 1 day! Amazing service. It appears that nobody wins in the game we played...

Quote:
Geoff

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Service.

Look at the mess this butler has caused all of us to try and clean up ourselves!

The order of the weapon order does not matter particularly, but you do not include the Rope among the list of five items. This is to allow the strategy of each player being able to establish their own alibi at the onset of the Haunt, without having to immediately concern themselves with who will need to use the Rope in theirs. So even though one of the items will ultimately not be used, it is included in the scenario

You are correct in assuming that the Rope starts with the Traitor and not in the pile of items in the Dining Room. This allows for less of a downtime for the Traitor to start strangling.

The Rope is not on the list, but starts in the possession of the Traitor. In order for the Heroes to acquire the Rope and establish an alibi, they must best the Traitor in a physical attack and steal the Rope away from them.

Finally, in the situation that you described, it seems that no one wins. All Heroes must establish an alibi to be victorious. If the Rope has been established in an alibi, then the Traitor would need to kill all of the Heroes. You're all in for a long series of questioning with conflicting testimonies, but that's a tale for another board game.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did this haunt yesterday. Couldn't help but feel a bit underwhelmed, especially as when a hero had the rope they could just wait in their alibi room and I couldn't do anything to hurt them. Just wait for them to roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.