Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, while I love the new Warhammer Quest, it doesn't remotely scratch the itch that the original did, which serves as our groups pure co-op, almost RPG-without-gm, on-going dungeon crawl.

I've heard again and again that this is instead the game I need, so I just ordered City of the Ancients, and both Masters of the Void, and the Town/Frontier expansion which I were told were must haves (also because my WHQ group loved the town phase/travel, and i'm told the Frontier expansion added that to this game?).

As to my question, as boxes arrive, or we buy future expansions, are they all existing in a bubble (IE we decide we're doing a Masters of the Void dungeon tonight), or can EVERYTHING be combined into one sandbox that might randomly generate from anything we own?

Also, are expansions rated for what level player they're appropriate for? I've heard people say to buy the other core game, but wouldn't that just add more very low level enemies/gear/quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome! I came to Brimstone two years back after meeting Jason Hill at Gen Con. He sold me on the game telling me that the original Warhammer Quest was one of his inspirations. It definitely shows. If you are a fan of the original WHQ, SoB will deliver on all accounts.

First and foremost, you've done well with your first purchases. One core + Frontier Town + a few enemy boxes will give you a bunch of great content to get started with. I just purchased the Frontier Town last week and have almost finished up with the rules. From what I can tell, the town gives you a BUNCH of new ways to spend time between mine ventures. It also gives you a few neat missions to play on the town board. If you're into homebrew missions and campaigns, this map will lead to TONS of new experiences for you and your group.

The game doesn't have a well defined campaign like Descent. Instead it has a bunch of missions that, while numbered, can be played in whatever order you want. Some enemy packs include a new mission or two that focuses on that specific enemy set. For example, the Serpentmen of Jargono have two missions that revolve around stopping a ritual or escaping the war-torn region being battled over by the different Serpentmen tribes.

The above "lack of large campaign" is one of my only complaints with the game. There's not a real good way to build a campaign either. FFP needs to release a neat campaign book for us to buy...

Whatever the case, to answer your other question, yes - throw it all together. You just add the new cards to the existing decks and get to work! Once/if you buy big boxes or the other core set, you will want to read the FAQ to make sure you adjust the Loot, Scavenge, and Map decks accordingly.

In terms of expansion balance, don't worry. Enemies earn new Elite abilities based upon your posse level. Eventually, they become Brutal variants making them more powerful at baseline. From there, they earn new Elite abilities on top of the Brutal boost and become more dangerous still. Gear and items aren't really level dependent. Instead, you can earn boosts to your stats and earn skills that make you more dangerous in battle. Maybe you get to re-roll all your dice, or you now hit on a 2+ instead of a 4+ - things like that.

Hope that sort of answers your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the excellent reply of Sponge Bob in Love, I would say that you would do better in continuing to buy enemy expansion sets over the Swamps due to the very thing you mentioned which is low level monsters. They scale fine until about level 5 or 6 when even Brutal seems too weak. The newer monster expansion sets are harder so going for those is a better deal.

When you are ready for an entirely different setting, I would grab the deluxe boxed set Trederra (Caverns of Cynder just doesn't have enough to make it a good buy) when it is available for retail. It is so distinct as a world and setting that it makes for an entirely different feel to the game. Of course, you want to look into Forbidden Fortress which is supposed to Kickstart on Halloween.

EDIT: Here's a great review I found online of Trederra:
https://techraptor.net/content/shadows-brimstone-trederra-ot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd point out that the other core set actually adds four whole new classes to the game, so you might be interested in picking that up, too: the Indian Scout, the Preacher, the Rancher, and the Sheriff. (Other classes you can get through FFP's website include the Jargono Tribal Human, the Orphan, the Drifter, the Frontier Doctor, the Prospector, and the Cowboy. The Outlaw was a Kickstarter exclusive, thus is harder to get a hold of.) Honestly, the other Core set almost doubles the size of what you've got with a single set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can and should mix everything together. It adds more variety to what you face.
By the same token, swamps is a great purchase because it almost doubles the number of creature types you can encounter. I say almost because tentacles appear in both, but all the other monsters are different.
As mentioned, it also adds four more classes to the game.
But one of the biggest reasons to get it is it adds a second other world to explore.
Besides jargono being very aesthetically and mechanically different from targa, there are a few monster expansions that specifically are intended for the swamps. Including one of the best ones: t serpentmen of jargono.

