Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Block Movement when Raising a Seige rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Percival Tevey
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have a question regarding sieges that I don't think has been answered anywhere else.

Say I have two blocks in a castle that is currently besieged by a large enemy force (we'll say six blocks). During my turn, I bring in an army of four blocks to try to raise the siege. However, I lose the battle, having to lose three blocks.

What is the proper procedure for deciding how many blocks remain in the castle under siege after I retreat the rest of my army? If I choose to lose one of the two blocks that was originally under siege, can I fill that slot with a block from the army that marched in to raise the siege? Can I choose to have everyone retreat if I so choose? Or (assuming I chose to kill one block from the besieged force and two from the attacking army) would I have no choice but to leave the one block besieged that was in the castle before the start of the battle and retreat the two remaining blocks from the attacking army?

Summed up, can you have any mixing of forces in the event that you fail in the attempt to raise a siege?

Thanks, I've been unsure about this one for a little while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tevey wrote:
Summed up, can you have any mixing of forces in the event that you fail in the attempt to raise a siege?

I don't see anything which says you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Percival Tevey
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well, it would seem in keeping with reality. If I'm attacking a besieger and I fail in my attempt, then my two forces never actually meet and thus don't have an opportunity to swap from inside the castle to the attacking army and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tevey wrote:
Well, it would seem in keeping with reality. If I'm attacking a besieger and I fail in my attempt, then my two forces never actually meet and thus don't have an opportunity to swap from inside the castle to the attacking army and vice versa.

First, at this scale, a battle can represent several days' confused fighting; maybe the besiegers fall back as the relief force nears, then regroups. Second, the game's historical notes have some examples of battlefield behavior which also don't seem in keeping with reality: maybe the siege falls apart because the enemy's commanders can't agree on who gets the honor of leading the attack, or maybe the leader of the relief force explains that he would really like to link up with the forces in the castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.