$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zaporavo's support skill and the Bossonian Archers with re-roll arrows on both dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Hi everybody!

As I understand the latest information about the rules for re-rolls, a re-roll arrow on a die icon grants one re-roll to one die, and each die can benefit from at most one re-roll arrow.
The re-roll action can be used any number of times (until no more gems are available) and can be used on the same die repeatedly.

Along comes Zaporavo. He wants to kill Bêlit. He says:

"I have the Support skill. I will stand next to my loyal Bossonian archers and increase their effectiveness by allowing them an extra re-roll!"

Bêlit, furious, replies:

"Oh no you don't! Your syphilitic, arrow-spewing bought Bossonian lackeys already have re-roll arrows on both their dice, and each die can benefit from a re-roll only once!"

A clash of two tremendous wills ensues. Who will emerge the winner?

Who is indeed in the right? If Zaporavo is not able to use his Support skill to enhance the archers, then the scenario "Hunting the Tigress" - which is already very hard for the Overlord - become still harder for him to win.

So the question is:

Is the extra re-roll afforded by the Support skill legal no matter how many dice have re-roll arrows (working like a gem used for a re-roll action), or does it work as a normal re-roll arrow and is consequently only of value if there is at least one die without a re-roll arrow on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tend to live dangerously by adhering to the following general boardgames rule:

If a text on a card/component contradicts the rulebook, the text on the card/component overrides the rules-as-written (aka RAW).

What that means, to me at least, is that characters with support grant one reroll on top of any potential rerolls. I might be wrong of course, so take this with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derphausen wrote:
Characters with support grant one reroll on top of any potential rerolls.

Yes, I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
Derphausen wrote:
Characters with support grant one reroll on top of any potential rerolls.

Yes, I agree.

BUT... each die can only be rerolled for free one time, regardless of how many free rerolls are available (this has been verified by BadKam (from Monolith) in another thread).

So... if a unit's dice all include free rerolls, Zappy's free reroll bonus effectively provides no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe use Zaporavo's reroll for other dice then shooting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
BUT... each die can only be rerolled for free one time, regardless of how many free rerolls are available (this has been verified by BadKam (from Monolith) in another thread).

So... if a unit's dice all include free rerolls, Zappy's free reroll bonus effectively provides no effect.

No, if a unit (like Pict Hunters) has 2 yellow re-rollable dice that means each die can be re-rolled once for free (but its' not a definitive limit to re-roll dice).
If someone's got the "support skill" on the same area than the pict hunters, you can re-roll 1 yellow die chosen between the 2 already rolled, even if you've done your free re-rolls.

Ex : I do a melee attack with a pict hunter, I'm throwing 2 yellow dice and obtain : 2 and 0.
I decide to keep the 2 and make a free-reroll with the 0. I obtain 0. If my pict is alone on the area I can only pay gems to do other re-rolls.
But, if an ally with the "support skill" is on the same area, I can re-roll one die of my choice for free. So I can re-roll another time the 0.

Support is not a useless skill, but a powerful one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

No, if a unit (like Pict Hunters) has 2 yellow re-rollable dice that means each die can be re-rolled once for free (but its' not a définitive limit to re-roll dice).
If someone's got the "support skill" on the same area than the pict hunters, you can re-roll 1 yellow die chosen between the 2 already rolled, even if you've done your free re-rolls.

Ex : I do a melee attack with a pict hunter, I'm throwing 2 yellow dice and obtain : 2 and 0.
I decide to keep the 2 and make a free-reroll with the 0. I obtain 0. If my pict is alone on the area I can only pay gems to do other re-rolls.
But, if an ally with the "support skill" is on the same area, I can re-roll one die of my choice for free. So I can re-roll another time the 0.

Support is not a useless skill, but a powerful one.

That seems to contradict BadKam in thread 1657999, where he says, in big letters:

BadKam wrote:

Each die can only be re-rolled for free once

You can roll, re-roll for free (if the die shows the arrow on top), but each new re-roll has to be paid in gems; even if you have "left outs" from the other re-rollable dice

i can envision an interpretation of Support which treats such free rerolls "differently" than dice-symbol rerolls, but i see no wording which supports the interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's a contradiction at all. BadKam was talking about a specific situation that didn't include the Support skill. He was only talking about that specific question regarding the arrow symbols on the dice icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
I don't think that's a contradiction at all. BadKam was talking about a specific situation that didn't include the Support skill. He was only talking about that specific question regarding the arrow symbols on the dice icons.

Yes it is. "Support skill" give you the opportunity to re-roll 1 die of your choice in any type of action (attack, defense, manipulation, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Thank you to everyone who took part in this discussion.

I will go with the interpretation that the Support skill re-roll is allowed to re-roll a die even if the die has already been rerolled by a re-roll arrow icon.

I hope this will be addressed by Monolith in the upcoming rulebook 2.0 or in some Reference Cards 2.0 or in a FAQ, because it seems to me that a clarification like that could prevent some questions around the table.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:

I will go with the interpretation that the Support skill re-roll is allowed to re-roll a die even if the die has already been rerolled by a re-roll arrow icon.

I hope this will be addressed by Monolith in the upcoming rulebook 2.0 or in some Reference Cards 2.0 or in a FAQ, because it seems to me that a clarification like that could prevent some questions around the table.

Cheers!

The rules writing can be improved, but the gameplay of this game is amazing !
I try to help because I believe this game is really a great game and it would be too bad not trying it because of the way the rules are written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Pallantides wrote:
Uthin wrote:

Cheers!

The rules writing can be improved, but the gameplay of this game is amazing !
I try to help because I believe this game is really a great game and it would be too bad not trying it because of the way the rules are written.

What Pallantides said.

TIMES INFINITY!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Archers gain 1 re-roll from their tile.

Zaporavo gives another re-roll from his Support ability.

Normally, in similar games, you are allowed to gain similar benefits from different sources.

Whether or not you want to extrapolate from other games into Conan is up to you. But personally, I'd say Pallantides et al's reasoning is reasonable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Chinkster wrote:
The Archers gain 1 re-roll from their tile.

I believe the Bossonian Archer tile has the reroll icon on both their yellow dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je t'aime, Pallantides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
Je t'aime, Pallantides!

modestmodestmodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.