Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up to save you a few bucks! bag

From the FFP Facebook page:

Quote:
Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress is a brand new dungeon crawl adventure boardgame in the Shadows of Brimstone series. It can either be played on its own, as a stand-alone game, or it can be used in combination with any and all of the other Shadows of Brimstone products! It is fully compatible, in every way!

The Kickstarter launches October 31st @3PM PST! Earlybird for the first 24 hours! Please share this message with friends to help spread the word!

https://www.facebook.com/FFPgames/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Forbidden Fortress KS : Starts 10/31 : 24 hour EB
Thanks for the info. I never read Facebook so appreciate you mentioning it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Forbidden Fortress KS : Starts 10/31 : 24 hour EB
Wow, a time period EB instead of X-numbers (that disappears in the first 5 seconds)...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Forbidden Fortress KS : Starts 10/31, 3pm PST : 24 hour EB
shnar wrote:
Wow, a time period EB instead of X-numbers (that disappears in the first 5 seconds)...

-shnar

This is certainly a fair way to go. The original KS got a lot of grief with the tiered Mine Cart that went up and up.

At least I'll feel comfortable looking over the options without feeling like I have to select as quickly as possible. Though I'm still not 100% sure I'll back it. I'm happy with the original game and have so much content not sure I need more. And I like the old west theme more. But probably makes sense to just grab an EB and re-evaluate before the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of what I'm thinking. Japanese fantasy has never really been my cup of tea, so I'm not even sure I want to back this, at all. I'll take a look tomorrow though.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I too do not know why I'd need this next to SoB.
Besides Kingdom Death KS start that same time and will swallow a lot of funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
I too do not know why I'd need this next to SoB...

To be able to field another 1000 point army to go up against the Trederran Union Faction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lt.Gruber is missing his little tank.

I guess we found it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:
Lt.Gruber is missing his little tank.

I guess we found it

But I can't see the fallen Madonna with the big boobies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am SO on the fence with backing this.

I love the crap out of this game, but I'm concerned that if I back the KS, I will be waiting 6+ months longer than those who just buy retail. What's worse is that FFP has never really acknowledged the fact that KS backers got the shaft. If I can be assured that I'll get my product at the same time as or before retail, I'll throw them ALL my money. Otherwise, I'll have to think long and hard.

Love the game, not sure how I feel about the way the company is run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wish this kickstarter would've been devoted to expand the end game for SoB rather than more of the same. It would have been nice to see the level cap raised, fixed difficulty rules for high level characters, tiered loot from named bosses, etc...

Maybe even including a story campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Shadows of Brimstone and while I really like the feudal Japan setting and theme, I enjoy the Old West theme more.

Since I am still waiting on the remainder of my content from my Outlaw pledge. I feel I still have a ton of content that I haven't even played with yet. I can't see shelling out more cash for more stuff when I still have a ton of stuff coming and haven't played with any of it yet.

I kind of wish they hadn't started another kickstarter until about six months after they had released and delivered all of the stuff from the first campaign. As much as I enjoy Flying Frog's games, I'm going to have to sit this one out .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

I kind of wish they hadn't started another kickstarter until about six months after they had released and delivered all of the stuff from the first campaign. As much as I enjoy Flying Frog's games, I'm going to have to sit this one out .

That was my thought. I still have so much stuff due to arrive in a few months, I can't see myself pre-ordering even more stuff. Perhaps if the price point is something low like $60? But I'm guessing the starting point will be somewhere between $75 and $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
I kind of wish this kickstarter would've been devoted to expand the end game for SoB rather than more of the same. It would have been nice to see the level cap raised, fixed difficulty rules for high level characters, tiered loot from named bosses, etc...

Maybe even including a story campaign.

Well, we have no idea of what this will offer. There may even be an add-on designed with the enemies from all 3 base games elevated above Brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I love Shadows of Brimstone and while I really like the feudal Japan setting and theme, I enjoy the Old West theme more.

Since I am still waiting on the remainder of my content from my Outlaw pledge. I feel I still have a ton of content that I haven't even played with yet. I can't see shelling out more cash for more stuff when I still have a ton of stuff coming and haven't played with any of it yet.

This is the way I feel too. The primary reason I might get it is for the canyons since they are typical western environments in a lot of movies. As it stands I can't store this game because there are too many boxes for it, and I'm sure that when we get the rest of the stuff it'll add another 3 large boxes, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Glad it's a 24 hour thing, 3pm PST (6pm EST) time I'll be out trick-or-treating!

I'll probably back it, but I still feel weird that I'll be waiting another 2–4 months on the original KS to ship and then backing this one. It's not that I don't think FFP will be able to deliver on it, it's just that I might just want to wait on stuff to show up in their store since being a KS backer seems to put us at the back of the line to get anything new.

