Subject: Stand Alone Fantasy Novel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shevalier
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -Henry David Thoreau
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday at work I finished listening to Dawn of Wonder: The Wakening, and I am now in need of a new audiobook to listen to. Other fantasy novels that I've loved include LOTR, The Kingkiller Chronicle #1-2, and The Stormlight Archive #1-2. I now, however, have too many novels in which I am waiting for the next book to be released. So what novel should I consider reading next that is a stand alone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton - dragons do Trollope.
The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay - historical fantasy with Norse and Anglo-Saxons.
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers - secret history with pirates, voodoo and the search for immortality.
The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford - a very alt history of the War of the Roses with vampires and other stuff.
Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin - vampires and steamboats
Beauty by Sheri Tepper.
Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
Imajica by Clive Barker.
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Black Opera by Mary Gentle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm gonna break the rules right away by suggesting things that are not stand alone novels. They are, however, old, completed series, which it sounds like is the the real issue here.

I love the books on your list, so these may well be up your alley:

Riddle of the Stars (trilogy) by Patricia McKillip. Music, magic, and transfiguration affect a reluctant hero who has no time for prophesy.

Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Leguin (series, although all of the first three books really stand up as single novels.) Better than LOTR if you ask me.

But if I must pick an actual stand alone novel, it's gotta be:

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Required reading if you are a human being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I second Tim Powers. Last Call is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Earthsea novels. Also you could try some Tad Williams. He has some stand alone and some trilogies which are already finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
Well, I'm gonna break the rules right away by suggesting things that are not stand alone novels. They are, however, old, completed series, which it sounds like is the the real issue here.

Riddle of the Stars (trilogy) by Patricia McKillip. Music, magic, and transfiguration affect a reluctant hero who has no time for prophesy.

Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Leguin (series, although all of the first three books really stand up as single novels.) Better than LOTR if you ask me.

I second the rec of UKL, and I also enjoyed them more than LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

I second the rec of UKL, and I also enjoyed them more than LotR.

I wonder if I should reread these as an adult. All I remember from my young teen reading of these is a general dislike towards Ged.

Stand alone a

Jonathan Strange and Me Norrel - super good
Night Circus
Good omens (pratchett and Gaiman)
Most everything else by Gaiman
Anything by China mievelle (though his stuff wears me out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbreaker or Elantris from Brandon Sanderson

Warbreaker is available in print or you can read it for free from his website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
Warbreaker or Elantris from Brandon Sanderson

Warbreaker is available in print or you can read it for free from his website.

I was about to say the same thing. These are both fantastic standalone novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay - historical fantasy with Norse and Anglo-Saxons.

Seconded! (Or anything else by Kay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In re: Earthsea:

riddlen wrote:
I wonder if I should reread these as an adult. All I remember from my young teen reading of these is a general dislike towards Ged.

Of the six books, only the first one is really about Ged. He is an arrogant little berk that grows up, faces his own darkness, and learns humility over the course of the first book. I think you are supposed to recognize yourself in him and dislike what you see.

Or... You may still not like them.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Damn you George Lucas. You've penetrated my subconscious. Last night my dream was a prequel to a dream I had two weeks ago."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers - secret history with pirates, voodoo and the search for immortality.

This book was ostensibly the source material for the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, but the only actual connection is the macguffin of the search for the "Fountain of Youth". In the book the voodoo and fountain are seriously creepy, while Disney toned all that down for the film. I liked the book a lot, and recommend you give it a listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
All of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett can be read as stand alone, though I feel they are better read as a series. The truly stand alone ones would include Mort, Pyramids, Eric, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, and Small gods.
The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Folding Knife by K. J. Parker
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
And my personal favorite fantasy novel The Once and Future King by T. H. White

Also I will also second The Last Unicorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Ellipse by Paula Volsky. It's sort of "Around the World in 80 Days", but with zeppelin racers and steampunk fantasy. The writing was really good and it made me wish that there was a sequel. But no.

The Element of Fire by Martha Wells. Court intrigue, sorcery, betrayals, and an element of humor.

The Golden Key by Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Robertson, and Kate Elliot. A neat idea, where an artist makes portrait paintings that contain magic spells that can affect the painter's subjects.

The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma. Another fantasy take on the H.G. Wells time travel scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:

Mists of Avalon is part of a fairly big series. But I would second the other two although they are very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
The Element of Fire by Martha Wells. Court intrigue, sorcery, betrayals, and an element of humor.

Another series I'm afraid. The Ile-Rien is up to 5 books so far.

Quote:
The Golden Key by Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Robertson, and Kate Elliot.

Melanie Rawn has done a prequel to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. The premise sounds kind of cliche...a guy gets transported to a faerie world, but the socially stratified faerie society is really interesting, and Williams really writes fantasy races well. I particularly liked how he did the goblins. ("Every goblin story has a hole in it.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

Very different from your normal fantasy trope.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Part of a series really but it can be read stand-alone. Awesome book.

Ancillary Justice/Ancillary Sword/Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

A series, I admit. But the books are quite thin and a great read. Also very different from your "normal" sci-fi.

Finally, Neil Gaiman has written several amazing stand-alone novels as some people here have already mentioned.
Neverwhere
The Graveyard Book
Stardust

American Gods (even though it's continued sort of in Anansi Boys).

Edit: I realize you wrote fantasy and I suggested mostly sci-fi, still my suggestions stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
All of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett can be read as stand alone, though I feel they are better read as a series. The truly stand alone ones would include Mort, Pyramids, Eric, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, and Small gods.
The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison
Watership Down by Richard Adams
And my personal favorite fantasy novel The Once and Future King by T. H. White

Also I will also second The Last Unicorn.

Hard to read MZB and feel good about it considering the sexual abuse and rape of her children she was accused of.

As for The Once and Future King by T. H. White, I thought it was immensely slow and boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So this is a stand-alone novel set in the world of GW's Warhammer Fantasy Battle so it's an edge case, but my suggestion is Beasts in Velvet by Jack Yeovil (Kim Newman). It's a fantasy/crime thriller with some obvious film shout-outs. Very well paced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Mimedestroyer wrote:

Mists of Avalon is part of a fairly big series. But I would second the other two although they are very different.

Last time I looked it was a standalone novel, but that has been a long time. I will have to check the series out.

Doomfarer wrote:

Hard to read MZB and feel good about it considering the sexual abuse and rape of her children she was accused of.

As for The Once and Future King by T. H. White, I thought it was immensely slow and boring.

I am sure plenty of people feel that way about MZB and other situations along those lines. I personally don't ever think/consider the author/creator/etc. of the books/games/etc. that I partake in. In fact I had to look up the name of the authors of all those books I recommended aside from Terry Pratchett and T.H. White. If the story is compelling and enjoyable I will enjoy it and recommend it to others. I definitely respect people that feel and act differently and take those things into account though.

As for The Once and Future King, it does seem to be one of those books that you either hate or love. People find it slow and boring as you have, or love the slow pace and way the story unfolds at that speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
andyl wrote:
Mimedestroyer wrote:

Last time I looked it was a standalone novel, but that has been a long time. I will have to check the series out.

The second book in the series The Forest House was published in 1993, as an uncredited collaboration with Diana Paxson. The last of the Avalon books credited to MZB was Priestess of Avalon in 2000 but in truth Diana Paxson had done most of the heavy lifting on that one. Paxson has continued the series after MZB's death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Sooooooooo good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
I second Tim Powers. Last Call is my favorite.

Thirded, and The Anubis Gates is my favorite.

Guy Gavriel Kay has been mentioned, and is a good choice. I like Tigana.

Little, Big, by John Crowley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.