BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good abstract games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
after i get Hive im totally in to abstract games i just love Them. Yinsh Are on my wish list? Are there Any other great abstract games out there worth to mention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:
after i get Hive im totally in to abstract games i just love Them. Yinsh Are on my wish list? Are there Any other great abstract games out there worth to mention?

Loads of them.

Octi, Kamisado and Arimaa are really good. The other games in the GIPF series need to be looked at too.

You should also not discount games that can be played with common stuff you already have like a chess board and draughts pieces. Games such as Lines of Action and Cannon. If you can find square(ish) pieces you can even play Tak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Pyramid Arcade, which will be newly released in November (in a week or two, I think).
The Looney pyramids have been around for a long time and 100eds of abstract games have been invented to play with them -- not all excellent, but several of them are, like Homeworlds, Zendo, Volcano, Martian Chess.
Pyramid Arcade is a large collection of pyramids + a number of boards, cards and dice, and it contains rules for 22 popular pyramid games, including three of those mentioned above. And then there are suggestions for other games to try as well.

I think this is a great way to get several good abstract games at once + the pyramids just look really good.
And there are many different games in the box; some entirely strategic, some containing luck, some real-time -- so its really variable and everybody should find something they like.

One note: Online the game will only be available from Looney Labs directly + from one other store, but it should be widely distributed in Brick & Mortar stores, in particular ones that already carry Fluxx or any of its other incarnations. If they don't have it there, they should be able to order it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into abstracts recently, but still don't like Hive. So, you may or may not want to follow my recommendations. Still, my recommendation would be:

Make yourself a "Yavalath set" by printing out a size-5 hex board, such as page 2 of https://github.com/zmxv/havannah-boards/raw/master/havannah...., and getting two colors of pieces (glass beads, wooden cubes from other games, whatever). You can now play a large number of games; my favorites so far are

Catchup
Quantum Leap
Yavalath
Odd

I am also very fond of Amazons, which you can play on a chessboard if you include a ring of 'virtual' spaces around the edge to make it a 10x10 board.

If you prefer the "every piece moves differently" style of Hive, you might look into The Duke or For the Crown (Second edition). Neither one is a 'pure' abstract (both have some luck) but I enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I hated them but have discovered that some are quite good.

Pente is an incredible 5-20 minute simple abstract.

Onitama is good beautiful and cheap.

The Duke is the Hive killer for me. It is incredible in a lot of ways.

Agamemnon may feel more euroy but it is abstracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Sputnik is super simple abstract, but has the distinct advantage of going 2-6 players if you're more interested in higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite abstracts:

- Mixtour
- Fendo
- Go (try the 9x9 first, but it's not as simple as it looks)
- Yokai no Mori

And I play a lot of Ta Yu with a friend of mine.

Abstracts with a story (or not, depending on the viewer):

- Taluva
- Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Onitama and Tigris & Euphrates.

Also, if you haven't tried the expansions for Hive, I highly eccomend them:

Hive: The Mosquito
Hive: The Ladybug
Hive: The Pillbug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player and fairly short makes for a mild comparison to Hive, Ponte del Diavolo takes place on a small board. Several sites to play it online for exploration are listed its BGG game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the menu system at the top of the page to get to this view of the BGG database limited to those considered abstract games.

method quickly stated:
at the top of the page find the yellow "Board Games" and select "Abstract Games" as the Subdomain. With that in place find "Browse" (which will display "Database (Subdomain: Abstract Games)" and select "Abstract Games".

Note the Browse menu will display something different if the Subdomain has not been selected by the first menu action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Take a look at Mini Shogi, Knizia's Re, Alice Chess and Tic Tac Chec. You can play most of these with a chess set or two.

+1 for Yavalath/Squava. You can try these with checkers set -- and perhaps a printed board.

Blokus, Blokus 3D
Inside, Pylos
Hey That's My Fish

If you don't mind including some luck/risk management:
EinStein würfelt nicht!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta Yü
Battle Sheep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Yinsh is my favorite of the Gipf series, the others are definitely worth pursuing. (All are available for online play at BoardSpace.net)

If you like Hive, check out the expansion pieces. Well worth adding to the game.

Chess and Go are the games that can take over your life with play analysis going back hundreds and hundreds of years.

Abalone, Blokus Duo, Ingenious, Khet, Quarto, and Tayu are some of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
I love Yinsh, Quarto, and Pente.

But I'm going to have to suggest 2 more Gipf games: Zertz and Dvonn. They rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia Browne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, here are some that haven't been mentioned.
2p: Patchwork excelent tetris style economic kind-off game.
2-4/5p: Qwirkle, Kingdom Builder BaronyFamily friendly, fun games. Kingdom builder doesn't look like abstract, but i think it is at its heart. This also goes to Barony.
2-All players that fit the table: Ricochet Robots Excelent real-time puzzle solving game.
Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokka coffee wrote:
2-4/5p: Qwirkle, Kingdom Builder Family friendly, fun games. Kingdom builder

But not abstract games. There is randomness in both of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Longobardi
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
PÜNCT: my favorite from GIPF series

I also enjoy abstract games with 3D elements:

Axiom
Blokus 3D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.