I'm hoping the Forbidden Fortress expansion will see more focus on melee combat, since I'm not expecting there to be alot of ranged stuff in Japan (besides bows/arrows, shurikens, spells/magic, and spears), but we'll have a better idea later today. I think a focus on melee and maneuvering around baddies could help with the tendency of some monster groups to just gang up on the Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
This is the way I feel too. The primary reason I might get it is for the canyons since they are typical western environments in a lot of movies. As it stands I can't store this game because there are too many boxes for it, and I'm sure that when we get the rest of the stuff it'll add another 3 large boxes, at least.

Yeah, I would like to get the canyons as well but I just can't justify buying more right now when I have a ton of stuff still on the way that I haven't got to the table. Not to mention, I'm expecting my Conan Kickstarter to arrive any day. That along with all of the stuff still pending from my Outlaw pledge. I've got no idea where I'm going to fit this stuff. My shelf space is just too limited to fit all of these huge games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This KS is almost perfectly catered to my gaming group. We love Westerns, we love Japan, and we're really looking forward to mixing the two.

"Supernatural Japanese Nonsense" seemed like an obvious other direction to take it, given how much thematic cross-pollination there is between (spaghetti-)westerns and samurai flicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
2 years later and I still haven't received the rest of my original SoB kickstarter, and they are making another...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan

Wisconsin
msg tools
Flying Frog's creative team is done with the original kickstarter items. I don't understand why people think they should be sitting there doing nothing (or worse yet, get laid off) while we wait for China to get their production finished and shipped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rakur wrote:
I don't understand why people think they should be sitting there doing nothing (or worse yet, get laid off) while we wait for China to get their production finished and shipped out.

My reason is that I have a ton of content that I don't know when/if I will ever find time to incorporate and play which will still not be arriving for 3+ months. Spending money on another kickstarter for more content seems like a poor use of my money. Does that make sense? I would assume there are many people that feel the same way that I do.

I wouldn't expect them to not be working on or developing something new. It just doesn't seem like a wise time to launch another kickstarter in my opinion. It would make more sense to me to finish delivering all of the content then launch the new kickstarter which will hopefully be closer to being fully developed or even complete. Which would alleviate a lot of the issues with how long it took for the previous campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is simply horrible.

SOB was such a bloated mess and now they are doing it again. I am a avaowed FFP fanboy.. but this shit the put out now is trash drivle.

I miss my old School FFP with the games they used to put out. Creative inoavative(just go along with me here) and simply fun.

Now they have sold out in my book to the miniature world.

FFP if your reading this , you lost your way. Shame. Show me something fucking new dammit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure most of you have heard of some of the high-profile video game pre-order fiascos that have happened recently which send gamers into this loop:
- Much hype for game
- Everybody pre-orders game based on hype
- Game doesn't deliver on over-hyped list of features
- Gamers are mad "I will *never* pre-order again!"
- Much hype for new game
- "OMG OMG OMG! Want! Need!"
- And the cycle repeats...

I'm getting the feeling this new Kickstarter is going to have a similar effect for many people.

This is still FFP, and there are many problems with their original Kickstarter that they have never even addressed. I totally expect this new Kickstarter to have many of those same problems:

- There will be really, really poor communication. They post updates once a month at most, and these updates are always heavy on the "we'll be at convention X / just got back from convention X / look, new stuff NOT included in Kickstarter / look, new artwork" and very light on the "here's the progress we've made on the stuff / our timeline is now looking like this / any actual pertinent information for someone who's been waiting for their pledge for 3 years". They should seriously look at the updates that Roxley Games put out for their Kickstarters (like this: http://kck.st/2fnFXMV).

- KS backers will get their pledges long after the stuff hits retail. Possibly even years after. Unless there is something explicit in the KS campaign, do not expect anything different.

- They will develop new content not from the KS before they're even close to being finished with the stuff they promised backers. Again, unless there is something explicit in the KS campaign, do not expect anything different.

I also echo John (Wetworks)'s feeling that this seems like it is just going to be adding more variety (breadth) to a game that I think would benefit a lot from some extra depth... Mile wide, inch deep, etc, etc. But I suppose that is the FFP way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
then launch the new kickstarter which will hopefully be closer to being fully developed or even complete. Which would alleviate a lot of the issues with how long it took for the previous campaign.

My impression, from what they showed at GenCon, and what I saw myself at PAX, is that this IS much closer to being fully developed, or even complete (the actual base game box, at least). Prototype models are done, the base game mechanics are done (since it's Brimstone), the new map tiles are done. I'm guessing the other content - classes, monsters, encounters and other card elements - is also pretty close.

We'll see in a few hours, but I'm expecting this KS to be -much- better prepared, and -much- further along. Hopefully this is a situation where "successful funding" means "ordering actual production of copies to begin".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
I also echo John (Wetworks)'s feeling that this seems like it is just going to be adding more variety (breadth) to a game that I think would benefit a lot from some extra depth... Mile wide, inch deep, etc, etc. But I suppose that is the FFP way.

I'm hoping that they include a bit more focus on depth in stretch goals than just "MOAR STUFF" for everything. Expand on what we have. Do things that are easier to produce and deliver (like booklets, or even web-content).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.