Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Systems missing from the game (not currently in the game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So going through some of the system stack and noticed some famous Star Trek systems that are not in the game. Such as Vulcan, Betazed, Lets not forget the all so important Khitomer system. So where are these systems and are they going to be added into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
So going through some of the system stack and noticed some famous Star Trek systems that are not in the game. Such as Vulcan, Betazed, Lets not forget the all so important Khitomer system. So where are these systems and are they going to be added into the game?

In the Beginning, GF9 created expansions. And the people saw they were good (or had a compulsive need to buy things attached to this game), and they threw money at GF9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:

Vulcan, Andoria, and other homeworlds will undoubtedly show up as expansion factions. This leads me to believe that the Bajorans are not a planned expansion faction at this time (Bajor will be a system in the Cardassian expansion).

My mind boggles at the number of systems that can be added to the game.

Long live Zaran and the Zaranites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Bajorans are probably not a planned faction. Also it makes sense to include Bajor in the Cardassian Expansion since it was under Cardassian Occupation for a long time. Besides as I said before Bajor has been more like a 3rd world nation caught in the middle of a power struggle between two superpowers.

However considering that Vulcan is a federation world like Betazed and Khitomer was a contested world between Romulans and Klingons it makes me wonder what possible expansions would those systems come in since Romulans Federation and Klingons are in the base game. The current expansion model seems to be adding in a new playable Race and systems that somehow relate to that race (i.e. Cardassians and Bajor). I really don't know what race would include Vulcan other than the Federation and Khitomer is in a similar position. Unless they added in the Terran Empire and the Alliance from the Mirror Universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
I really don't know what race would include Vulcan other than the Federation and Khitomer is in a similar position. Unless they added in the Terran Empire and the Alliance from the Mirror Universe?

They could release a Neutral Zone Expansion that includes contested systems like Khitomer. Maybe they tack on rules and cards for a 4th Fleet for all factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. true that we only got two expansion to go off of but a neutral zone expansion doesn't seem to fit in the what appears to be the business model. Also it looks like the fleets tech and other mechanics are rather hard wired into the game's architecture for an addition of say a 4th fleet. It is not like twilight imperium where the miniatures could go with any faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's GF9, they will milk this to death like they did with Firefly. Firefly went from a $60 base game to a $300 game with all the add-ons. In my country Star Trek ascendancy is $160 plus the 2 upcoming factions will make it a $260 game, with I guess another 5 factions coming at some stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
The majority of the systems in the base game are from TOS or early TNG (Season 1 and 2), I can't tell if they're intentionally leaving room for expansions or if they sat down to watch the series and just couldn't take it anymore after the weakest seasons of Trek out there. But the rest of TNG, VOY (DS9 looks pretty well covered in expansions), ENT, they're all up for grabs.

I wonder if they have the rights to Discovery? That'd be great if they timed a Discovery expansion to come out with the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
I really don't know what race would include Vulcan other than the Federation and Khitomer is in a similar position. Unless they added in the Terran Empire and the Alliance from the Mirror Universe?

Well, if you had separate Vulcan and Andorian expansions you could play a "Birth of the Federation" flavored game, where Vulcan, Andoria, and Earth are all trying to see who will come to dominate the new UFP. Add in the Romulans, and you would have almost all the main actors in the Birth of the Federation era 4 player game. Given the animosity between the Vulcans and Andorians I could see the Earth-Romulan war going rather differently, with Earth and the Andorians allied and Vulcan coming in on the side of the Romulans.

Just some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
I wonder if they have the rights to Discovery? That'd be great if they timed a Discovery expansion to come out with the series.

They may manage to get one or two out, and the rest of us would be waiting for 6 months;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rigel - one if not the most popular star trek systems. It's also close or part at some point part of the orion syndicate.
Shown in "the cage", "shore leave", "mudd'swomen women", showed in okudagrams in tng, reappeared in enterprise and was also mentioned as a heavily populated federation world in "the doomsday machine"

Gamma Hydra - mentioned in TOS and TWOK

Khitomer - multiple mentions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone cross reference with the Star Trek Catan Federation Space expansion board? That's said to be a very accurate representation of the Alpha Quadrant. I have it at home and could check against ST:A when I get back. There's also a stellar cartography book that maps out the quadrants...can't remember if I have that one yet or not...

...neeeerrrd....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:
Anyone cross reference with the Star Trek Catan Federation Space expansion board? That's said to be a very accurate representation of the Alpha Quadrant. I have it at home and could check against ST:A when I get back. There's also a stellar cartography book that maps out the quadrants...can't remember if I have that one yet or not...

...neeeerrrd....

The problem with "accurate" or "official" maps of the Star Trek galaxy is that there are several of them, and they're all different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
I wonder if they have the rights to Discovery?

I could absolutely be wrong about this, but my understanding is that, when a company licenses the rights to use Star Trek for a game, they get the rights to use all of the Star Trek material... from the company that they license it from. Since GF9 licensed CBS's Star Trek, as opposed to Paramount's Star Trek, they should automatically gain access to Discovery.

Whether or not Discovery will be successful enough to base an expansion on despite CBS's best efforts to kill it in the cradle is another matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
HvKjr wrote:

...neeeerrrd....

The problem with "accurate" or "official" maps of the Star Trek galaxy is that there are several of them, and they're all different.

Ok, yeah, but still offers reference material for ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've not found Caprica, Endor, or Miranda... but I've a feeling we won't be seeing those anytime soon :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark LaCroix
msg tools
It seemed to me that they chose planets like Terra Nova (ST:Enterprise), Rura Penthe (ST:VI), Son'a Prime (ST:Insurrection), and Deneb V (ST:TOS) because they would be fun for fans to recognize, but plausible for any of the major factions to control. B-level notoriety, basically.

Of course, it's just a game and it shouldn't really bother anyone if Vulcan or Andor are right next to Kronos, but it seemed like a nice touch from the designers to select planets only seen in one episode or movie.

In fact, I'm a little surprised they included Bajor in the Cardassian expansion, but I suppose it was just too tempting. It would be so perfect to have a game where you build a Cardassian starbase there and then have it taken over by the Federation.

I actually like the idea of them introducing slightly more notable planets in the expansion sets (yes, it's also an incentive to buy, but if that is the only reason, something is wrong with you).

The real question is why it's not spelled Qo'nos :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L.
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's fun to think about what races will be coming.
I can't imagine any of the founding members of the Federation http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_members would be a playable faction.
Tholian are very likely. Gorn would be very cool. Orions, Dominion, even the Hirogen would be fun. The races and when they showed are here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_races#L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.