$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Colonists» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Play Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first “4 era” game of The Colonists, and what an amazing beast of a game. We initially played an intro game of one era and today we played, for over 5 hours with set-up and breakdown. It was a ton of fun and Is a really straight forward game, that builds with complexity as the options grow and the board develops. Some intial thoughts:

1: Reminiscent of a lot of our favorite Euros, I:E Uwe big box games. Lots of resource conversion and worker placement. A very heavy game, say 4.0

2: Zero Luck, very little screwage. Pure strategy (except very little with the cards)

3: Be sure to build up starting resource production buildings so your not chasing wood and brick around the board later in the game.

4: Build towards next Era before it starts.

5: Improvements did not play a big part in the game for us, except early.

6: Get at least two embassies, Quick.

7: Food is very important once citizens come into play.

8: Storage space is ridiculously important.

9: Being able to move two spaces is important I:E Envoy

10: Selling resources for coinage was a quarter of our score.

11: Only 1 merchant in our game, sure that will change in later plays.

12: So very long, I bet we could get it down to 3 1/2 hours, two player. Would probably never play it more than 2 player nor would i want anything but the full 4 era experience.

13: Get yourself a couple plano boxes!

14: converting farms to estates and flats to apartments is an important space saver.


Looking forward to a second game, I think tile placement will make more sense, as well as getting more wood and brick production buildings will help a ton. Over all a super cool fun game, great design. Well worth the time investment, A unique, though solitaire, puzzle game. This game will reward many many plays. A great investment.

An amazing achievement for first time designer Tim Puls. Great artwork from our favorite artist Klemens Franz. Once again great production from Lookout Games.

We both rate the game a 9!

Our scores were 173/251
36 
 Thumb up
4.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:

2: Zero Luck, very little screwage. Pure strategy (except very little with the cards)


It's not "0" luck. It's more "1 or 2" luck.

Quote:
Be sure to build up starting resource production buildings so your not chasing wood and brick around the board later in the game.


You're absolutely right. I made this mistake twice already.

Quote:
Improvements did not play a big part in the game for us, except early.


That's what we thought as well.

Quote:
6: Get at least two embassies, Quick.

7: Food is very important once citizens come into play.

8: Storage space is ridiculously important.

9: Being able to move two spaces is important I:E Envoy

10: Selling resources for coinage was a quarter of our score.


+10

Quote:
12: So very long, I bet we could get it down to 3 1/2 hours, two player. Would probably never play it more than 2 player nor would i want anything but the full 4 era experience.


3-player is fine as well. Not sure I'd play a 4-player game though.

Quote:
13: Get yourself a couple plano boxes!

14: converting farms to estates and flats to apartments is an important space saver.


+11

Quote:
An amazing achievement for first time designer Tim Puls. Great artwork from our favorite artist Klemens Franz...

We both rate the game a 9!


I tend to agree.

Very nice thread.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:

9: Being able to move two spaces is important I:E Envoy



Thanks for this hint! I'll certainly aim for that in my next era II + era III game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.