Subject: What to buy first? Descent 2 or Imperial Assault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Nieve
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys!
Only one question. I don't know which buy first.

Descent: Journeys in the dark (Second Edition) or Star Wars Imperial Assault

I know that are virtually identical, but leave the thematic aside, what do you recommend?

Before all, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you want, really.

Imperial Assault for 1vsMany or 1vs1 Skirmish.
Descent 2 for full coop (with app).

Overall, apart from the new app-based cooperative mode (which only Descent 2 has for now, but it is only a matter of time, that Imperial Assault gets there as well, I believe), Imperial Assault is the more refined game. So, unless you want the coop mode, I would go with Imperial Assault.

There is the Star Wars vs. Fantasy theme difference to consider also, of course.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue neither - get Descent 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not virtually identical. They are quite similar, but there are a lot of small but important changes to how things work, changing the overall experience. Also, Imperial Assault has Skirmish Mode. On the other hand, Descent has a solo app.

However, go with which theme you prefer. If you don't prefer one over the other, I would go with Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
IA is getting a coop mode right? If so then that shouldn't be a deciding factor in which one to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
IA is getting a coop mode right? If so then that shouldn't be a deciding factor in which one to get.

There are solo variants, and IA is getting some kind of app at some point - the details are non-existent, more information is expected sometime next year.

RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1
RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant V2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.