Popular Tags: haplessly_yours [+] [View All]
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here we are at the end of October.

Ares now knows if they have fulfilled their latest schedule for the anniversary edition (after badly failing at 2 other schedules).

Will Ares let hapless buyers know if things are on schedule soon? Or will they wait until almost time to ship to finally break their silence again to offer a new schedule (as they have done twice)?

I know what I would do for a good customer whom I had twice disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently you missed the update early September:
http://www.aresgames.eu/17281

New deliver date is ~ December.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. No I didn't miss the update.

The point is that Ares says that they should have shipped out the game from China to their warehouses by the end of October.

So they know now if they have again missed their schedule. The question is whether or not they will bother to tell hapless customers about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i can spend my time painting warriors of the middle earth while waiting

We will prolly have it for cristmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hapless customer?

No, I don't think so! Not at all!!

I am just an eager War of the Ring fan,

patiently waiting for an incredible version

of War of the Ring.

Unlike Snowflakes, you have to just be

patient and try to weather this delay.

Don't melt under the stress. You will

be rewarded with an incredible game!

Hang in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I wish i would have had the game already? Sure. Are they "wasting" their time? I don't think so. They've been pretty clear why the delays have happened and everything is reasonable. I'll forgive them if it means they spent extra time making sure this edition is top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anniversary Edition-End of October
Just got a message from Ares at their Facebook.

The game is still in production and has not shipped from China.

So at least we now know that they have again missed their schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the anticipated cost of the anniversary edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:

It was available for pre-order last July for $369 + $20 shipping to US. I believe Ares said they are sold out at this point, but you can try to contact them to be notified if anyone backs out of their pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically they said 6-8 weeks from the date of the article which was "around" the end of October so they weren't under any deadline to get it out by 10/31.

At least point probably best to make peace with it being sometime in the Jan/Feb 2017 time frame. Only thing you can do going forward is to vote with your wallet if you aren't a fan of how they've done things.

For this kind of specialty product though it's not really going to matter whether you buy it or not. It's a limited run of a well respected game that folks are willing to drop $400 on a year+ in advance so it will sell out regardless.

Wish there was a better answer to the questions than that but there ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sax11 wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

It was available for pre-order last July for $369 + $20 shipping to US. I believe Ares said they are sold out at this point, but you can try to contact them to be notified if anyone backs out of their pre-order.

Thanks. Are they going to reprint the second edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter K. Hubig
Germany
bei Aschaffenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahl wrote:

Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkh1 wrote:
kendahl wrote:

Yes!

Good news! Searched around and it looks like maybe mid-December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would much rather they take the time needed to give us the best product possible than rush out a defective product to meet an arbitrary deadline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
I would much rather they take the time needed to give us the best product possible than rush out a defective product to meet an arbitrary deadline.

Agree totally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance,

Did they give you any specific information about when they think they will be shipping?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they did not.

I am pleased that they, at least, admitted that we will be seeing another delay now rather than waiting until almost the promised shipping time to let us know.

In reference to some of the above posts: Did you see anyone suggesting that they wanted a rush job on this product? I haven't and didn't.

My sole bitch was the lack of communication from Ares about the status of this very expensive game.

Each time they have missed a deadline, they have waited almost right up until that deadline to mention it to the customers who fronted them $400 up front.

That is their right to do so. They have said that anyone can get a refund whenever they want.

It's just not what I would do to my own customers.

Best,

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
In reference to some of the above posts: Did you see anyone suggesting that they wanted a rush job on this product? I haven't and didn't.
But your general tone is one of complaint, instead of one of excitement. I think people are reacting more to your tone overall vs. the content.

lancemoody wrote:
Now with a third delay (of unknown duration) this product had BETTER be absolutely perfect with paint jobs that exceed those of the Collectors edition as promised, a fantastic map, error-free rules, etc.
It need not be perfect, and that's a crazy standard. Nothing is perfect. It should be excellent, and I'm confident it will be. Instead of complaining about delays and poor communication around delays, why not instead share why you're so eager to get it? Have you played it before? Are you giving it as a gift? etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ira,

If you would like to start your own thread with perhaps a title like,

"Third Delay for War of the Ring! I can't wait for the Fourth!"

then I refer you to the New Post button above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a round for everyone while we're waiting to see where this thread ends up. Innkeeper, more pretzels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Ira,

If you would like to start your own thread with perhaps a title like,

"Third Delay for War of the Ring! I can't wait for the Fourth!"

then I refer you to the New Post button above.

As humorous a thread as I'm sure that would become, I guess I just don't get the point of making these whining threads. There are delays, there's occasionally poor communication, and both of these things are prevalent in nearly every industry. With Ares 'occasionally' doesn't work there since it's pretty much every project they've done, but we all knew that or should have known that going into this thing. Delays and communication aside though Ares makes some great games and has great production standards, so I'm willing to put up with those flaws.

Am I disappointed this game keeps getting pushed back? Yes. I'm also disappointed Final Fantasy XV keeps getting pushed back. Different industries, but in both of these cases it seems that the developers are pushing things back because they aren't satisfied with the state of the project and want to make it right/as good as possible. If the delay was from them slacking, mismanaging funds, or just strait up sucking at time management (I could list a few Kickstarters here) then perhaps it could be justified.

Ares has made it easy to get your money back if people are tired of the delays, and posting an 'Another Delay gripe thread' really doesn't do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bulger
United States
Fuquay-Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I know what Ares is going through.

I have dealt with the international contractors/factories on many occasions. Ares is relaying, to the best of their ability, dates the factories are providing them.

The scope of this endeavor is massive. It is, at best, a delicate balancing act trying orchestrate a number of vendors (printers, painters, molders, etc.) into a cohesive, deadline driven finished (first class) product.

Unless you've done this before, first hand, you can't imagine the magnitude of what it takes to get this into the market at a specific date.

I myself will wait patiently for mine, knowing that when I get it, I will be gratified of the first class product from Ares I have come to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
macccca mack
United Kingdom
Staines upon Thames
Middlesex
flag msg tools
It's a shame everything has to be made in China. I'd gladly pay more to have it made in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drillerman45 wrote:
It's a shame everything has to be made in China. I'd gladly pay more to have it made in Europe.

You would be paying a LOT more. Like probably double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
drillerman45 wrote:

You would be paying a LOT more. Like probably double.

But on the plus side, we could then have a thread excoriating Ares for any and all delays caused by Brexit uncertainties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.