Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does a survivor on a spawn point suppress the spawn for that point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny question I know but I have two youTube videos who are playing it each way so I thought I'd ask. Can't find anything in the manual that says yes. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a survivor is on zombie spawn during the zombie phase, then zombies still spawn there. Absolutely nothing except for a Double Spawn card prevents zombies from spawning, and even then it's not a prevention but rather bumping it over to another location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you can actually see down streets and thus know what is coming to a spawn point, one would like for the spawns to happen off board before the player turn so you can take it into account ... unless the zombies have a Star Trek transporter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that spawn points can show up pretty much anywhere, even inside buildings, consider them to be one-way (except in the case of Necromancer escape) portals that the Zombies are arriving through. That easily explains why they suddenly appear there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Given that you can actually see down streets and thus know what is coming to a spawn point, one would like for the spawns to happen off board before the player turn so you can take it into account ... unless the zombies have a Star Trek transporter.

How boring would that be? That's what's great about the double spawn mechanic. It completely randomizes the spawns. You can't guess what or how many are appearing at any point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Given that you can actually see down streets and thus know what is coming to a spawn point,

Actually, you never see it coming! And someone will always go down into a dark basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Crofton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a video where people do that - it's just a house rule, makes the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant_C wrote:
I've seen a video where people do that - it's just a house rule, makes the game easier.

To a huge degree... Especially with Necromancers, as you can just wait for them to come to you, and eventually have one Survivor camping one Zone with all but one of the Spawn points blocking all Spawns.

It's a broken house rule, especially with Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like there should be a way to block or destroy a spawn zone -- somehow. Like converting it to an abomination or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I feel like there should be a way to block or destroy a spawn zone -- somehow. Like converting it to an abomination or something.

There is! Kill a Necromancer and remove the Spawn Zone. Of course, the Necromancer created a new Spawn Zone somewhere else, so the total number on the board won't decrease, but you can get them away from key areas at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but I want to destroy them, like deleting a zone when you kill an abomination? Yes there are probably more zombies but you can imagine there being a limited amount locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Yes but I want to destroy them, like deleting a zone when you kill an abomination? Yes there are probably more zombies but you can imagine there being a limited amount locally.

Logistically how does that make sense?

You start the game in blue level with useless weapons and 4 spawn points... To eventually increase to red level with killer weapons and 1 spawn zone?

We do the opposite, we continue to increase the spawns with necromancers and keeping them there if the necromancers escapes. The rule we change is the game is not lost once at 6 spawns. We just keep adding them.

Makes for a much more vibrant and involved game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Logistically how does that make sense?

You start the game in blue level with useless weapons and 4 spawn points... To eventually increase to red level with killer weapons and 1 spawn zone?

We do the opposite, we continue to increase the spawns with necromancers and keeping them there if the necromancers escapes. The rule we change is the game is not lost once at 6 spawns. We just keep adding them.

Makes for a much more vibrant and involved game.

Yes that is a problem, but depending on how hard it is to destroy, we may be talking about destroying 1 spawn point or 2 or even destroy a spawn point left by a necro. You don't have to destroy all of them. I don't know. Do you really like winning a game technically while looking at the board and knowing the characters would actually die next round?

Besides the writing in the manual seems to indicate that things aren't as bleak as in normal zombie movies. Maybe they're overly optimistic but even Walking dead tends to get to slack periods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree that there would be slack periods, but those would be in between missions, no?

As for the rest, I don't know, I kind of think of it as a video game. There's some level of satisfaction out of putting the game on Hardcore Insanity difficulty and successfully beating it lol. But I guess I'm old school like that. Doom (original), Diablo, Carmageddon, Civ II and Wolfenstein 3D were my introductory games... when the easy levels were destructively difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.