Subject: Hyde Park/Chicago Gamers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Bates

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Hi folks,

I'm a new grad student at UChicago and am looking for some people who might want to play games from time to time. I have a collection of 30-40 games but no friends to play with!

Favorites include: Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, Food Chain Magnate, Agricola/Le Havre/Caverna, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, Nations, Tzolkin, Keyflower, etc.

I definitely don't like party/social games like Munchkin, Exploding whatevers, or Cards against Humanity. I don't prefer lighter games like Catan or 7 Wonders. Hoping to find someone who likes the same meatier games that I do!

If you're in Hyde Park or close by, let me know if you'd like to meet up sometime. Thanks!

Cheers,
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best luck. I forget what the websites are, but it might be worth posting on the UofC ones if you haven't already. I feel like you might get more traction. We moved from Hyde Park to the north side, so I've got nothing for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goirish 374
msg tools
Tony,

I feel cut from some of the same cloth. i also just moved to chicago (south loop) and am an avid gamer with a sizeable collection--but haven't yet established a gaming group.

I've had fun with lighter games but feel i've definitely outgrown the "gateway games" like catan, ticket to ride, carcassone, etc.

Favorites include: twilight struggle, scythe, TI3, game of thrones, rebellion, brewcrafters, sentinels, new salem, secret hitler, avalon, a few acres of snow.

I also am fascinated by (but inexperienced at) a number of heavier games like Fire in the Lake, Liberty or Death, Washington's War, labyrinth. I anxiously await delivery of Imperial Struggle and Bayonets & Tomahawks...one of these days i will take on Empire of the Sun and Sekigahara.

still trying to wrap my head around FCM and all of uwe's games, but i do love le havre

Most recent fascination: i picked up a copy of "Hands in the Sea" and can't wait to get it to the table. super excited for this.

some resources for you:

www.chicagolandgames.com - there are good indie game stores here, but this is perhaps the best one, at least the best i've come across during my short research period. there is an avid community section which will lead you to:

http://www.meetup.com/chicagogames/ - the chicago game lovers' meetup page. this is a great resource which lays out for you all the different events with a nice calendar layout so you can see which group is meeting tuesday in the pub and which is saturday in the game store and which is demo-ing the new miniatures game or whatever.

i think chicagoland games (also goes by the dicedojo) has a regular weekly regular board game night (wednesdays, maybe?). my schedule is generally a mess, but i'd be down for meeting for games at chicagolandgames some time.

best,
lt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Chicago Euro Boardgames meetup.

https://www.meetup.com/ChicagoEuroBoardgames/

Their last meetup was the first time that I went and there were probably 40 people there or so. We were welcomed shortly after arriving and everyone I met was really nice and accommodating.

Their next event is their Essen Game Spectacular next weekend and over 100 people have RSVP'd

https://www.meetup.com/ChicagoEuroBoardgames/events/23437800...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goirish 374
msg tools
that looks like a great one--thanks adam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua OConnor
United States
Healdsburg
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaEskimo wrote:
Best luck. I forget what the websites are, but it might be worth posting on the UofC ones if you haven't already. I feel like you might get more traction. We moved from Hyde Park to the north side, so I've got nothing for you.

I'm on Northside, I'd like to play 1775 or similar. Check out my collection, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.