Subject: Frequently Asked Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you to the many players that have provided great feedback on the game and where I can improve on clarifying certain rules.

I have posted a FAQ to help those with questions, which I will update periodically. I also plan for a future update to the Rule Book that will be made available to print.

Edit: I have updated the FAQ here to reflect revised rules in the new Rule Book.

Game Setup
Q: Where do I learn where to place Shadow and Quest tokens and how do you place random tokens on the map?
A: Reference the Villain card for instructions on placing Shadow and Quest tokens. For random placement of tokens, randomly pick up tokens and look at the back side for the location space and number to place on the map. If there is a location requirement e.g. Hollows, keep drawing random tokens until the Hollows location is shown on the back of the token.

Q: Do you round up or down for number of tokens based on half the number of Champions?
A: Round up. The game is more challenging with an odd number of Champions, but a player can always play two Champions to help with the difficulty.

Q: How much Gold does my Champion start the game with?
A: The amount listed under Starting Resources. If no Gold is listed, the Champion starts with no Gold. You can get more Gold by defeating Foes (deal the killing blow) or through Scenarios that grant Gold.

Resources and the Hand
Q: Do I also have to pay the Gold cost to use a Resource card that I’ve already acquired?
A: No, the Gold cost is only to acquire the card from the Hand.

Q: If my Champion has a Special Ability to acquire a Resource card from the Hand, do I also have to pay the Gold cost?
A: No. If you use your Special Ability and pass the Test, just pick up the relevant Resource card, attach it to your Champion and restock the Hand.

Q: Relic cards have no acquisition cost listed. Do Relic cards just take up space in the Hand until the required Scenario is completed or is there another way to acquire a Relic?
A: Relics can only be acquired through completing certain Scenarios, but if you have Anton, he can use his Special Ability and attempt to acquire it while on a Hollows space.

Q: How do I restock the Hand?
A: Whenever you spend an Action to acquire a Resource card (whether successful or not) from the Hand, you may also discard another card from the Hand. This means if you acquired a Resource card, you restock the Hand with one card from the Resource Deck. You can also choose to discard an additional card from the Hand and restock with another card from the Resource Deck.

Using Spells
Q: How does bonuses and stacking work with Spells?
A: If Spirits of Rage and Warding are cast on the same space, all Champions on that space get the benefits of both because they give different bonuses. You cannot stack the benefits from multiple copies of the same spell. I.e. you do not get +2 Might for casting Spirits of Rage twice, even if two different Champions each cast Spirits of Rage and are on the same space. You can only stack bonuses from different Resource types e.g. Spirits of Rage + Weapon + Companion + Combat Feat.

Foe Deck
Q: Do we have to use only Epic and generic Foes in relation with the Villain?
A: The Foes associated with the chosen Villain will be most prevalent in that game. The other Foes will only be used when your Villain’s Foes run out, or when directed to place a particular named Foe. The Epic Foes will only be used in relation to the chosen Villain’s Quest cards.

Q: Why does the Foe deck have 3 different card backs?
A: Some Quests and Scenarios direct you to draw a random Foe that is aligned to a specific Villain. Having different backs makes it easier to sort them out without having to look at the front.

Combat
Q: If I kill a Foe when attacking, do I have to make a defense roll?
A: Yes, you must defend against that Foe’s attack. Even though you roll to attack first, attacking and defending is considered to happen at the same time. The defeated Foe is then removed at the end of the round.

Q: If my Champion is alone on a space with multiple Foes in the Combat Phase, how does combat work?

A: If you are alone in combat against multiple Foes, each round you make one attack and then must defend against each Foe on the same space.

Q: Can you give an example of two Champions joining forces in combat?
A: There are two Foes on one space and two Champions on the same space. They all enter combat in the Combat Phase. At the start of each combat round, the Champions can target the same or different Foes. After attacking, they must defend against both Foes, but can normally choose who defends if they attack the same Foe. I.e. one Champion makes the defense rolls against two attacks. If they attack a different Foe, they must then each defend against the Foe that they attacked.

Q: Willpower is used to reroll a die during the Combat Phase, but can we reroll a die during combat in the Scenario Phase?
A: You can use Willpower to reroll in any combat, regardless of phase. While you may spend Willpower to increase a die roll result any time you roll, you can only spend it to reroll once per combat (typically in the event you roll a 1). You reroll only one die and keep the result.

Q: Does the passive ability of rolling 2 dice for all Tests (and keeping the highest roll) on a type of location space apply to combat as well?
A: Yes.

Q: If you have a passive ability that allows for rolling 2 dice and choosing the highest result and also have the Lucky Coin attached, can you use it to reroll for 2 dice?
A: No. The Lucky Coin only allows for one die to be rerolled once per Turn.

Q: If a Foe or Villain has a special ability that applies at the end of each combat round, does the ability still apply in the same round they are defeated?
A: No.

Q: Does damage against Foes persist or do they heal at the end of each Turn?
A: The damage persists until the Foe is defeated. Use the Foe Health tokens to keep track.

Q: If a Foe targets a Champion with the lowest Agility and there are two Champions with the same Agility in combat, who does the Foe target?
A: The Foe will target one of them at random. Have a roll off to determine who is targeted.

Q: When do you use a Combat Feat and how long does it last?
A: You must choose to activate a Combat Feat before you roll to attack. The effect lasts for the one combat round. The Combat Feat cannot be used again until the next Turn.

Scenarios
Q: If a Champion is in a Scenario that has combat, other Champions join to help and the initiating Champion Retreats, what happens?
A: Whoever gets the killing blow on the final Foe may continue the Scenario and gain the Success portion.

Q: Does Selene’s passive ability apply to all Scenarios or just Quest Scenarios?
A: Just Quest Scenarios.
Q: If a Scenario directs me to enter combat against a specific Foe that has been removed from the game what happens?
A: Combat does not occur and the Scenario ends.

Arawn
Q: If a Foe reaches a Capital in Act 1, what happens next? Do you continually lose Willpower?
A: The Foe would stay there until Act 2. Champions only lose 1 Willpower every time a Foe reaches a Capital. They don’t continually lose Willpower for Foes remaining on a Capital.

Morrigan
Q: If I use a Quest token to negate Morrigan’s ability, does this last the entire combat?
A: No, it only lasts for the combat round. You will have to spend another for the next round to negate her ability for that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary. Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Cenia
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Nice! Thank you!:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this overview but I still don't fully get the combat where multiple foes are involved...

Let's say I am alone with two foes and combat phase just started.

So first round of combat I attack Foe A, then I defend against Foe A and Foe B, right?

Second round of combat I can opt to attack Foe B and then again I have to defend against Foe A and B, right?

This goes until either all foes are gone or my champion is defeated, correct?

Also not sure about retreat - it's pretty obvious in the scenario I moved to a space during my action phase. In the case of a retreat I just move back (if I am able). But how would this work if I linger on space for a turn or so? Do I just need to remember from where I came from 2 turns ago?

Thanks,
Markus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
JoystickZ wrote:
Thanks for this overview but I still don't fully get the combat where multiple foes are involved...

Let's say I am alone with two foes and combat phase just started.

So first round of combat I attack Foe A, then I defend against Foe A and Foe B, right?

Second round of combat I can opt to attack Foe B and then again I have to defend against Foe A and B, right?

This goes until either all foes are gone or my champion is defeated, correct?

Also not sure about retreat - it's pretty obvious in the scenario I moved to a space during my action phase. In the case of a retreat I just move back (if I am able). But how would this work if I linger on space for a turn or so? Do I just need to remember from where I came from 2 turns ago?

Thanks,
Markus

Hi Markus, you are correct on all counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Smith
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm possessed and cannot enter combat, what happens if I get ambushed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
dappersparq wrote:
If I'm possessed and cannot enter combat, what happens if I get ambushed?

Really good question! I'd say the intent is for Possessed to be a negative condition that shouldn't make you immune to being Ambushed. You just cannot choose to enter combat or perform actions such as moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.