Clank!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules - timing - Little secret Magic Spring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The general rule is that cards can be played in any order. However Magic Spring rule states "At the end of this turn trash a card ...".

Lets say I deal 5 cards. One is stumble. I would like to trash stumble. Can I both trash stumble at the end of my turn and also avoid playing 1 clank. Or does "end of this turn" mean after everything else and I can trash Stumble but still have to play clank.

Also not so much a rule question but Scepter of the Monkey King 3 skill + 3 clank and some VP. This should only be bought in the end game on the way out of the dungeon? Or am I missing something? It would be neat (and oh so spiteful) if there was a rule or circumstance that allowed me to move this card from my play area into an opponents discard area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I remember the spring mentioning something about trashing from your hand or discard, so if you trash from hand then you don't have to play Stumble. I don't have the rules in front of me though.

3 skill is very impactful in the early game, don't overestimate the danger of clank! It's a great card, especially with more players. I would probably buy it early and not go for a big artifact, but try to buy a lot of tomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for magic spring are "trash a card from your PLAY AREA or DISCARD PILE." You can't trash a Stumble before you play it. So you just take the Clank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
vercingettyrex wrote:
Also not so much a rule question but Scepter of the Monkey King 3 skill + 3 clank and some VP. This should only be bought in the end game on the way out of the dungeon?

That is what happened in my game.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24032016#24032016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
vercingettyrex wrote:
Also not so much a rule question but Scepter of the Monkey King 3 skill + 3 clank and some VP. This should only be bought in the end game on the way out of the dungeon?

That is what happened in my game.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24032016#24032016

It also only costs 3 skill to get. No other card in the game that gives +3 skill is even close to that cheap. Getting this early should steer you to cheap artifact, secret tome, gem strategy. A card that gives +3 skill that can be bought before your first shuffle should NOT be underestimated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Legend5555 wrote:
The rules for magic spring are "trash a card from your PLAY AREA or DISCARD PILE." You can't trash a Stumble before you play it. So you just take the Clank.

If that is the case I've been playing the rules wrong. For instance there is a card, I can't remember the name, and I don't have the wonderful Clank! in front of me, that states discard one card to draw two.

I've played this card the following way - if you have a stumble you could choose to discard that card to play two other cards and even better avoid the clank. But if cards that generate Clank always generate clank regardless, then I've got it wrong.

Are stumbles or cards that generate clank always played for the clank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card asks you to discard a card, you CAN discard a Stumble to avoid clank. You are discarding a card you haven't played yet. All The effects that trash a card say PLAY AREA or DISCARD PILE. So you must have the card in play to trash it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Legend5555 wrote:
If a card asks you to discard a card, you CAN discard a Stumble to avoid clank. You are discarding a card you haven't played yet. All The effects that trash a card say PLAY AREA or DISCARD PILE. So you must have the card in play to trash it.

In effect what I am doing is no different. I play the clank.

But the reasoning is different. I'm interested in the distinction between Trash and Discard that you are making in this regard. I play the clank because the Magic spring happens at the end of the turn after everything else.

That is to say the Magic Spring can be used to remove a stumble, at the end of the turn, after it's effect has been played (clank), not because it might be trashed.

However I'm happy if it is the case that trash has a distinct timing ruling from discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm failing to see why you didn't think there was a difference between discard and trash. You can't "discard" a card that's in play. You can argue that the definition of discard is ambiguous, but a huge percentage of games where you have a hand of cards use discard to mean "from your hand." Assuming otherwise would generally be an exception.

Plus, from a gameplay stand point, if you discarded a card from play for the two cards that reference discarding, it would make those cards way too strong.

And besides, as you pointed out, all trash effects happen at the end of the turn, and you have to play every card in your hand that isn't discarded for another card's effect. So you wouldn't even be able to trash a card in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a list of definitions in the manual on the page titled "Advanced Maneuvers"

Discard, Trash and Play Area are all clearly defined there. These are not direct quotes as I can't be bothered to type it all out

Discard is a card from your hand that you haven't played yet and specifically mentions it as a useful way to avoid having to pay clank.

Trash is from your discard pile or play area

Play Area is where cards you have played this turn go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.