When someone asks what to buy after the first core set, the answer is always the second core set, and then frontier town.

Also: the forbidden fortress ks starts tomorrow, for yet a third core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:

The above "lack of large campaign" is one of my only complaints with the game. There's not a real good way to build a campaign either. FFP needs to release a neat campaign book for us to buy...

The Hexcrawl variant is probably better than anything FFP could ever come up with. Adds so much to the game. Makes it a really great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you EVERYONE for the great contributions and for helping me feel more confident that my first purchases were good sound ones. Listen, i'm a game completist, so at this point if the game hooks us, I will end up with everything anyway. Glad to hear it can all be added together, with some small adjustments as well.

So, can someone clarify some of the flow of play? I think i'm confusing how missions are generated. So... missions come on cards? And expansions often add extra missions. Before a session do we just shuffle and draw one?

What specifics do missions demand? Like, is the mission included with Masters of the Void the only way I will encounter those monsters, or do missions not indicated which loot/monsters/etc... to set aside to use during that specific session? As an extention of that, are Swamp themed enemies useless if I don't own that core set, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are in the books, you select which you want to run... the First set of missions in each of the base games is the same but they each have a second set that is specific to that Base Game. Some Enemies (and expansions) come with missions as well...

A mission is basically a framework that tells you how many clues you need to find, if the map is random or static, what type of enemies (if unique) and what the reward/penalty is.

The Cards are used for drawing what you are facing when the Encounter comes up as an attack or Ambush...

I left you a PM... Also contact me there and we can link on Facebook or elsewhere is I can assist...

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
So, can someone clarify some of the flow of play? I think i'm confusing how missions are generated. So... missions come on cards? And expansions often add extra missions. Before a session do we just shuffle and draw one?

No, the missions don't come on cards but are in the adventure books as well as with the enemy expansions. You can randomize them by rolling dice but our group normally just picks one based on the world we want to go to.
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
What specifics do missions demand? Like, is the mission included with Masters of the Void the only way I will encounter those monsters, or do missions not indicated which loot/monsters/etc... to set aside to use during that specific session? As an extention of that, are Swamp themed enemies useless if I don't own that core set, etc?

The monsters are on cards which you draw from depending on the number of heroes in your party--Low to High Threat decks. Whenever you go into a room and flip over the exploration token or the encounter itself will possibly result in drawing from the threat deck. You can modify the draw deck so that you encounter particular monsters and remove or add certain ones. So the type of monsters you encounter is determined by what is in your threat decks.

Otherworlds have their own specific draw decks that do focus on monsters that are particular (or even unique) to that world. But when you are in the mines, you can possibly draw from every single monster type that you own. So for example, if you buy the Serpentmen of Jargono, they work great in the mines and you don't need the Swamps of Death in order to play them (although the chances of drawing them increase in their own home world).

One interesting thing our group has found is that with the addition of the harder enemy packs, we are actually relieved when we draw some of the easier enemies from the core sets whereas before, we were bored of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We made cards for the missions on 3x5 cards cut in half. We just wrote the name of the mission and where to find it (book and pg number)

I think someone uploaded a file here for prettier cards. But my cards are perfect functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so very much guys. I think we have a much clearer picture of how the game unfolds, and how all the mountains of content available, sort of weave together.

As I initially said, Warhammer Quest is our high water mark. Its RPG/Advanced book essentially provided an impossible amount of randomness and variety, and knowing I can KIND OF approach that level of craziness here is reassuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget all the custom fan content (including new missions and monsters) here on BGG.

