Formula Dé» Forums » Sessions

Subject: TVB - 7P - Fuji Speedway - We finally get to use Big Blue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The group still wanted to play one game as a group, so we opted to conclude our evening with a single lap race of Formula De. I had downloaded the Fuji Speedway track from the files section here and then had it printed and laminated. Fuji's history is that it was going to be a racing oval, so had a long straight built with banked corners, but then the back portion of the track was made more into a road course with twists and turns. So here is a track with a 60 space straight begging for that 6th gear dice that ends with a 2 stop 4th gear curve. And just to add to the fun, Sabrina joined us, making for 7 cars on the track.

Lawrence had a bad start while Kris had a good start moving ahead 4 from the middle of the pack. Everyone else moved their usual 1 or 2 spaces towards First Corner. (The start line is towards the end of the straight, so the first curve is quite soon.) Dave from the back of the pack managed to get up into 4th to screan past Lawrence and Ben into the curve to prevent being blocked out.

The pack started to thin out a bit as we approached 100R and lined up for the hairpin curve. Dave had managed to work from the back to the front. Rich, Dave, Kris, Sabrina were jockeying for corners and position. Ben, Lawrence, and Lisa were struggling to get a feel for their cars. Lawrence overshoot 100R by 5 spaces at a great cost of brakes and tires. Rich held the lead going into Dunlop corner, but fell short of entering the curve, so had to stay in 4th gear. Dave and Kris could upshift to 5th to catch up. The jostling and positioning continued into 13th Corner. Rich entered first; while Kris stayed on the inside lane. Dave roared into the middle resulting in some severe bumping damaging both Kris and Dave's car. Moving into Netco Corner, Rich rolled low in 4th gear and cursed his luck, but then he realized that this would allow him a shot at making the final stop in 5th gear allowing him to roar out of the curve in 6th! Kris and Dave had rolled a bit better and were at the exit of Netco. Rich rolled and end between Kris and Dave, but slightly ahead. He did bump Dave's car sending it into the barriers resulting in more body damage, eliminating it from the race. Rich then upshifted to 5th to roar through Panasonic Corner (spending brakes and tires to hold the curve) and lined up for the 6th run down the straightaway. Kris was following but a gear behind.

While all this action occurred at the front, Lisa had slowly and steadily moved through the pack in each of the curves and was racing with Sabrina for fourth and fifth (which became third and fourth with's Dave's accident). Ben and Lawrence were into Dunlop when Lawrence cut in from of Ben forcing Ben to downshift hard, but still burning through his brakes. At the front, Rich roared down the straight in 6th gear for 2 rolls and then downshifted into 4th to hit the first spot of the curve. (Yes, he had crossed the finish line, but we kept racing into the curve and beyond while everyone else finished.) Kris and then Lisa roared into 6th and were next to finish. But as both entered into First Curve, Kris' car bumped into Lisa's resulting in body damage and another elimination. Sabrina hit the straight, shifted into 6th and rolled the 30 (yes, she damaged her engine doing so), but was 4th across the finish line. A few move later Lawrence followed as did Ben. But Ben had too much speed and shot almost through First Corner. With insufficient brakes (ie none) and limited tires, his car careened into the walls and was also destroyed.

Another fun race of Formula De. I really liked the long straight on Fuji, but would like to have time to run a 2 lap race to see if we can have the cars last a bit longer. I sense (from the carnage) we are a bit aggressive in our driving. With the need to last more than a single lap, perhaps we are a bit more cautious. But I certainly see the strategy of holding to damage points until the last few curves, then opening it up to jump for the finish.

Stepping back, I also like how the cars spread out on the straights but then bunch up again in the curves. A very simple rule set does a reasonable job of mimicking some of the aspects of racing. And one can add various layers of complexity as desired. After resisting this game as too luck driven, I am finding that I am warming to it and enjoy it when we do play. The only downside as far as I am concerned - it takes a long time to play even a single lap much less two or three.

Finally, kudos to McHaka for making this track. Nice to see a second Japanese track (after Suzuka) added to the list of available tracks. The combination of long straight and tight curves make for some nice racing, especially on multi-lap races. It was well worth the minimal cost to get it printed on a large format printer at the local copy center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hurlburt
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TVB - 7P - Fuji Speedway - We finally get to use Big Blu
Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost? (I haven't been able to find time to stop by Kinko's and find out.) Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I went to Staples. Large format color printing is about $4/foot. Lamination is $2/foot. The full-size map is just over 4 feet long, so get charged for 5 feet.

The day I had mine done, they did have a $10 off coupon - so I was out the door for about $20 - but "normally" would be $30 without discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Häkkinen
Finland
OULU
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid hefty 40 EUR ($53) for my own copy of it. Well, I was just lazy and wanted super quality so I ordered it from a really good online photo printing service. I haven't had a possibility to test the colorful version yet. Hopefully it'll happen soon.

By the way, I have version 1.1 of the track. It has only a minor change that'll affect playability and I'm not sure whether it's for better or worse. Yup, it's the last corner and I made it shorter - or tighter - whatever.

Another reason for doing the new version was that my files got slightly damaged when my computer blew up - and of course my backups were outdated. I had to redo one of the characters too but you wouldn't spot the difference unless there was a prize for the first one to notice it.

The track really differs from the original only a little bit so keep on printing and playing the version 1.0. It might be that I'll never upload the new version - and when or if it'll happen I'll publish a "service pack" for the version 1.0 too.

I'll upload the updated version to Geek some day when I'll have more time. Right now I'm way too busy at work and sports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls