Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How is the replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
On average, after how many plays should I start expecting this game to get stale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to predict the long term effect of the game, but 10 plays in, I am still enjoying myself. My last two plays included the expansions, which adds quite a bit to the variety with investigators and monsters. I haven't played Rising Tide or Dearly Departed yet, so I think I have at least another 6 hours of content even if I only ever play those once. Of course, copious expansion material from FFG and new scenarios will be coming, so that should add plenty of replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's low. Scenarios are fixed. I play the game for the story and it stays the same.

They should have released more tiles and no crappy minis. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
I have bothered expansion but I cannot play 1 scenario with a key mark titles .I dont have them in boxes! What to do now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very very low:

if you are a skilled player --> 5-6 play
if you not --> 10 play

100$ for that is bad

players are consumers, continue to buy blindfolded .. and this hobby gets worse day by day

people now believe that expansion is synonymous of replayability, replayability must be implicit in the game not obliged to purchase expansions, and in this case there is no replay value
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Very very very low:

if you are a skilled player --> 5-6 play
if you not --> 10 play

100$ for that is bad

players are consumers, continue to buy blindfolded .. and this hobby gets worse day by day

people now believe that expansion is synonymous of replayability, replayability must be implicit in the game not obliged to purchase expansions, and in this case there is no replay value
that's the big problem with the second edition..no real replayability..and a distinct lack of expansions...the first edition came with a lot more quests etc than second edition just the core box alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:

if you not --> 10 play

Given that the majority of my collection has never seen 10 plays, I'm pretty happy with that, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough one this. Whilst much has already been said regarding the replayability of the 1E vs 2E, as a previous owner of the 1E I found it never got to the table due to the overlord requirement and the fiddly setup. I've already played the 2E much more than the first and only completed the first two scenarios. So the 1E may be more replayable but the 2E has given me better value for money.

I should add that we don't tend to play the same games over and over again in a short space of time. Our plays are more spaced out so that might lead to it not getting stale as quickly as it might for some.

Even with the app restriction, I can see the possibility for variants or even a user made app in the future to further increase the replayabiity of the 2E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin von Grimmenstein
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
For me, I think the game has replayability but not immediate replayability.
So it's not something I could play the same scenario each week but replaying a scenario maybe once ever few months/a year is fine. I assume it will feel fresh again since I will most likely forget things about the story and what items do and where they are located. I see it having long term replayability that I hope to continue to play for multiple years. I see this maybe becoming a halloween staple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-3 plays per scenario depending on the difficulty of the scenario. On average 2 plays per scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm satisfied so far. It's taken me 8 plays to get through scenarios 1 and 2. Please note, I'm not playing balls to the wall trying to min-max efficiency. I'm playing for the story and suspense (and we've felt tension at the end of every game so far).

I bought the collection of 1st edition expansion content, and I plan to get the DLC scenario. I think I'll get my money's worth out of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Shooock wrote:

if you not --> 10 play

Given that the majority of my collection has never seen 10 plays, I'm pretty happy with that, actually.

but this is a your problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it about 10 times with mainly scenarios 1&2 and still am not tired of it. We've gotten some similar descriptions and tests, but completely different House designs and three different end games to win. I agree the replay ability isn't as much as first edition, but there were also some completely unplayable scenarios in first edition too. So far I've felt like I've gotten my money's worth out of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Beloch wrote:
Shooock wrote:

if you not --> 10 play

but this is a your problem

a "problem" he shares with a lot of players. Like me, for example...
I would actually be quite happy if my copy ever sees more than 5 base game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wish I had either more time to play, or more self-control to stop buying new games till I played the old ones more! But as Mark says, I don't think I'm alone.

I today finished my 5th session. Each has taken around 3 hours. So 15 hours of play.

So far I've completed s1 twice (1 win) and s2 three times (still no wins!)

So I have 4 scenarios left to play, and I would happily play s1/s2 several times more before I'm sick of them.

Very happy with the replayability factor. Not saying everyone will be - but I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Brandonboards wrote:
On average, after how many plays should I start expecting this game to get stale?

Right now not many. Being digital it should be incredibly easy for them to release new scenarios to keep things fresh. But until they get this digital thing figured out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
I do wish I had either more time to play, or more self-control to stop buying new games till I played the old ones more! But as Mark says, I don't think I'm alone.

I today finished my 5th session. Each has taken around 3 hours. So 15 hours of play.

So far I've completed s1 twice (1 win) and s2 three times (still no wins!)

So I have 4 scenarios left to play, and I would happily play s1/s2 several times more before I'm sick of them.

Very happy with the replayability factor. Not saying everyone will be - but I am.

I have to agree with this. After 4 plays of s1 (3 wins), 3 plays of s2 (no wins either), 1 play of s4 (won) and 1 play of s6 (lost) I am still keen to play any of the scenarios again (even s1). Replayability is fine as far as I can tell so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, good to hear I'm not alone. Also: very pleased to see that Innsmouth (s2) is screwing you, too. Tough, innit?! Another reason to rate replayability, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berger
United States
Wadsworth
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

About an hour into game 1 for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, for my experience, each scenario is one shot.
Tiles can change, events can be different, but when you know what to do and where to go, it is pretty boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We re-played a scenario last weekend, with friends who had not yet played. We let them make the discoveries, and only helped with mechanics. I think we enjoyed it even more than the first time we played.

Especially with more content coming, I really don't understand why some people are still feeling like this game has no legs.

Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In two plays of the first scenario, I won one, lost the other. Totally different map. Didn't seem to help that I "knew" what was coming, because it turned out that I really didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
Tiles can change, events can be different, but when you know what to do and where to go, it is pretty boring.

So which is it? One shot? Or one shot "when you know what to do and where to go"? Because you can't know what to do and where to go, first time you "one shot" it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Madazam wrote:

So which is it? One shot? Or one shot "when you know what to do and where to go"? Because you can't know what to do and where to go, first time you "one shot" it.

Some people like only experiencing the unknown and reacting to that to see the narrative. Some people enjoy trying to beat a set of obstacles in different ways or with different characters and probably like the second or third play-through more than the blind experience of the first attempt.

There's not much question that too many of the scenarios don't have enough variability. The first one has that, the rest not so much, so the only real additional variability comes from different play groups or different characters. Some people find that enough, some don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I've played the Cycle of Eternity scenario seven times and will play it more. Only just tried out a new one (Escape form Innsmouth). Its a lot like watching a movie multiple times. Some people enjoy it, some don't. I like to repeat it to share it with different friends (I am fortunate enough to have many boardgamers around me). And during repeats I also like to explore and analyse the design. It differs from movies of course in that there are multiple paths to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.