Subject: Race-specific objectives? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Stinchcomb
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 is a great game, but my standard gaming group has not coped well with too many aspects of the design, so we haven't played in a while. Now I find myself in a predicament - do I just let TI3 sit on the shelf and go unplayed? Or do I change the game design to more suit my group?

Obviously, I'm going to change the game design...wait, what?

Yes, this might seem like a very, very, very bad idea and probably won't work, but I think I have the answer to mend the relations between my group and TI3: Race-specific objective decks!
A couple things I knew needed tweaking for the game to be accepted:
-Pacing of victory point system
-Random, flavorless objectives
-Symmetry of ship design
-Rewards for playing races uniquely, instead of relying on the "all-encompassing" objectives
-Just a little more balance between races
The one thing race-specific objectives wouldn't tweak:
-Symmetry of ship design (another barrel of monkeys in and of itself)

The guidelines I'm going by:
-10 objectives per race
-Decks divided in the following fashion: five "1"s, four "2"s, and an "instant win"
-Keep the X from the "X number of..." original objectives at each tier (1, 2) and apply them differently
-Each race's deck has to be unique, yet balanced equally with the other races'.

The ultimate goal of this endeavor: By creating individual objective decks, the pacing of the game is determined completely by how effeciently each race is played, be it politically, militarily, or otherwise. Since the objectives are based on each race's strengths, judged by their special abilities, "theoretically" if a player plays a race to it's strengths more effeciently than the others in their efforts to dominate the galaxy then they will win. And the timing of the game is now completely based on this effeciency principle, leaving it up to the player as to how fast they win or lose (also adding a great amount of skill/experience needed with each race).

Now, yes, other things would have to be changed(ISC, I'm looking at you!), but I think the overall concept is worthwhile. I'm nearly done with my first draft of the 100 total objectives, but before I go any further I want feedback from people who have played the game probably much longer than I have:
-What do you think of the overall idea?
-Do you think it would "break" any game mechanics I may have overlooked?
-What about ships? Any ideas on how to increase the variety a little?

I'd greatly appreciate ANY feedback! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the Shattered Empire expansion yet? It fixes a lot of problems with the base game, such as the ISC and the bland objectives. It also adds race-specific technologies, which breaks up the symmetry a little. Not exactly what you are aiming for with your variant, but certainly worth a look before you reinvent the wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clinger
United States
Rossford
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that race specific objectives would be a great idea. The races are a bit bland, yes they are different, but they are always doing the exact same thing. It seems unflavorful that the Jol-Nar would wish to win through military dominance of Metacol Rex, while the N'orr succeed by grabbing as much tech as they can. The expansion helps some with its race specific techs and the new, somewhat less broken, strategy cards, but it still doesn't eliminate these silly results where in order to win you have to play to your weaknesses. I say go for it! I would be happy to playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea of the 10 objectives per races is really a great one! I can't wait to see. It will obviously add flavour to each of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo... any news on how this variant is turning out? After my initial few plays, I definitely plan to take up the mantel and run with this idea if Devin isn't around anymore. Sadly, however, I'm too inexperienced at the moment to construct anything this elaborate (i.e. I barely know the races, I barely know what kind of default objectives exist in the game and I have never played a single session).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I created my own variant Race Related Secret Objectives for each race to try an obtain. Like regular SO's 1 of the three is given out at random to the race before the game. This is not the exact same as your idea but it is one that I have used and like.

Here is the link to the file on BGG

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/28500

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls