So my mom suffered some brain damage several years ago...and is still affected by it.
She has a difficult time with numbers, comprehending what she reads sometimes, and she can get overwhelmed when there's too many things happening at the same time.
She's not dumb...she's just a little bit slower then she use to be.

We got into X-Wing miniatures a year ago, and it's the first game her and I have ever gotten into (we're both huge Star Wars nerds)...but it started to get too complex for her and she started to get too frustrated during games so we haven't played it in quite some time now.

But I want to continue gaming with her. It's been fun to have something to do with my mom...a reason to go visit her (besides raiding her fridge and cupboards for free food! lol).

-Games need to be pretty simple. At least for now...maybe eventually after she's got simple games down we can start enjoying more complex games...but for now simple is a MUST.

-Quick to learn with easy to remember rules.

-Not overly long. 45 minutes I'd say would be the max...though we've had games of X-Wing that have lasted over 3 hours and she did okay through them. But she does start to get fatigued at about the hour mark.

-Gateway games. I'm looking for a wide variety of genres...hoping she'll find some that she really enjoys. We can then get more games from that genre.

-Bonus points if the game comes in a small package. Her and I spend quite a bit of time up in some local mountains sitting by fires during the summer...and I love having compact games to take along with us.

-Extra bonus points if it's Star Wars themed.

I just placed an order for some games, and I'm pretty happy with the list...though I think 1 of the games will be a bit too much for her at this time.

I'd love to get more ideas from you guys though on more games I can look into in the future.
We're planning on doing board games up to 3 times a week...so I'd love to start getting a bigger collection of games to keep things fresh and fun for us.

Anyhow, here's what I've just ordered so far:

King's Gold
Spot it! Gone Camping (just threw it in the order to take up to the mountains with us. Looks like a cute game)
Roll For It!
Cardline: Animals
King Of Tokyo
Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellions (my mom LOVES both black jack and Star Wars...this looks perfect for her!)
Forbidden Island
Star Realms (think this one might be too much for her...but it is an easier deck builder, was cheap, is small/portable...and I bought an expansion that will allow me to play it solo if my mom doesn't end up liking it)

What do you guys think? Is this a decent starting list? I only wanted to spend $100 to start out.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just a bit excited lol.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already ordered the one I was going to recommend Cardline Animals.

Of the Timeline series I would recommend Inventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle or Qwirkle cubes. No reading or math really required. Both come in boxes but can be reduced to tiles in bags for portability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
My grandfather suffered major brain damage in an accident, and my father has early Parkinson's, so I'm very familiar with brain damage and I have to say right off the bat that I'm very sorry for what happened. I know first hand how difficult it can be to watch someone suffering through something like this. If your mother's situation is one that will improve over time then you are very lucky, unfortunately it seems like it usually goes the other way.

With all of that said I have noticed it's a lot easier to just play games they already know. So if your mother used to play cards or older style games it might be best to just stick with those. It's less about playing the games you like and more about spending time with loved ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you got some pretty good games. The only thing I think might be missing is some sort of dexterity game. Animal Upon Animal comes to mind as a portable game of that genre. Maybe Ice Cool could work as well, if you pack the rest of the games into it's box.

Happy gaming with mom meeple

Edit: I remebered another portable dexterity game: Rhino Hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Law
msg tools
mbmbmb
By theme:
Resource management: Settlers of Catan -
Card Drafting: Sushi Go!
Tile laying: Carcassonne -placing tiles are simple but point scoring is more difficult
Dice Rolling: King of Tokyo -mainly dice rolling, a few decisions
Eurogame: Dixit -least competitive of the list and demands only story telling abilties
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Face Off Dice Game – Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader So this game isn't going to change your life or anything, but as Star Wars fans we've found it to be a bit of simple fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Good choices!

+1 Qwirkle
Qwixx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Dixit. Everybody can play this, from young to old. Fun thing (and in your case maybe interesting) is that you need to share your thoughts. But it can maybe in your case be very frustrating for your mom. Hard to say for me...

Other option: splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmb
It looks like you have a nice list of games there already. One game that came to mind is Risk: Star Wars Edition. Don't worry, it's nothing like Risk! It's closer to Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit than Risk. It's a simpler strategy game, and lasts around 30-45 minutes. There are lovely player aids in the files section on the game page that assist with remembering what the symbols/actions do (there are 4-6 symbols for each side, representing actions, to remember), and they are a great help on the first game or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schulte

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to hear about your mom, it's never easy to have a change like that to a family member, and good on you for working through it with her.

as to your question,
ticket to ride is just matching colors and plenty of expansions so there is variety

castle panic is coop and fairly easy, and they have a star trek panic which is at least space themed, but might be to much at once/stressful.

catan, its got some complexity but not a lot of math but you might have to do rivals if its just the two of you, or the dice game version. its much easier just marking off things as you roll them.

patchwork playing tetris with quilt squares and buttons games are quick

hopefully those help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Genechten
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightycreeper wrote:
By theme:
Resource management: Settlers of Catan -
Card Drafting: Sushi Go!
Tile laying: Carcassonne -placing tiles are simple but point scoring is more difficult
Dice Rolling: King of Tokyo -mainly dice rolling, a few decisions
Eurogame: Dixit -least competitive of the list and demands only story telling abilties

go for the bonus points Carcassonne: Star Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Carcassonne: Star Wars would work great. The only math is the final scoring and you can do that by moving a pawn along the edge of the map.

