Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get past the glorious components, Dragoon is a exercise in frustration for anyone who has played board games past Monopoly.

For a game that is essentially an abstract strategy game with cardplay, randomness runs amok. Villages are generated by 3 die rolls in a 2-player game each turn, and they can literally end up all around your opponents cave, and there is no counterplay.

You take over villages and then randomly a die roll decides if you generate victory points from those villages.

If you land on a space with another dragon, you both roll one single sided die. The only advantage to the attacker is breaking ties. The winner gets +3 VP and the loser gets -3 VP and gets sent home. Hopefully all the vilages aren't on the other side of the map.

Then there is the robber, who generates gold if a new village square is not needed during the village generation phase. The robber is then randomly placed on the board. With no counterplay.

The winner is the first to 50 points. It's messy and broken and almost entirely dominated by luck.

But damn, those components are incredible. Maybe we could make a new game out of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Re: Make no Mistake... This is only a gamer for non-gamers
lanfearl wrote:
But damn, those components are incredible.

And sadly, those incredible comments only contribute to the chaos: they are hard to distinguish from each other and from the hebephrenic playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Aldaron wrote:
hebephrenic

While it's cool I learned a new word, now that I know the definition I can only say, "What??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people did you have playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
crblackhawk wrote:

Just two. I am willing to play it once more since it is ~30 minutes long, but upping the play count will just up the chaos. Though it may become more strategic in kingmaking and ganging up on a perceived leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanfearl wrote:
crblackhawk wrote:

Just two. I am willing to play it once more since it is ~30 minutes long, but upping the play count will just up the chaos. Though it may become more strategic in kingmaking and ganging up on a perceived leader.

I played it a couple times with only 2. I feel like it was better with more. Haven't done 4 yet. But I enjoyed it more with 3. I feel like it was a lot more strategic with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Given
msg tools
Hey there! I'm one of the creators of Dragoon and wanted to help you out. The best way to influence your will in Dragoon is through the cards, as they give you access to mobility, combat enhancers and a slew of other goodies. In addition to your draw for turn, you can spend an action to discard and draw, filtering your hand to suit your needs. And when there isn't an immediate tile nearby, spending 2 actions to draw an extra card is a great investment. When saved up and combod mid game, you can make some really solid plays that rack up gold.

Certainly there are a variety of games out there as well as a variety of players. While we would love for all gamers to enjoy the play experience of Dragoon, we understand that everyone has their preferences.

I certainly do hope you give it another go and find more success in exploiting the hand manipulation mechanics.

As always, thank you for sharing your play experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it with four players - it's a much better experience. And give it a few play-throughs to see the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.