$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: No money or time to play boardgames! How you deal with this?? Share your strategy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! I'm a Med student in my last year from Paraguay, from which you can deduce that I don't have much money to buy games (base cost + 17$ per kilo/2.2 pounds) or much time to enjoy this beauuuutiful hobbie.

So,I'm curious,what do you think or say to yourselves when you can't buy or play as many boardgames you would like?

I apologize for my English!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a father of two small children I share your frustration. Most of my gaming comes from iOS or android apps - they are much cheaper if you have a compatible device, and usually have an AI to play against for when finding/getting to a group is time-restrictive.

In terms of physical copies go for cheap-but-deep games like The Castles of Burgundy or Race for the Galaxy or Mottainai

or cheap-and-not-really-deep games like The Resistance, Hanabi or Patchwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think about the games you do have, and can play - rather than the ones you cant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of gaming websites that are free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any local game stores or meetups where you can play with others? Most people are usually willing to play and share their games with anyone who shows an interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiago92 wrote:
Hi! I'm a Med student in my last year from Paraguay, from which you can deduce that I don't have much money to buy games (base cost + 17$ per kilo/2.2 pounds) or much time to enjoy this beauuuutiful hobbie.

So,I'm curious,what do you think or say to yourselves when you can't buy or play as many boardgames you would like?

Given that med training and subsequent internship demand a lot of time and energy, you'll probably have to wait until you complete them to enjoy the hobby again.

Good luck to you and your endeavor, Jose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Board game cafes and meetups are low cost alternatives for gaming. When you start to buy and collect games, it becomes quite expensive for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meet me in St Louie for FIRST Worlds!
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Vassal.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Tiago92 wrote:

Given that med training and subsequent internship demand a lot of time and energy, you'll probably have to wait until you complete them to enjoy the hobby again.

Second that! Don't feel bad. Your education is important. You want to be a good doctor, so it should come first. No conflict. When you have time or the need to unwind, meet friends for an evening and play without feeling guilty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a few free minutes at a time, you can play turn-based games online. There are many free websites that offer this. I have been enjoying Antike Duellum, Roll Through the Ages, and Attika on the free website Yucata.de.

Edited to correct game name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, solitaire PnP are the best bang for the buck. Start here...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/58827/pnp-news-july-0...

And then spend a little time searching the Solo Guild and PnP guild here on BGG. I think you'll find a bunch of great games that you can download and print for free that play very quickly yet offer fun and challenging decision making.

PM me for some specific games, I'll be glad to recommend some of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yucata.de, offer free online games. I have played on it for years and they have some very recent releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm traveling for work and won't be playing games for a while I take along my tablet and play digital board games on it. I usually play Elder Sign, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Magic Duels and Lords of Waterdeep and they all feel pretty similar to the physical versions and are a nice hold over. Plus you can usually save mid-game and come back to it when you have time later which is nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sometimes go months without playing a game. The good thing is, the games are always there and ready to go when you are.

I turned on my PS3 for the first time in months to play a game the other week and it spent 1 hour updating the console software, then 45 minutes updating the game. Then when I played (Red Dead Redemption) it starting glitching - turns out the last update caused problems and they have not fixed it yet.

Opened Carcassonne for the first time in months to play and it was all just there ready to play. No fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No money for games is easily solved. Play with friends' copies or at stores, clubs, conventions, etc. Print and play. Many web-published games are easily played using pieces you probably already own (dice, cards, chess/checker board, etc). Develop a taste for abstract strategy games if you are not already interested in them. Play online if you're open to that.

Time is a tougher problem. For physical boardgaming, I guess try solitaire games, or games which are short to play and quick to explain so you're more easily able to get others to play them? If you're open to online play, then consider turn-based/correspondence style play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy researching games and watching review videos and run throughs almost as much as playing a game. However, this requires time. I often watch while I am doing the dishes in the evening.

Other ways I have enjoyed are online at WWW.boardgamearena.com and apps. The great thing about apps is they do all the setup for you, they are cheap, and the good ones teach you the rules. Highly recommend Galaxy trucker, hey that's my fish,and Suburbia apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Similar boat: don't have money for games, and time is limited. I'm avoiding screen time, so digital is out (too bad, but necessary for me).

Other than playing games I already have or others at local game nights I've decided to discover good games that only use standard cards and dice. There are some pretty interesting ones out there, it's just a matter of picking a few, learning the rules well, and then getting people to try. Now I keep a deck of cards and 10 dice in my shoulder bag for anytime use. Very handy. These types of game components are also more approachable/familiar for non-gamers.

This has also helped me with my "want to buy new stuff" issues. When flare-ups occur I think "Christmas is coming up" or "Is that new game really going to be better than what you already have?" and "Exactly when and with who are you really going to play that new game?"

Good luck!

p.s. – For a solo standard card game, I highly recommend Bowling Solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the money but not the time or players, so I was just collecting games. That is worse, having a bunch of games you stare at and can't play. I am curbing that and figuring out what the people I know can handle. So I try to find a game or two that a person likes and just enjoy that time. I can't bring out everything I want to play but if I can get them comfortable with a game or two then I know I have a person to play that game with. Some people like longer or shorter games, some people are tripped up by iconography or too many power and themes can be good or bad. I found I would rather play a couple games of Lost Cities than try to explain Argent to a non-gamer. You have to take it where you can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm always looking for Agricola opponents on http://www.boiteajeux.net/!

Many other games there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what do you think or say to yourselves when you can't buy or play as many boardgames you would like?
I'll let you know when I run into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:
Any local game stores or meetups where you can play with others? Most people are usually willing to play and share their games with anyone who shows an interest.

Yes, I have those here Thats a good option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Tiago92 wrote:

Second that! Don't feel bad. Your education is important. You want to be a good doctor, so it should come first. No conflict. When you have time or the need to unwind, meet friends for an evening and play without feeling guilty.

Thanks for the support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go...

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
This isn't a problem for me, but I would probably solve it by posting to the Recommendations forum and ask for games which can be hand crafted on the cheap. ZERTZ, for example, can be played with a few marbles and some washers.

Storytelling games, like It Wasn't Me, are free to download and the only cost is for some sheets of paper to tear into little bits.

Overall, you'll lose out on the games which have lots of different mechanisms and fancy parts, but you should still be able to have fun.

You could also look into getting 504. One box, 504 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.