$35.00
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps others have noticed this in their areas but I found it fascinating that in the last week or so, the political ads for Pat Toomey, the junior US senator from PA who is currently running for reelection against Democrat Katie McGinty, are emphasizing how Toomey will be effective in blocking Hillary's policies, while McGinty will hand Clinton a blank check. So, in effect, the Republican machine here in PA appears to be resigned to the fact of a Hillary win and now is prepping for the start of the resistance movement. Anyone else notice this in their various state campaigns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
We're "Democrat"-bent here, so, NOT even "Flaming" DUCK ""SURPRISE"" in November shall 'manifester'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that ad. But, none of it matters. I've been waiting six years to vote against Toomey again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that the political signage around here is depressed over past elections and runs 60/40 Clinton. I did drive in the "back country" the other day an it was 100% Trump. Either no one has the balls or they're afraid of their neighbors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my drive cross state a few days ago I kept an eye out because I had heard of Trumpets everywhere. I noticed Trumo signs, but I also noticed the majority were staked out in public sreas, offramps, corners, for sale lots, and the like. There were a few solid yards of Trump crap(oh I wish I could have snapped a picture of one yard, epic homemade insanity) but overall in actual yard-support the Trump/Clinton numbers were close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a guy up in Grand Rapids.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/04/jud...

I was trying to find some of the other signs he's had that are more inflammatory than these. He won the case (Yay!) with the help of the ACLU...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Ha, I was just saying that about a Toomey ad right before I opened this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How has Toomey's support for Trump been? If Toomey has been meticulously keeping his distance for Trump, it is probably easier for him to assume a Clinton win. If someone were backing Trump and trying to ride his toupee-tails, then an ad like this would be VERY hard to rectify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
How has Toomey's support for Trump been? If Toomey has been meticulously keeping his distance for Trump, it is probably easier for him to assume a Clinton win. If someone were backing Trump and trying to ride his toupee-tails, then an ad like this would be VERY hard to rectify.

He'saying coy trying to avoid pissing off more people that he already has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I have noticed that the political signage around here is depressed over past elections and runs 60/40 Clinton. I did drive in the "back country" the other day an it was 100% Trump. Either no one has the balls or they're afraid of their neighbors?

There may be some instances of peer pleasing going on, however democrats will never win over rural areas until they can recognize that rural areas have their own issues they care about and the typical democrat does not address those concerns in an adequate way. The real reason Trump is more popular in rural areas is he speaks to their concerns. We are an ever increasing urban country, so you can get away with ignoring the country folk, but please kindly remember they have valid concerns that are not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been meaning to write a little about this.

On my immediate street: one house, down at the end of our block, with a Hillary sign in the window. They're relatively recent immigrants from either Pakistan or India.

No other political signs on our block, even from yours truly. Then again, my wife wore a Hillz T-shirt under a sweatshirt when she went to go vote today, so there's that.

On two streets over: down at the end of our block, there's a contractor who's got a couple of Trump/Pence MAKE MAINE GREAT AGAIN signs (so yeah, he's been to a rally or two).

There's our local cop, Marine Desert Storm vet, one block over.

Two blocks over, there's a guy who had a couple Trump signs up, plus a hand-lettered HILLARY 4 PRISON sign. Hilariously, he has a Hillary-lover in very close proximity, because there's a car with a huge hand-lettered Hillary logo in its rear window, usually parked in front of his house.

At least in the Battle of the Signs, Trump wins.

As for advertising, we get a lot of spillover from the scorched-earth wasteland up northward in NH. Blanketed with Ayotte/Hassan/PAC/Trump/Hillary advertising.

Local races, i.e. for state senate and the like, have also been infected with it -- "they're landing 10,000 Syrian immgrants at the local AFB" has now shown up in our local discourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

There may be some instances of peer pleasing going on, however democrats will never win over rural areas until they can recognize that rural areas have their own issues they care about and the typical democrat does not address those concerns in an adequate way. The real reason Trump is more popular in rural areas is he speaks to their concerns. We are an ever increasing urban country, so you can get away with ignoring the country folk, but please kindly remember they have valid concerns that are not yours.
In addition I think many in urban areas are genuinely frightened to put up Trump signs to avoid vandalism to their property or theft of their signs. Similar things would happen in rural areas to Hillary supporters.

People go crazy over rsp topics out in the big bad world and if I were a drumph or killary supporter I'd be wary of putting up a sign in my yard dependent upon where I lived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My town is heavily Hillary/Kaine (and Strickland for Senate, though a lot fewer). The surrounding suburban/exurban areas are mostly Trump signs with other Republicans running for congress and state offices. No Portman signs (Senate) come to think of it, though it's pretty clear Portman will be re-elected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.