Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtually every review has mentioned this as a sort of 18xx card game without the board which of course immediately brings to mind Rolling Stock.

Curious to hear from folks who have actually played both and can share how they compare and contrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both a few times.

Rolling Stock is a heavier game with more issues to consider across a longer timeframe. North American Railways is easier to understand, easier to play and (probably) more fun. The simplicity of the rules and the game systems are deceptive though: the game has real decisions, timing of decisions matter and plenty of thinking about how and who you support when buying shares. And it takes a fraction of the time compared to Rolling Stock, which is more closely aligned to 18XX than just a card game. Rolling Stock takes hours whereas North American Railways is less than an hour. So they may appear superficially similar but do not satisfy the same development itch in your gaming CV.

North American Railways has some production issues which is disappointing but do not prevent play in any way. Spielworxx produces games that are interesting but sometimes the production outcome feels more Winsome level than Hans im Gluck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North American Railways doesn't really have anything to do with 18xx, except that it has shares and trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
North American Railways doesn't really have anything to do with 18xx, except that it has shares and trains.

Neither has Rolling Stock actually (except that is has shares and railway companies, not trains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Virtually every review has mentioned this as a sort of 18xx card game without the board which of course immediately brings to mind Rolling Stock.

Curious to hear from folks who have actually played both and can share how they compare and contrast.

They're both totally different games that happen to share a common theme. And I don't find North American Railways comparable to any 18xx I've played. It feels a bit like a Winsome Games game, but not like 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludwig Seitz wrote:
msaari wrote:

Neither has Rolling Stock actually (except that is has shares and railway companies, not trains).

To me, Rolling Stock feels quite a bit like an 18xx game, though there are certainly many differences from your standard 18xx game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the characteristic of Rolling Stock that feels most unique with respect to the 18xx is not the lack of a board, it's the following:

In most 18xx players control both the inherent value of a company, and the price of its stock, fairly independently of each other.

In Rolling Stock players have as much or more control over value, and then the stock price is automatically pulled towards that value, rather quickly. So it's hard to keep a crappy company overvalued, or a great company cheap to buy in to.

I haven't played North American Railways yet, although I've preordered it on the strength of The King Is Dead and a rules read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.