Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to wrap my head around a few things as I get started with my first TCS game. Apologies is some of these questions are stupid or seemingly obvious.

1. At the start of the Campaign game the Regina Rifles are holding Norrey & Bretteville with already active prepared defence ops sheets. Due to the forces defending multiple locations, would each town being held need its own prepared defence ops sheet?

2. Could a company that is in Bretteville(not assigned to an ops sheet of the prepared defence of Bretteville) be a reserve assigned to the forces(and ops sheet of those forces) defending Norrey?

3. It is stated the the AT guns on the northern edge of the map can be used as reserves on an ops sheet, is that stated because it excludes other units from doing so at the start of the game?

4. Would the Mortars assigned to the prepared defence of Bretteville be unable to support(overwatch fire, SFA etc.) the defence of Norrey because they are not assigned to that ops sheet?

5. The Germans have reinforcements that enter on Turn 1 but cannot assign them to an ops sheet unitl they become available due to the German reinforecment rules in the campaign setup. Is the intent here for them to become available right at the start but unassigned and then they will begin trying to implement their orders starting in the turn two command phase?

That is all I can think of right now and I answered half of my own questions while writing this but I am certain I will return with more in the next few days.

Thanks in advance for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Forester
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To your questions Michael:

1) No, both locations can be included on the initial Prep Def Op Sheet. Or you can put each on separate Prep Def Op Sheets as you wish. Either works.

2) Normally it would be Ok, but the Special Orders rule states that no units can start in reserve (it's listed in the scenario).

3) Yep see 2 above

4) There is nothing in the rules that precludes this. Some people house rule it and play Op Sheets very tight, but I wouldn't recommend that in this case.

5) Correct, the Germans hurried to the site and were actually fairly uncoordinated. This is represented by needing to get them on an implemented Op Sheet. Neither player is quite sure when they will begin their attack, as was historically the case.

Hope this helps, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leeforester wrote:
To your questions Michael:

1) No, both locations can be included on the initial Prep Def Op Sheet. Or you can put each on separate Prep Def Op Sheets as you wish. Either works.

2) Normally it would be Ok, but the Special Orders rule states that no units can start in reserve (it's listed in the scenario).

3) Yep see 2 above

4) There is nothing in the rules that precludes this. Some people house rule it and play Op Sheets very tight, but I wouldn't recommend that in this case.

5) Correct, the Germans hurried to the site and were actually fairly uncoordinated. This is represented by needing to get them on an implemented Op Sheet. Neither player is quite sure when they will begin their attack, as was historically the case.

Hope this helps, enjoy!

Thanks for the quick answers Lee.

Have a few follow up questions.

How would failure instructions be treated if you did have both assigned to the same ops sheet. Should the forces in Norrey be strongly defeated and you want to retreat from Norrey to Bretteville they would need to declare failure and then all forces would need to pull back to the rally point(maybe not the right term here but I think you will know what I mean)? This does not seem to make sense as then the forces in Bretteville would now also be unassigned and be forced to leave their prepared defences as well. Now the solution to this would be to have the separate forces on separate ops sheets but I am curious if my line of thinking was correct there were they on one sheet covering both towns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
6.11d addresses this explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
6.11d addresses this explicitly.

Yes it does. Very explicitly. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There's a CC-specific rule that requires off-board artillery to be named on Ops sheets, so it definitely will help the player more flexibility if the Canadians start with a single Prep Defence Op sheet covering both villages and including all artillery.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
mikeb13603 wrote:
Quote:

There's a CC-specific rule that requires off-board artillery to be named on Ops sheets, so it definitely will help the player more flexibility if the Canadians start with a single Prep Defence Op sheet covering both villages and including all artillery.

Mike

True, but he was referring to on board mortars yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
mikeb13603 wrote:
Quote:

Mike

I was, but the point about artillery was well worth making. Very interesting decisions to be made on where to assign the artillery assets.

I am a few turns into the training scenario and the Germans have already felt the sting of the Canadian artillery.

Germans are just about to meet the Canadian positions at point blank range as the the sun rises. Trying to spot dug in forces in partly protective terrain has proved very difficult. They may call the mission a failure to return to the rally point to put on their glasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The OP was indeed about mortars. I was adding a point to the subsequent discussion of "how many Op Sheets to use?"

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.