Subject: Rules about Paintings questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello:

In the picture on the US Box and in the rulebook, we noticed that all of the paintings are placed in spaces against walls (as if the paintings were hanging on those walls).

Question: Can the paintings be placed on other spaces in the rooms besides against the walls?

Also, while I'm here: the rules say that characters cannot land on a painting (pg 8), but can the characters walk through a painting?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paintings can be placed anywhere except in front of any window or door. So yes, you can place them in the middle of a room not adjacent to a wall.
This particular rule came from the Parker Bros. team. Originally, paintings were always next to a wall. When Milton Bradley had their chance with the game before Parker Bros., they actually put "little dots" in the center of the certain spaces showing where paintings could be placed. (Only adjacent to walls.) I'm glad that the Parker team did away with that limiting setup rule. The game is much better without it.

Characters may "move through" paintings but as you pointed out they may not LAND on a painting. In other words they may not end their turn on a painting space.
The word LAND is an important word throughout the rules. You catch the Thief by "LANDING" on the Thief but not "moving over" the Thief.
Characters have to LAND on the "P" space to turn the power back on.
The Thief has to LAND on a Camera to disconnect it.

The reason why a Character can't land on a painting is because the Thief lands on a painting in secret. The next turn when he has to move at least one space per the rules (1, 2, or 3 spaces) the painting is then removed from the Museum. If Characters could move onto paintings, then all they would do is move from painting to painting the whole game not allowing the Thief any chance to steal some of the paintings. That would be very boring.
So, the paintings had to become "safe" for the Thief for one turn. The fun begins when the Thief player reaches over his Shield and snatches the painting from the Museum. Then the Characters know that the Thief is one to three spaces away and that's a fun clue to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, addressing your observation about the rule book photo only showing paintings next to a wall.
Well, if you look real close, you will see that the Locks look very silver and not silver gray as the locks are in the game.
This is because those locks in the photo are the same lock pieces that Milton Bradley made for their model of the game (then called Heist) and they were painted silver.
We brought our prototype first to MB, then after they passed, they gave us their model. We tweaked it some more and brought it to Parker Bros.
Parker Bros. must have shot that photo very early in the development process before they had their final lock pieces and just used what we brought them. At that point I can take a good guess that they were still pretty much using some of the older rules such as paintings having to be next to a wall. I don't know this for sure, but it's what I always believed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that giant piece of plastic. We don't have enough giant pieces of plastic any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Mr. Labelle! Great game!

Another question please: Can a thief move through or land on a painting without stealing it?

One thing that occurred to us as we were playing: What if a painting in the middle of a room is broadside to a character--could it block the view of a character? (as opposed to being edge-side towards a player--which wouldn't seem to block the view). Currently, we play as if the paintings are transparent to characters from any direction, but we were wondering if it would unbalance the game to play the other way since it would give the thief another way to hide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Paintings are as you put it: "transparent" no matter their orientation or facing. (I get asked this more than any other question.)
"If" the rule was that paintings only can be placed next to walls (which it isn't) then I don't think players would ask this as much. But when you have paintings in the middle of a room they "look" like they could or should block line of site. They don't.

The thief can move through a painting like the Characters. "Landing" on a painting is something different.

It's not super clear in the rules but a Thief cannot land on a painting space and NOT take the painting. Landing on the painting starts the snatching process. This question has come up before and some have argued that it does not specifically say that you have to steal the painting when you land on it. The rule book's author is assuming you want to steal the painting because you landed on it. It's the whole point of the game.
The TECHNICAL reason that you MUST steal the painting is because if you didn't have to...then a Thief could hop to painting to painting AND NEVER BE CAUGHT due to Characters not being able to land on a painting space. Infinite loops are something to avoid in game design. When you draw your line on the pad to that "X" marked space, you circle the X. Next turn you must move at least 1 space and that's when the Characters are "informed" that the painting is missing by you physically grabbing it. If you're like the majority of other players, you then dangle it in front of your opponents for a few seconds. (That never gets old.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you so much for the rules clarifications!

Are characters transparent to other characters as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the U.S. and Canadian editions...Yes.
For the European edition...No.

The European edition has some minor rule differences. Don't ask me why. It just did. Like Cameras being able to be turned to face the diagonal during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the English edition, i.e. one that says Cluedo: The Great Museum Caper as opposed to Clue: ... considered European in that context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
The European version is just called: "The Great Museum Caper". No "Clue" (or Cluedo).
It came out later and it did pretty well especially in Italy as I remember.
The board was redone with less plastic to save money. We had little to no input with the redesign. In fact, the promised "carton of sample games" was never shipped to us lowly inventors and I had to get a copy on eBay years later.
You have to purchase a License like "Clue" with a percentage of royalties and our agents made the deal in Europe without it. I personally like the Clue version better. Parker Bros. did a great job with it as a Clue game.
Funny thing. Milton Bradley when they passed on the game said to us that it "really would be a great game for a license" (Wink, wink!) It's as if they were saying "go to Parker and try for Clue". Well, we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the background history that you have been telling us really quite fascinating. Thanks for sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.