Michael
Switzerland
Lyss
Bern
flag msg tools
Like many other players, i think baratheon is too strong in this position, with all the NPC-houses in the south. Now what can we change to make it harder, to conquest the south?
Why not use the tides of battle-cards to make the battles more risky and interesting? Like the play with the housecards in a regular battle.

My idea is, that the player draw battlecards, after he move into the NPC-area. Then the player play a housecard from his hand, like in the base rules. When the player attack a castle, he draw two battlecards and when he attacks a stronghold, he have to draw three cards. The strenght on the battlecard increase the strenght on the NPC-token.
Every sword-icon on the housecard increase the player-strenght by one. On the otherhand will every fortification-icon on the battlecard negate a sword on a housecard.
If the player wins the battle, he can remove the NPC-token from the board and occupy this area. When the player loose the battle, he have to retreat his army and kill one unit per undefeated sword-icon on the battle card. A skull-icon can not be defend and the player must kill a unit for every skull-icon.
With this variant, you can use your housecards for the battles with the NPCs and have more base-rule-like gameplay. Aditionally you must not create new elements, like board-overlays, new tokens, new start-positions etc.
And house baratheon has a much more harder and painfully experience on his way in the south.

What you think about this, guys? Is this the solution for the unbalanced 4p-Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Variant for dynamic NPC-battles
Just close the south out in 4 players.

For 5 players play with Martel and Tyrell instead of GJ easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Switzerland
Lyss
Bern
flag msg tools
I will not have this huge board on my table, when i can't use 30% of this.
The temptation for Lannister and Baratheon to take the south is very themtically and a interesting part of the game. It's fascinating to watch your enemy, when they scatter their armies over the board and loose strength in center Westeros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Lun Chin
Taiwan
flag msg tools
One suggestion is to put a Neutral force token on Sea of Dorne and Redwyne Straight with neutral force 2. In that case, you need to march one ship with +1 march order token, two ships with +0 march order token, or 3 ships with -1 march order token to conquer these two sea area. Before anyone remove the neutral force tokens on those two sea area, you cannot directly muster ship on them. I think making these two sea area a little bit harder to control might be a good balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fankman wrote:
I will not have this huge board on my table, when i can't use 30% of this.
The temptation for Lannister and Baratheon to take the south is very themtically and a interesting part of the game. It's fascinating to watch your enemy, when they scatter their armies over the board and loose strength in center Westeros.

No it isn't... Thematically nobody bothered to move their armies south to Martel or Tyrell regions, so yeah it's not. Secondly if Lannister spares units to conquer the empty spaces on the board, GJ will wipe him, leaving with Baratheon going on a solo conquest in the south. Why Baratheon, well Starks don't really like Patchface as well as Salador San in a couple of turns. So yeah, Baratheon automatically wins by getting: DS, KL, Crackclaw, Storm's end, Sun Spear, Starfall and either Harrenhall or Yornwood. That is doable in round 4... At the same time Starks still consolidate and solo conquer the poor north regions, while Lannister is probably getting his last units removed from the board by GJ.

Baratheon can do that without even fighting or being diplomatic, just march/consolidate.

The game is designed to play with 6 players. If you want to play 4 get AFFC... and guess what you'll still have 30% of the board off limits, just because the creators figured out their flaw.

I hope this helps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Switzerland
Lyss
Bern
flag msg tools
Okay, we've tested my variant with the aggressive neutral forces. And generally it works well. To evaluate the risk, whether it is worth to attack, is very exciting. If you want too much, you can loose a lot.
I think the creator has a good reason, because he do want not completly block the whole south. He wants motivate the players to conquer the neutral lands.
But in the moment, the neutrals are too weak and also with my variant.

Now i changed some parameters:
The setup has all neutral tokens, like the description in the rules. Aditionally every area with a castle gets a soldier on it, and every area with a stronghold gets a knight. For example Sunspear has now a strenght of 7. Areas without castle or stronghold has no units.
If you attack a area with a unit and the neutral player loose the battle (and you played no sword or the neutral player defend your sword), he must retreat his unit in another neutral area. The player can decide in whitch area the unit have to retreat.
If the neutral player can't retreat his unit in a neutral area (exclusive the area where the agressor come from), the unit must remove from the board. Now you can remove the neutral token on the battlefield and you can take this field.

With this variant become the neutral forces very strong and become much more stronger in the late game (especially when the units not been killed and have retreated often). So it will be a kamikaze-commando to conquer sunspear ;-)

Battlecards:
-Skull = Player have to kill an unit
-Sword = Kill a player-unit, can be defended by a defense-tower
-Defense-tower = negate a sword on a playercard

Playercards:
-Text = ignored
-Sword = Kill a neutral unit, can be defended by a defense-tower
-Defense-tower = negate a sword on a battlecard

Areas without castle or stronghold:
-Place the neutral token as description in the rulebook
-In case of an attack draw 2 battlecards

Areas with castles:
-Add a soldier
-In case of an attack draw 2 battlecards

Areas with strongholds:
-Add a knight
-In case of an attack draw 3 battlecards

This changes causes a dramatic war in the southern regions and i think it's better as a completly closed part of the map.
Try it, maybe it's a alternative for you. And please let me know, if you have improvements.

Example:
Yronwood has a strenght of 8 points. Baratheon must have a beating argument zu win this battle ninja
In case of victory and when Baratheon don't play a sword, the neutral player can retreat to Sunspear and support the knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.