Carcassonne is a great game to play while just enjoying someone else's company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also currently looking for simple and easy to learn for my mom. She's been going through a tough time and worried sick that her mind gets easily tired and confused these days. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. It's nice to hear that you want to continue playing board games with her. Board games saved my mom, they helped her keep going by passing the time and forgetting for a while.

+2 Qwirkle (My mom loves it so much that she sometimes plays it on her own)
Jaipur (My mom's second favorite, we played it so much I'm getting fed up with the game laugh)

Patchwork (She always wins in this one, a very relaxing game)

Ingenious (We find this one to be similar to Qwirkle but we got it before Qwirkle. Now Qwirkle has replaced Ingenious for me and my mum although we still play it sometimes)

Games that are at the top of the list to buy:

Lost Cities

Hey That's My Fish

Blokus

Tsuro

Karuba

Coloretto

For Sale (3+ players)

I should also mention that my mom found Ticket to Ride, the Europe version, to be confusing, particularly when searching where to build trains on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
I think you got some pretty good games. The only thing I think might be missing is some sort of dexterity game. Animal Upon Animal comes to mind as a portable game of that genre. Maybe Ice Cool could work as well, if you pack the rest of the games into it's box.

Happy gaming with mom meeple

Edit: I remebered another portable dexterity game: Rhino Hero

I second the idea of dexterity games. My mother has short term memory loss, which makes anything too complex tough, and we have had a lot of success with The Builders: Antiquity. Bonus: it comes in a small tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haha you guys are great! Thank you SO much for all the awesome suggestions!!

Thanks for suggesting a dexterity game...I hadn't even thought of this catagory...but animal upon animal sounds like a whole lot of fun not just for my mom...but for a couple autistic kids we help out on the weekends as well.

Few other games on my list thanks to you guys:

Qwirkle
Patchwork (My mom's been making blackets her entire life! What a cool game for her!)
and Hey! That's my fish! (lol too cute)

I just picked Sushi Go up at a local store and Star Wars Carcassonne is absolutely on my list...I'm just waiting for my online boardgame store of choice to get more in stock.

I'm a bit iffy on Ticket to Ride...It seems like there's quite a bit to keep track of in that game, and neither of us have any interest in the theme of it (trains).
It's one of those games where I really wish I knew someone who owned it so I could play it before purchasing.

Anyhow...seriously all...thank you! You all rock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Arlotta
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to say I've used Spot it! & Ghost Blitz with my dad (similar brain issues). Great results, go for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Sushi Go, Jaipur, Hey! That's My Fish!, and Patchwork.

Have you considered Forbidden Island. Not expensive and can be played as a co-op with her or by herself as a solitaire.

Also, if you get Hey! That's My Fish and she enjoys it and wants something similar with slightly more complexity, maybe Battle Sheep?

And good luck with your quest to find the right games for her. Kudos to you for trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I seem to remember there is a Star Wars version of timeline out there, though it may be a bit hard to find. Also, there's a Star Wars version of Carcassonne. Have you looked into that? Carcassonne is a pretty simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's some very simple, 1.25 weight and under, games that fit your criteria.

Love Letter
Sushi Go!
Las Vegas
6 nimmt!
Can't Stop
Qwixx
Deep Sea Adventure
Welcome to the Dungeon
Timeline: Inventions
Pickomino

I've only played a few, but they're all reputed to be excellent gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to all the games on your list, but I hope you come back and tell us how they go over!

My mom is getting a kick out of BluePrints. There are a myriad of options in that game, but what you can actually do is limited to the dice in front of you. Scoring is laid out handily in front of you as well. As long as she can physically deal with stacking the dice, it's worth a look.

Mom prefers Forbidden Desert to Forbidden Island because of our win ratio-- my mother likes games she can win-- but I can still get her to play Island often enough. There are more moving parts to Desert though, so Island may play more simply? We play both here.

Jaipur is competitive trading in spices, leather, silk and precious goods. There are camels. Mom likes camels!

Lost Cities is good, but scoring is mathy and depending on the nature of her injury, your mom may find that frustrating. Still it's repetitively mathy, so she may reacquire the hang of it if she'd lost it before.

Odin's Ravens is pretty card racing game.

Onirim is a cooperative card game where you're trying to find your way out of a dream together. The box comes with like 7 expansions-- all nice and small adding some variety without being overwhelming.

Mom adores Star Realms. Once you learn the cards, and they aren't too terrible to learn, it's not a hard game at all. I really hope it's a hit for you and I'm glad to see it on your list!

She likes Timeline Diversity, which is a bit like your Cardline Animals, I think? but I get tired of playing that one. I should probably just grab expansions.

Just got Patchwork, which I expect her to love. It's got a bit of the Blokus (which is a favorite and you can get small) tile laying aspect, while being for 2 and it's themed. Blokus is best with more than 2.

She also loves Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. If your mom has trouble with what she reads, perhaps she wouldn't have issues if you read and she listened, and she helped you decide where to go? Depends on how well the theme resonates with her I guess.

Wish you all the success in the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TIM0THY wrote:
I seem to remember there is a Star Wars version of timeline out there, though it may be a bit hard to find.

omg that's amazing I had no idea...this is a MUST have now haha! Wasn't too hard to find online, though it is a bit pricey.

Thank you for pointing this one out to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.