8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: My Phoenix experience (feel free to write your own) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
One of my more memorable sessions:

Embers crackled through the still night, Israhfil, Michael, Terra and Elizabeth, are steeling their nerves preparing for the horrors to come; a level 2 Phoenix.
The next day, they're ambushed!
Breaking their sanity and bending the very essence of their being, the phoenix casually dispatches the hunting party, suffering almost no damage. All, but one. Elizabeth stands over the mangled corpses of her kin. The sadistic Phoenix smiles and allows her a moment to savor the sight of the twitching, mangled corpses of her brothers and mother. Where others would submit to terror, her heart turns to iron. She is the 'Last Woman Standing'. Armed with her Zanbato and fanatical bravery, she charges through the Phoenix's gale. Startled that this vestigial creature could penetrate it's furious wind, the Phoenix panics and lashes out.

Not only does she penetrate the onslaught of a hurricane, but she moves against it with blinding speed, evades the Phoenix's attack and delivers a mammoth blow of unbridled hatred with her Grand Weapon. Time and time again, she refuses to stumble and lands deadly wounds all over the bloodied and shrieking Phoenix. On the verge of death, she delivers the coup de grace... her weapon breaks!

Sensing the opportunity, the Phoenix attacks, but she won't submit. She gnaws and tears with her teeth and nails. The phoenix has greatly underestimated this foe. Alas, without her Zanbato, she misses the attack which would have certainly killed her nemesis. The Phoenix escapes the carnage and as she charges for her final assault, the world starts to slow.

She has a vision of her return to her settlement. She sees her future child. She sees herself training her child in the ways of the sword. She sees her child grow strong. Elizabeth gazes at her hands in horror, they're ageing! Her body withers, the last thing she sees is the smirk of her nemesis, in death, she feels only anger!

The settlement mourns at the loss of 4 of her most powerful survivors. On the day of mourning, an old hag trudges into the settlement. Naked and completely bereft of wit, the hag doesn't even know her own name. She doesn't speak, save with her eyes, which scream 'Vengeance'... Soon after taking in Vengeance, the settlement mourns her death. An enigma, with an unknown purpose or past, her soul departs to the stars, leaving all mortal concerns behind... This includes, her newborn son... Wrath.

Fleet of foot and with an unheard of ability to wield a Zanbato, Wrath grows to become known as the 'Shining Lion of the Phoenix'. Years pass and tales are told of the ruthless winged beast, able to distort time and truth. For reasons unknown, Wrath's blood begins to boil and he insists on leading a hunting party to slay the beast.

Victorious! With Wrath as their leader, the Phoenix was completely annihilated. Strangely, the sight of Wrath drove the monster into an irrational fear, making it easier to dispatch. As the survivors gathered their bounty, they noticed one of the feathers, and Wrath are missing.
The survivors return to find the valuable Phoenix feather resting on the grave of the unknown mute, Vengeance.
As one of the survivors attempts to take the much needed feather to the Plummery, an elder stops him. Without word, the elder shakes his head and leads the survivor back to the festivities of the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Embree
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow...is this what playing the game is really like? I was in and then finally out of the original KS and never really looked back. I play a fair amount of Shadows of Brimstone, which is engaging and well themed, but this feels like a whole new level. Maybe I will jump in on the next KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and no.

Sometimes the fight could be more like "The party was well-used to hunting the deadly but predictable lion, and nothing bad really happened on the way their quarry, so they danced around murdering stuff with little personal threat, because why would you risk your life for a few more bones? The rather self-aware lion became infuriated at their impudence and eventually Fred got his arm torn off, but things were basically okay."

I think the game is by far the most exciting when you're fighting something just a bit harder than you can (and probably should) handle, and Hugh had a good retelling of such a hunt (a little was probably just making stuff up, most was colorful but mechanically identifiable), but there's a reasonable amount of (usually) being able to choose the difficulty range of what you hunt, meaning more often than not you're seeking out the epic fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yes, and no.

Sometimes the fight could be more like "The party was well-used to hunting the deadly but predictable lion, and nothing bad really happened on the way their quarry, so they danced around murdering stuff with little personal threat, because why would you risk your life for a few more bones? The rather self-aware lion became infuriated at their impudence and eventually Fred got his arm torn off, but things were basically okay."

I think the game is by far the most exciting when you're fighting something just a bit harder than you can (and probably should) handle, and Hugh had a good retelling of such a hunt (a little was probably just making stuff up, most was colorful but mechanically identifiable), but there's a reasonable amount of (usually) being able to choose the difficulty range of what you hunt, meaning more often than not you're seeking out the epic fights.

I couldn't resist, it is a bit embellished and dramatic, but as Nick said, everything happened as a result of the gameplay mechanics, I just added a
bit of story to it, and so will you.

Without revealing too much, here's what happened without the drama, perhaps you can compare:

- Most of the survivors were wounded from the hunt phase
- They started the showdown, weakened
- Phoenix kept knocking back survivors, not giving them a chance to strike
- Elizabeth has an ability (Fighting Art), which triggers when she's the
last survivor on the board, making her impossible to knock down. She
also gained increased movement (speed) from an Age upgrade, during the
showdown.
- Unable to be knocked down and always able to move in range, she dealt
about 90% of the Phoenix's health in damage.
- Her weapon (which is frail) broke as a result of a Super-Dense HL card,
the Phoenix would've died if the blow had hit.
- Elizabeth missed the next strike and the Phoenix moved out of range and
hit with arguably the Phoenix's most devastating attack, 'Spiral Age'.
- Elizabeth died... and on a chance defeat condition, materialised back at
the settlement, years older, and without memory or a name.
- Elizabeth was given a new name (by me), Vengeance.
- My settlement had the 'Graves' principle.
- Before dying from a SE, she give birth to Wrath, her son.
- Wrath inherited his mother's abilities.
- Wrath also gained the 'Secretive' and 'Hoarder' disorder. The latter
forces the survivor to steal one resource, after each successful showdown, and keep it for themselves. Along with the 'secretive' disorder,
I added a little fluff to complement why he'd taken one of the Phoenix's
resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, definitely not a criticism of your style (if it was taken as such). Didn't understand what happened with Vengeance and I hadn't been positive about Hoarder, but the rest was easy to follow.

Also, double-checking, you rolled to damage and failed on the super-dense location, right? Just checking your mechanics since that was a little confusing.

And Phil, it's completely worth getting. If you like co-op combat-oriented games with a ton of breadth and some interesting tactics, I've never experienced anything that comes close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Oh, definitely not a criticism of your style (if it was taken as such). Didn't understand what happened with Vengeance and I hadn't been positive about Hoarder, but the rest was easy to follow.

Also, double-checking, you rolled to damage and failed on the super-dense location, right? Just checking your mechanics since that was a little confusing.

And Phil, it's completely worth getting. If you like co-op combat-oriented games with a ton of breadth and some interesting tactics, I've never experienced anything that comes close.

Nah, I decided to put it into actual gameplay perspective for the noobs, so they can see how the thematics of the gameplay can be interpreted into a story. Yeah, Phoenix was sitting on one AI card and a single Zanbato wound would've killed it (Devastating 1). Unfortunately the next HL was a Super-Dense, as you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
Phil I agree with Nick, he makes great points - parts of the game are grindy and but if you push your team a bit it really is an unparalleled board game experience.

That story was fantastic by the way, loved the narrative and your tie backs to the events of the game, well done!

The mechanics of the game really do give you some really great stories to tell. It will also break your heart constantly. We're at the point where we don't get excited when something good happens to one of our characters as we know something bad is very soon to follow. -e.g. +1 population on Stranger in the dark followed by double 1s with PYT again!!!cry

I have Shadows of Brimstone as well was a KS backer on it. The game was amazing out of the gates for me and my wife, but we tired of it very quickly.

This game we bought retail and it is not a hobby it is an obsession! We have not seen probably 50% of the Core Game Content yet and still have all the expansions sealed in boxes.

SoBs has been gathering dust (along with the rest of my collection since we got KDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Buisman
msg tools
I think that Nick Wirtz point was that when you hit a Super Dense location with a frail weapon it breaks at the end of the attack.

So if the Phoenix only had one card and the Zanbato had wounded then the Phoenix would have died with the broken shards of a Zanbato lodged in its corpse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.