Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Of Dreams & Shadows» Forums » Rules

Subject: want to like; having a hard time with rules (some more questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Is it me, or is it the rules? We're trying to play this game feeling like we don't know what's going on?

Shadow Tokens: aside from their description on p. 11, where do the rules tell you what to do with them?

Foes: do you just do a random placement and if so, what's the point of the foe card deck sitting there? Wouldn't it make more sense to draw a card and then place the corresponding standee? (I don't think the rules say that.)

Also, in bigger picture, we feel like we're walking around with little capacity to do anything and cards are just sitting there are resources but we can't obtain them or even try to because we don't have the requisite money, or whatever. I get that they are hard to get but shouldn't you at least have a chance?

I can't help but think we are reading the rules incorrectly, or is it that they are just unclear? Also, walkthrough on site was not great at all.

Is someone doing a how to play video soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem ist the rulebook.

a) Shadow Tokens: Each villian sheet makes it clear which function they have.

b) Again according to the villian sheets it becomes obvious when to spawn random and when not. So yes, after the initial placement of monsters you WILL draw monsters from the deck randomly.

c) Resource cards in hand: Do not forget that you can exchange cards there even if you do not have gold. So for one action you can exchange one card there. Additionally - when gaining resources cards (either through gold or skill checks) you can one card as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beckikaze wrote:
Sorry, just to clarify: are you saying the rulebook is a problem or isn't? Just wondering how off-base I am in terms of other people's experience....

Still confused about foes: what is the point of having the cards out there if you are just randomly placing a standee? Shouldn't you be drawing a card and then taking the relevant standee?

a) I got frustrated and put game away so can't check now but I will.

c): So I played 2 heroes. One started only with 2 gold; one had 1 card. the one with 2 gold spent it so they each had one card. Are you saying I could have exchanged a card that I had for a new card in the hand even if I had no gold? I didn't read it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
2sherman2 wrote:
Beckikaze wrote:
Sorry, just to clarify: are you saying the rulebook is a problem or isn't? Just wondering how off-base I am in terms of other people's experience....

Still confused about foes: what is the point of having the cards out there if you are just randomly placing a standee? Shouldn't you be drawing a card and then taking the relevant standee?

c): So I played 2 heroes. One started only with 2 gold; one had 1 card. the one with 2 gold spent it so they each had one card. Are you saying I could have exchanged a card that I had for a new card in the hand even if I had no gold? I didn't read it that way.

For Foes, you draw the card and place the standee (just as you said). The card has the Foe's stats and abilities to reference.

When you spend an action to purchase a Resource card from the Hand, you can also discard another card from the Hand to help refresh the Hand with desirable cards. Some Champions can use Special Abilities to acquire specific Resource cards from the Hand without paying Gold. Otherwise, you get Gold from Scenarios and killing Foes.

I'll be posting a FAQ this weekend that should help. We are also looking at updating the Rule Book to help clarify gameplay and will post the printable PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2sherman2 wrote:
Beckikaze wrote:

To the foes:
With most villians you should place a foe on a shadow token. So: You point with your finger on a shadow token, draw a card from the foe deck and place the corresponding standee on the token. Clearer now?

To c) No, that is not what I have said. When you are at a realm or a capital, you choose one card to get. Then you pay the gold or make the skill check and put the card from the hand in front of your hero. But additionally you can put one resource card from the hand onto the discard pile. Then you draw two new cards from the resource deck to fill it up until 5 cards are in the hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I don't think the resource deck should have a discard pile. I think all discarded cards are shuffled back in after new cards have been drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. The cards are shuffled into the deck again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.