Hide
5 Posts

The Sands of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: smoke and gas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
asbos asbos
msg tools
Can someone plz clarify these rules for me? E.g. how long does smoke stay, how fast does it spread and how far, does each hex have its own dispersion time? As far as gas is concerned, in the rules it says that e.g. 4 field arty salvos are required for light concentration but in most scenarios u get only 3 salvos of gas in total for the field arty! So how does gas work at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- how long does smoke stay, how fast does it spread and how far:
Depends on who is producing the smoke: armour and infantry only their hex one turn [pag 15], if from artillery: depends on type of artillery and force of wind: always pag 15 has a grid with all possible combinations, the grid is also reproduced in the Movement and Visibility chart. Plus remember: strong wind --> doesn't cover and dissipates immediately. Smoke is instantaneous.

- does each hex have its own dispersion time?
No all hex are the same.

- As far as gas is concerned, in the rules it says that e.g. 4 field arty salvos are required for light concentration but in most scenarios u get only 3 salvos of gas in total for the field arty.

For political reasons Gas was very seldom used, only in one occasion I think between Iraq and Iran. The game correctly limits this possibility for historical reasons but the rules allow gas usage for fiction campaigns between players.
In my Campaign games we make use of Gas and chemical weapons as unpalatable as it should be in real life. Not only on an humanitarian bases but also on a political level. We don't forbid it but we "charge" a cost in asset point reduction [pag 72] caused by international condemnation and embargo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asbos asbos
msg tools
Thank you for your prompt reply. So in the Final Fire Phase the arty smoke lands on the target hex and instantly spreads downwind, which means that we immediately place the corresponding number of smoke markers according to the matrix chart? How long do these stay on map? On p15 it doesnt say anywhere about how long smoke stays, arty or tank/inf made.
Gas is used in all Iran-Iraq scenarios (just like in reality) except the first two but in most of them the situation I pointed out arises (that is not enough salvos to achieve even light concentration according to the rules). So if the amount of gas salvos given in the scenario setup can have no effect on gameplay, why given at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I was referring to the "Essential Histories series - The Iran-Iraq War 1980-1988" from Osprey written by Efraim Karsh.

He writes that although both sides had gas at their disposal, they chose not to use it except for a 2 battles.

About the game I would have to go to the rule book but I'm busy this week.

Hope you find all the answers.

We played this game extensively specially our own designed campaign.

One of my favorite games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmb
I've played this game a lot, but have thus far avoided scenarios with gas. He's correct, in most of them you can't actually create a gas cloud even once! I'm still vague on the gas movement rules. Also, what is the difference between "Moderate variable" and "Moderate" wind? Are there missing wind change rules (like in ASL, direction and intensity)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.