Subject: Beginner's Luck begets a High Level Roaster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some beginner's luck in Coffee Roaster tonight.

First round (Tan, Beginner):

Cuba Crystal Mountain, ideal roast at 14 points, needs a body, an aroma, and an acidity. Mine wasn't as aromatic as it should be, but a skillful, ideal roast and no bad notes led to a score of 15, meaning round 2 was Expert.

Pile to the left contains tokens removed. Pile to the right is the remainder of the bag at the end of the cup test.

Second round (Brown, Expert):

Yemen Mokha Mattari No. 9, ideal roast of 18 points, very aromatic coffee with some acidity. Brie's batch, while brewed somewhat skillfully, was only almost there roast wise, somewhat aromatic and the acidity was missing entirely. This cup scored 12 in the cup test, setting round 3 to the Advanced Level.

Pile to the left contains tokens removed. Pile in the center is the remainder of the bag at the end of the cup test. Given the amount of bad beans and smoke left in the bag, this cup test was a lucky draw.

Third round (Dark Brown, Advanced):
This round's selection was India APA, a coffee with an ideal roast of 20 points, quite aromatic with some body and sweetness. Your serving this round was a bit under-roasted by quite flavorful. The roasting was a bit less skillful than the previous rounds, but this was the best coffee of the night at 17 points.

Pile to the left contains tokens removed. Pile to the right is the remainder of the bag at the end of the cup test. There were certainly enough beans to get to a roast of 20, they were just playing hide and seek.

Overall score was 44 (High Level Roaster).

(Pics are a little blurry at medium level, for a clearer pic, click through and hit large. Sorry!)

thumbsup This is a fun solo game for those that like randomness
thumbsup Lots to think about after the first couple of turns
thumbsup I love my coffee, so the game gets a thumb on theme.
thumbsup Adorable!
thumbsup Good component quality and great insert

thumbsdown First couple of turns can be boring and lack decisions. Later one can as well if the wrong tokens are drawn
thumbsdown The English rules book came taped to the outside of the box. Given that all components with language on them were either in Chinese & English or oddly English only, it struck me as rather odd that the only rule book in the box was strictly Chinese.

Next time I need to play it in the morning or early afternoon so that I can have the appropriate beverage with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the game, but when I got my copy (I bought direct from him), my instructions were in the box, inside the instruction book. Nice little review, have been fiddling around with some houserules over here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the Japanese or Chinese version? Mine is the Chinese version from Homosapiens Labs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game at essen and have the chinese version, my rulebook was also attached outside of the box. I guess the game was printed and ready for distribution, when they decided to print an english rulebook as well. But theres no problem with that, is it? I threw away the chinese one and everything fits in the box nicely!

Also, nice session report! I really like this game a lot, especially for some lonely nights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
Do you have the Japanese or Chinese version? Mine is the Chinese version from Homosapiens Labs.

I bought it direct from him from Japan. I've grown to really enjoy the game, super fun for a few games in a row!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a second game with a similar score (43). I'm really liking this game. I did switch from the bag to my little flower pot though. I can't seem to randomize a bag well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Understood - I try to hold it as close to the top as possible so as to trap as much air in the bag as possible - this way, the pieces all have room to tumble around and randomize! But it can be difficult, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.