New Heroes/party compositions will alter how you approach the game. I like the combination of two core sets (City of the Ancients + Swamps of Death) combined with the Frontier Town. Don't rule out the small card expansions available from the Flying Frog web store either. There's some good cards in the various sets.

If you want to go for more content, I'd suggest boxed set expansions (Tredarria, Cynder, Masters of the Void) over individual monster sets (Swamp Slugs, Hell Vermin, Trun Hunters, Targa Guardian). You can add new hero sets as you get tired of the existing heroes.

Flying Frog is a small/medium sized company, so they tend to do print runs and wait for them to sell out before printing more. So if you don't jump on expansion material right away, you may have to wait 6-12 months before it comes back in stock. Don't fall prey to Ebay sellers wanting big $$$ for expansions that will eventually come back into print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Addressing the main question, some missions will specify only certain enemy types come into play (only void enemies, only restless dead, etc). Otherwise, the standard method of "mix everything into one big pile" works. You could also tailor the threat decks to fit a specific theme you had in mind before beginning the adventure. Perhaps a trip to swampy Jardango means the mines are only populated with Swamps of Death enemies for example; Or maybe a hunt for a band of outlaws on Indian Burial Grounds means the mines only feature outlaws, restless dead, and Blackfang Ghosts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Do the bigger, tougher monsters from the expansions give any guidelines on when you should encounter them?

The whole "mix everything in there" strategy sounds pretty dangerous if you've tossed in a level 7 monster into the deck for your pack of level 1 and 2 heroes.

Any advice here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Do the bigger, tougher monsters from the expansions give any guidelines on when you should encounter them?

The whole "mix everything in there" strategy sounds pretty dangerous if you've tossed in a level 7 monster into the deck for your pack of level 1 and 2 heroes.

Any advice here?

All of the monsters scale depending on the size and experience of your posse. Every monster profile has a normal and "brutal" level as well as several "elite" abilities that come into play depending on what level your posse is at. The size of your posse will then determine how many monsters are encountered.
Essentially, level 1 and 2 heroes will only encounter level 1 and 2 monsters no matter what you throw in there.
Some of the truly huge monsters (such as Bel'ial or the Burrower, which are not yet available at retail) do recommend that you not use them with lower level posses but everything currently available will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is my situation:
I got 'City of the ancients' and 'Swamps of Death'. The supplment pack (without artifacts of cynder) are on their way.
I going to play the hell out of that content and I bet I'll get 'Frontier Town' somewhere down the road.

Expanding on the enemy-side.
What make the most sense to stay on theme?
For the swamps it's the serpentmen and maybe the slugs.

But CotA? I don't want anymore XXL-bosses. Since epic threat don't apear that often with one or two players it does not seem to make sense.
I there a deluxe enemy pack for CotA?

And are there some enemy packs for Frontier town? Scaffold Gang perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
So here is my situation:
I got 'City of the ancients' and 'Swamps of Death'. The supplment pack (without artifacts of cynder) are on their way.
I going to play the hell out of that content and I bet I'll get 'Frontier Town' somewhere down the road.

Expanding on the enemy-side.
What make the most sense to stay on theme?
For the swamps it's the serpentmen and maybe the slugs.

But CotA? I don't want anymore XXL-bosses. Since epic threat don't apear that often with one or two players it does not seem to make sense.

My Suggestions for COTA and Frontier Town:

Targa Guardian
Pylons and custodians
Undead Gunslinger and Gang
Scafford Gang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
You can encounter the Targa Guardian as both an Epic threat and a regular L/M/H Threat. Note that there is an Epic Threat card with TWO Guardians - just a note if you're a completionist. Or you can just at the Elite ability for the missing model otherwise.

If you get the Custodians with a Guardian (or two), it's a vastly different battle because the Custodians can repair robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:

Masters of the Void is a generic - and great! - deluxe enemy pack. I don't remember if it came with Other World Threat cards; I don't think it did but I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.