Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I am asking more about the rules than components. I will be backing this but is it worth getting the old game to scratch that greek god itch till its released? Do both versions share simimlar mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is that the core mechanisms of Mythic Battles: the activation card deck system and the dice system were mostly unchanged into Mythic Battles: Pantheon, although some other parts of the rules were streamlined and the square based map was replaced in the new version by Conan-like irregular areas-based maps.

For more information you can read the series of articles linked in that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and links
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really torn, I own the original and an expansion. Love the game, could never get anyone to play it. I'm not sure if minis will change that by increasing the fan base.

Decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
The original game is definitely great, only let down by the lack of miniatures (for those who like that), or at least a better mean of distinguishing units on the table. Miniatures would have made the original game a bigger commercial hit imho. My wife loves the art too, so i guess i am lucky in getting someone to play it with.

The new one feels more like a skirmish game while the original had more a feel of "armies" moving on the map. Most obvious difference: the gods were not on the ground but rather a theme to the troops. While the system is obviously still good and possibly improved, there's not enough mortals to make it feel like it's really gods to me.

Malifaux is an extremely good game system in the skirmish genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was also wandering about the similarities between the versions, have not played the original yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
The combat system is, as far as i am aware, the exact same so nothing new (or old) between the two games.

The Card drawing for activations is also the same, including the art of war cards.

Different things:

The new game uses area movement over a pre-made board while the original mythic battles used square tiles over a custom-built map for each game or scenario.

The units abilities used to be paid with a resource you could accumulate by "sacrificing" unit activation cards. More powerful units provided more points since their activations were stronger in essence. The new game uses art of war cards to pay for abilities. The former method required more strategic thought in advance, as you needed to think ahead what power you wanted to use, while the new mechanic depends on the drawing of art of war cards instead and is less brain-intensive.

In the original, units use a deck of cards to represent their evolving abilities and stats as they are wounded. The new game uses a larger "reference sheet" with a marker that indicates the current stats.

Miniatures instead of tokens is a huge change. In fact the original game was very good and if they simply had produced a set of miniatures for it in this KS, i'd have backed it instantly.

The new game uses a draft "gang" building format at the start of the game while the old game used point values and "factions" rather than gods. You either played Athena or Hades, and chose your troops from within their selections. The god chosen was more a theme surrounding the troops, as the god themselves didn't partake in the battle.

Heroes were not on the board (monsters were), instead they were more of an event that you could hire and place in your activation card decks. They had interesting effects making your troops more effective depending on what hero appeared. It appealed to me because it gave the game a broader feel...heroes being individuals, they aren't going to fight instead of an army, but could swing a fight in their army's favor wherever they did appear.

-------

My opinion: i still think the original is a better game, missing only miniatures. The new game looks better, certainly, but has a mini-skirmish feel to it...basically i don't feel like it's really gods on the table, as there's too few normal humans around them to feel that epic prowess which i would expect from Zeus or Ares. They went around that by using a setting that made the gods weaker.

I also really dislike the idea of drafting whatever units i want simply due to picking order. It breaks theme to me, since i have no idea why would Cerberus or Minos fight Hades on Athena's behalf. Perhaps it's just because to me, the setting is not convincing enough.

I guess it's one of the decisions where theme is sacrificed for gaming purposes, but i don't think it's implementation is polished enough and it seems too easy to an extent (pit everyone against everyone). They should at least have kept a pool of thematic troops and monsters for the different gods, in a way to ensure distinct playstyle oustide the god itself. There's a "cool" effect in playing with Medusa or Jason or an Nemean Lion, but 2 gods, too many legendary heroes and too many mythic monsters at the same time can saturate the small playfield, themewise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sybaris wrote:
Heroes were not on the board (monsters were), instead they were more of an event that you could hire and place in your activation card decks. They had interesting effects making your troops more effective depending on what hero appeared. It appealed to me because it gave the game a broader feel...heroes being individuals, they aren't going to fight instead of an army, but could swing a fight in their army's favor wherever they did appear.

I don't know the old game but it seems that you could have a lot more units on the board. Is that true? With the new point system, you can have armies consisting out of just 3-4 units (in case of 4 or 2 players, taking 1 God + 2/3 4-point heroes/monsters), which feels a bit small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
It's a very interesting point, which made me realize something of my own perception.

The number of units wil vary depending on the point value you choose. You can play with as few as 6 units or up to 10+, so the true number of units to control may be similar to the new game i believe.

Where the feeling is wildly different is that the tokens represent a much larger number of man-sized troops. In the classic mythic battles you may have 3 units of Hoplites with 1 unit of spartans, along with 2 units of toxotes and 1 unit of sisters of athena. All of these units are each represented by a token on the board. Now you do get an opportunity to hire monsters as well, but generally not more than one per side (if at all), as they are quite expensive. These are represented by a token just like units. Generally speaking, the Athena side has better troops that can support themselves and better ranged attacks, while Hades has better access to faster troops and more monsters.

You get a feeling of being a god looking on the battlefield from above. In mythic battles: pantheon, one guy is one guy, so you have a ratio of 1 god, a few heroes or monsters per side in addition to a handfull of "humans". I get the new game can be quite immersive to those wanting a god vs god arena fight, but it looses some epic proportion in the process.

The modular board is on a much smaller scale in the original game, too, since a unit token can sit on a whole hill or ruin. You get the feeling that it's a larger detachmen of troops rather than a few individuals, and unit abilities also support this. For example the basic troops have the "reinforcement" ability, which gets cheaper and cheaper to activate as the unit is damaged, so these troops are perfect to bear the brunt of the enemy attack and protect the elite forces, as they can can get reserves to recover due to numbers alone, something that elite units can't do. Heroes are not represented by a token, but will appear in your hand from time to time (the frequency depends on the particular hero), and will have specific effects which represent their heroic acts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.