Of Dreams & Shadows» Forums » General

Subject: solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Very interesting looking project! I know that most pure co-op games can be played solo with one person playing multiple heroes. Is that possible with Of Dreams & Shadows? Can I play 2 characters and it work out or is there hidden information and/or some sort of competition to it as well?

Thanks and have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Alford
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
While you can play solo, you will lose out on part of the experience during the Scenario Phase, when players read story scenarios to each other. About 25% of scenarios involve making a choice without knowing the full consequences for the decision until it is made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response!

So you are saying that on about 25% of the scenarios you are not supposed to know the full consequences of the choice before you make it??
The other 75% of the scenarios do not have any hidden information like that and could be played controlling 2 champions without much difficulty? Do those scenarios have replay value?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I suppose you could put something over the card and just read the first part without temptation to glance at the results, but this is really just a workaround. I suppose solo play is possible, even using all cards, but the experience will probably be somewhat inferior to a game with more than one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
I suppose you could put something over the card and just read the first part without temptation to glance at the results, but this is really just a workaround. I suppose solo play is possible, even using all cards, but the experience will probably be somewhat inferior to a game with more than one player.

thanks, that is what I had figured myself (covering the card with another card to not see the result). I don't have a group to play with, but the story aspect is so intriguing to me with this game it seems like a bit of an interactive novel/ "choose your own adventure" in board game format that would be interesting even solo.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a solo game now and it worked perfectly.

I just hide the bottom of the card under my hand. It worked really fine.

And - it was a lot of fun. But, man - this dragon is hard to beat. Love it.

Epic moments in this game. Epic moments. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
I just finished a solo game now and it worked perfectly.

I just hide the bottom of the card under my hand. It worked really fine.

And - it was a lot of fun. But, man - this dragon is hard to beat. Love it.

Epic moments in this game. Epic moments. surprise

Thanks for the feedback. After reading the rulebook online that is exactly what I plan to do. I am very excited to try this game and am just waiting for it to be available in the USA...

A couple of other quick questions if you don't mind:

-Do you feel like there is much replay value?

-How do you feel that the standees are holding up when you have to change them in and out of the stands/bases? I know in some games when you have to do that very much it ends up damaging the standee and the art--do these have a good fit?

Thanks again for the information and have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- The replay value is limited by the World Scenario cards (so the random encounters you have in play every game).

- The replay value according to the Quest Scenario cards is amazing because you really see 3 cards each game at best.

But all in all, we need more World Scenario cards. The game randomizes enough that the mechanics themselves keep it fresh enough each game (like Defenders of the realm f.e.)

The standees:
The bases are great. They really do not damage the standees at all. But some of them are a little bit loose but not too much. Nonetheless I would not mind to have more bases for every standee. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
- The replay value is limited by the World Scenario cards (so the random encounters you have in play every game).

- The replay value according to the Quest Scenario cards is amazing because you really see 3 cards each game at best.

But all in all, we need more World Scenario cards. The game randomizes enough that the mechanics themselves keep it fresh enough each game (like Defenders of the realm f.e.)

The standees:
The bases are great. They really do not damage the standees at all. But some of them are a little bit loose but not too much. Nonetheless I would not mind to have more bases for every standee. whistle

Thanks for writing back and the feedback. Hopefully additional world scenario expansion kits could be created relatively easily by the creator if the game is successful enough...

Great news about the stands. The art looks so amazing that I would not want to damage any of it! Yes, having enough stands/bases for all of the standees would be great provided they would all fit back into the box easily with bases on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With sleeves the Box is at its Limit.

But yes, the Artwork is - hands down - the Best I have Seen in a board game. AnD I have Seen a Lot.

The drawings are stellar but the choice of colours pushes them to the next Level.

Here you can see the colours of the standees very well. whistle

https://youtu.be/tBWBl4q43Z0?t=5m36s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those of you who have played solo how long does the game take you? Especially if playing with 2 champions solo I was wondering if the game plays quicker than the listed 120-180 minutes?

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I lose within 90 minutes. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.