Subject: Constantinople space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople can hold up to three pieces.
-Can these pieces be of a different color?
-If i want to play a card just to place one Knight in Constantinople which is full can I pay 3 florins to repress all 3 pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only time the unit color matters is when they are placed via a Levy. So yes, I believe Constantinople units can be of different colors.

I would expect that repression is limited to one unit only. It would feel a bit overpowered to be able to displace three units on one card action,unless there's something in the rules that leads you to think otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Place Rook & Knight Agents. Place these into your choice of Cities on the Map Card specified. If you choose a City occupied by a Token, you must Repress it, and pay 1 Florin for each Token repressed. A placed Agent can even Repress a Token of the same type and color in this manner. Important: The city icon (rook or knight) is irrelevant when placing a Token due to card play! Remember that Constantinople holds up to three Tokens.

In the case that the color of the city would matter the above rule is quite confusing.
But I think you're right about having different color agents in Constantinople

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tavlas wrote:
Quote:
Place Rook & Knight Agents. Place these into your choice of Cities on the Map Card specified. If you choose a City occupied by a Token, you must Repress it, and pay 1 Florin for each Token repressed. A placed Agent can even Repress a Token of the same type and color in this manner. Important: The city icon (rook or knight) is irrelevant when placing a Token due to card play! Remember that Constantinople holds up to three Tokens.

In the case that the color of the city would matter the above rule is quite confusing.
But I think you're right about having different color agents in Constantinople

I think the bold part of the rule you quote suggests that you can repress all tokens in Constantinople, if you have the florins to do so. I don't see anything in it that says you are restricted to just repressing one token. However, you could only repress the tokens necessary to allow you to place your agents. So if you are trying to place one agent, then you would repress just one token to make room for it.

And I also don't see anything in the rules that restricts the color of tokens in a city, even if multiple colored tokens are in Constantinople. That makes sense to me as there is no reason why knights and rooks of different religious convictions could not exist in the same city. That is similar to having them exist in the same country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Ken and Rich. Any color units can be placed as agents in Constantinople, just as in every other city. If you place one agent (of any color) in Constantinople, and it is full, you must pay 1 florin to repress one of the three units there. If you are placing two agents, pay 2 florins to repress two units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Agreeing with Ken and Rich. Any color units can be placed as agents in Constantinople, just as in every other city. If you place one agent (of any color) in Constantinople, and it is full, you must pay 1 florin to repress one of the three units there. If you are placing two agents, pay 2 florins to repress two units.

Yes, but the question was: can I place, let´s say, one agent and repress two or three units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
phileklund wrote:

Yes, but the question was: can I place, let´s say, one agent and repress two or three units?

No, you may not repress two or three tokens in order to place just one token. You can use additional, separate actions to repress those extra tokens, but not as part of the play of your card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question: In case of a succesful Jihad in Ottoman: do the Ruling Class Tokens transfered to the other side of the map also not have to match the unit shape and color on the other side?

In other words: Does the unit color and shape really ONLY matter when the Tokens are placed via a Levy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Correct, Unit Color and Shape only matter when Tokens are placed via a Levy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:

I think this simple and exact sentence should be mentioned explicitly somewhere in the rules (maybe under TOKEN MANAGMENT?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
mooken wrote:

I think this simple and exact sentence should be mentioned explicitly somewhere in the rules (maybe under TOKEN MANAGMENT?)

The fact that the city color and shape matters only during Levies is mentioned under "City" in the glossary. The color and shape of tokens does matter during other situations (such as agent placement), but the color and shape of cities only matters during Levies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out, Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With any Eklund games, it is important NOT to gloss over the glossary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One more question: In the living rules under K2 the red addition was made:

K2. Crusade, Reformation, or Jihad Effects.
Map Card Change. A victorious crusade flips the Map Card if the other side is Catholic. A victorious jihad flips the Map Card if the other side is Islamic. A victorious reformation flips the Map Card if the other side is Reformist. Transfer all Ruling Class to the same Cities on the other side (attacker’s choice in the case of Constantinople).

I don´t quite understand: what choice does the attacker have here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The commentary in the Living Rules on this change referred to possible ambiguity with which of the 3 "slots" in Constantinople the tokens should be moved to. I had not thought of the 3 tokens printed on the card for Constantinople as indicated "slots" to be filled, but had treated that city as able to hold 3 tokens. But it looks like you should place tokens on the printed tokens to show the position they occupy. The rule had said you must transfer tokens to the same city on the other side, but with Constantinople there are 3 positions you could transfer a token too. If, say, you had only one token to transfer the question was which "slot" it should go to. The red change says the attacker gets to choose where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since levies can only be placed based on the tokens printed on the map, it matters where tokens are placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
We had a possibly related question to this come up yesterday. Trade fair runs and reaches the Ottoman card, Constantinople had 1 black rook and 1 black knight in it. What levy should we create? We assumed you could choose any of the pre-printed options for Constantinople and thus choose either a black rook or a knight, but felt there was an argument that you had to try and match the printed token mix.

From what I'm reading above, what is actually true is that Constantinople has 3 slots, we should have determined which slots were 'occupied' and then any free slot generates the levy printed on the board, is that the correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
From what I'm reading above, what is actually true is that Constantinople has 3 slots, we should have determined which slots were 'occupied' and then any free slot generates the levy printed on the board, is that the correct interpretation?

Yes, exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.