Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have a group of people I game with and I have at least two people who like to "point" to their cards by jabbing them with their nails. It's pretty odd but I've noticed a lot of my cards have nail gauges in them in at least three or four games. I've sleeved a few of them but I have 200+ games. Has anyone else ever encountered this? Do you dare try to yell at people while they are doing it? I'm trying my hardest not to sound like an OCD jerk and yesterday, I casually told several of my group the story, but I saw it happen again. Does sleeving really even protect from this?
I'd love to hear the community's thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some aggressive pointing! laugh I would probably just tell them politely to be more careful. I mean, come on. Nobody likes being scolded, but it's part of life, helps us grow. They'll live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I agree, they actually did it last night. It's usually when they ask a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also recommend a nail clipper.

Pete (cringes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tell them.
I'm assuming you are all adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't mean this to sound racist, but you should probably stop playing with Velociraptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larysa J
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I feel your pain...

It's also an issue when you play games with moving parts or markers, such s Monopoly... I always ask people to count their moves either in their heads, or with a finger, but not to bang the metal piece along the board.

We have GOT Monopoly and the pieces are metal, so if someone picks a piece up and counts along by banging the piece on the board (even lightly) after repeated rounds it means the board will get dented, scratched or torn.

I also sleeve anything that hasn't got a linen finish card. For example, we have Evolution (all sleeved) and the new Evolution Climate came this week, and I bought the extra set of trait cards so that I wouldn't have to worry about switching in and out with cards, but they are not linen finish or plastic, just regular cards, so even with just one play I could see that they were going to be ruined fairly soon. For this reason, we had one test-play and have put the game away until I can get to the game store to get sleeves...

Incidentally, good luck with the velociraptors, they don't like cutting their nails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my main issue with people abusing my games is people bending and reading the rulebook as if its the daily newspaper surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when it happens, too. But I'm often the culprit! No idea why/how it happens, except that I am almost always doing the explaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hmmm.

Cheating?

A nail mark on a card could get you killed in a poker game.

See if there is a pattern of cards with marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the nail marks are all on the face of the card, where someone has "enthusiastically" pointed at it. Not the back, and of no use whatsoever to a cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
wamsp wrote:
I don't mean this to sound racist, but you should probably stop playing with Velociraptors.

Or hispanics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This drives me crazy as well. I run a game group for teens at our local library and they do this all the time. As well as every other annoying destructive thing that will likely get mentioned in this thread lol. To be fair though, I know what I'm in for by bringing my own games so I don't let it get to me. But I notice. Every. Single. Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
blueart1 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Or hispanics!

Nah!, hispanics are okay in my book. It's those black people you've got to look out for. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
blueart1 wrote:
blueart1 wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Or hispanics!

Nah!, hispanics are okay in my book. It's those black people you've got to look out for. shake

Hi everyone, my name is Arturo and, before this gets out of hand, I'd like everyone to know that I'm a black, hispanic velociraptor and that I'm an alcoholic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
blueart1 wrote:
Hi everyone, my name is Arturo and, before this gets out of hand, I'd like everyone to know that I'm a black, hispanic velociraptor and that I'm an alcoholic!

This will only count if you are also gay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are very funny. It's hard to tell people about gaming etiquette without sounding like a jerk. Don't get me started on bent cards! Although I haven't had to say that in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was the only person who had this problem. My mother was the main culprit so it was easy to tell her it wasn't necessary to actually touch the card for us to know what she was pointing at. I've had a few others but they were one time players so I let it go that time. Def tell them because they prob aren't thinking about it but would have no problem stopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who does this and it drives me bananas. Whether it's coppers in Dominion or untapped lands in Magic, he feels the need to forcefully strike every single card in order to count how many he has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
RDewsbery wrote:
No, the nail marks are all on the face of the card, where someone has "enthusiastically" pointed at it. Not the back, and of no use whatsoever to a cheat.

Depending on the game, a gouge on the front could clue in a dealer. Feel the gouge with his index finger during the deal.

Doesn't sound like an issue here though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chop their fingers off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
79strat wrote:
Chop their fingers off?

And EAT THEM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Insist that they play wearing gloves or mittens, but clearly not fingerless mittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd place a cigar cutter in the middle of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.