Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
It likely wouldn't go down until the second print actually ships. We may see the games getting slightly cheaper, as people are more likely just to wait for the KS. As for the game itself, it's unlikely to be much different from the first print (bar the 10 or so altered cards - wonder if they'll even be changed in 1.4, or just included as extra).

Mr. Poots has said in an interview that all the expansions may not be available from the Kickstarter (most can be bought on the KDM shop anyway), but there's clearly demand, so you never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Tuppenny Halpfenny wrote:
So the announcement that there will be a second print has not deterred the market place to react. Do we think we will be getting what was in the first KS and more, or is it worth getting scalped at the 2nd hand prices?

The reason second hand prices aren't moving yet is there is no timeline for the new printing to ship combined with few copies actually up for offer. At the very least prices are unlikely to move until the kickstarter details are released, which is unlike to happen before launch, because they have no reason to move before then. Personally knowing a reprint is coming I think you'd be crazy to buy second hand unless you found a very good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think the second hand market thrives on uneducated buyers who don't know the cadence of release or value of the goods. There are entries for what's on sale now in the official store for 100%+ markup on eBay with titles like OOP, SOLD OUT, etc. The sellers are just anticipating for when they're pulled off the front page of the store.
At the moment each months release has come with a reprint of one formerly "sold out" piece. Last month had the white speaker sword hunter for instance. This month we have the flower witch apprentices (~$300 second hand market) and flower witch (~$75 second hand market) in plastic bundled with the halloween figures for $100. Unless a meteor hits I don't think anything that's ever been sold by Poots is truly "Out of Production". Every piece which is no longer for sale will be recirculated eventually.

I don't think the new kickstarter will have deals on the same level as the first one. Poots claims that project only broke even over last gencon. That's what 4 years to turn a profit?
There will be a discount, but I doubt it's going to be as insane as the first one.

I don't think the second hand market will be effected by the second Kickstarter. Not when it launches and not when it delivers. There was a lot of uncertainty as to whether Poots could keep Kingdom Death alive early in development or delivery. If it had failed then the exclusive figures may well have appreciated insanely over the years. This led to a lot of panic buying and some insane deals going on over eBay and other markets. This taught sellers they could buy a figure, put an insane markup and just relist it till it sold. The figures are easily storable and eBay gives you enough free listings to keep a number of lots up indefinitely without incurring fees. This made them ideal candidates for scalping.
As the knowledge of the game grows and the company stabilizes the consumers will become less easy to scalp. The scalpers will be forced to either offer their figures at a competitive price or go scalp something else. I predict you won't see any insane price gouging at all in about three years. This gives the second Kickstarter time to deliver and the player base grow.

If I were you I'd wait for the second kickstarter. Even if you can't wait for the project to deliver I highly doubt it's going to cause the scalpers to INCREASE their asking prices. You can make your decision to buy then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you look at the sales vs the asking price, you'll see that almost no one actually buys the game at that price. If you're attentive and watch bartertown, Craigslist and Reddit for offers you might find a copy near retail price. I found a new copy about a month ago on Bartertown at retail. Gamers are less likely to gouge you, and if you don't compete in an auction you're likely to get a better price.

As others have said, the Kickstarter just means there will be a reprint, with some minor fixes. I think Poots said that he'll be making some kits to fix the errors for existing buyers, but that could be my imagination. Regardless, it will be a while before copies are actually available as they'll need to be printed and shipped. You may want to watch some other sites where the game may be listed for a more reasonable price and see if you can nab anything.

With a huge purchase like this, I would suggest a different approach than usual. Think about what you're willing to pay for the game, given its retail of $400, and balance it against how badly you want it. I personally sold a bunch of stuff to pay for my copy because I'm a man of little patience, but I also got lucky. A lot of people put 50+ hours into playing the game, not to mention building the minis and painting them. I'd say that if you enjoy the miniature hobby aspect of the game you'll get your money's worth before you even play it. Otherwise, maybe wait but it's going to take at least 6 months and probably more like a year for new copies to roll out unless a run has already been printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excited for this. I refuse to pay ePay prices or "demand" prices for this game. There are SO many great games out there right now that paying more than retail is just silly. I'll be going all in on this upcoming KS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaGeRit wrote:

I don't think the new kickstarter will have deals on the same level as the first one. Poots claims that project only broke even over last gencon. That's what 4 years to turn a profit?
There will be a discount, but I doubt it's going to be as insane as the first one.

Yes it took 4 years to turn a profit but it really only got released about a year ago is that right ??

And lets not kid ourselves ... dont think Poot isnt the biggest supplier of the games that are available on ebay - He would be crazy not to throw his hat in the ring on those sales !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
lets not kid ourselves ... dont think Poot isnt the biggest supplier of the games that are available on ebay - He would be crazy not to throw his hat in the ring on those sales !!

After years spent building a professional brand and reputation working on his masterpiece, he'd be crazy to throw it all away scrounging a few extra bucks on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:

And lets not kid ourselves ... dont think Poot isnt the biggest supplier of the games that are available on ebay - He would be crazy not to throw his hat in the ring on those sales !!

Evidence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

Evidence?
\

Probably not. I mean, if our evidence is only that it would make good business sense to sell on Ebay, then it doesn't actually fit in with anything he does.

Plus, it doesn't actually make great business sense- because of the amount of time you have to wait for things to sell on Ebay, while ones in his store tend to disappear overnight.

The ebay prices are much more reasonable than it looks- remember the ones that you see on Ebay all the time are the ones that do not sell. Ebay doesn't let you check out sold auctions.

Also- when Poots needs to make a quick buck, we all know what he does. He brings back some of the old resin minis that sold out really quick, and watches them sell out really quick again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:

The ebay prices are much more reasonable than it looks- remember the ones that you see on Ebay all the time are the ones that do not sell. Ebay doesn't let you check out sold auctions.

????

You can search completed auctions as well as filtering for just sold, completed listings for either auctions or BIN. This gives a solid view of where the market is at. KD stuff tends to sell around 30% higher than MSRP after it goes OOP with various price spikes here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
What's the resale value like on KD:M? (I mean, with built models?) Probably going to be my biggest hurdle with the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
What's the resale value like on KD:M? (I mean, with built models?) Probably going to be my biggest hurdle with the game...

I don't know outside the US, but in the US it's been mostly centered around $650 for the base game. Price spikes have sent it as high as $1000+ in some case, but those are pretty rare. There was a period where it was about $800-$900 just after it went OOP, but things settled down pretty quickly. That's just for the base game, not the KS Survivor Package. Built verse unbuilt doesn't seem to matter. If you're a painter, your best bet for money is to build and sell the models individually. People will pay a lot for each of the monsters if they're very well painted. You can unload the game materials by themselves for a few hundred and net well into that >$1000 bucket.

The big question mark on this is what may or may not happen with the reprint kickstarter. Usually you'll see prices on 1st edition stuff drop when a new edition hits that's supposed to be better. I expect that to happen here, but just to suppress prices back to retail levels ($400ish for the base). Those will creep up again as we sit around waiting for the 2nd edition without a clear idea of when it's going to release. Once it releases though, I would expect 1st edition base sets to be much cheaper (possibly down into the $200 range depending on how many 2nd edition copies are made and sold). That's all speculation on my part, but it is a market I keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
If someone from Europe is looking for basic game or expansions the european ebay is the place to hunt. You can get pretty much everything in resonable prices range.

I myself saw 2 reasonable auctions for a basic game today while I was hunting for a Manhunter This is the last one that eludes me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.