1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: best deck builders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ward
England
flag msg tools
What are the best games that at least have an element of deck building?
thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This has been asked four days ago already. You should find it back with a little bit of digging through forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it will get ask again many times....

Welcome newuser!

I recommend A Few Acres of Snow and Rune Age. Now was that too hard Raz?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds (2-5 players, 2 hours with expansions with 3 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is the best pure deck builder i have played.

Ascension is quite good if you want to play only two player.

Hyperborea is excellent in how it implements the pool building with some fun tableau building and board interaction.

Rococo is good. I only played it once but thought it was cool. It is more of a hand builder since there is no luck of the draw.

Lewis and Clark is also good but the race feel can be a turn off to some and it can get really slow with 4-5 players.

Concordia is probably the most well regarded euro board game that implements deck building. I only played it once and thought it was fine. I need to try it again. My only complaint was that the theme and art are incredibly dull and euro in their feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms - can be played competitively, cooperatively, and solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favourites are

Apex theropod deck building game. Amazing game, especially solo. And dinosaurs!!!

Super motherload. Not your traditional deck builder, a nice take on the mechanism combined with mining minerals from variable boards of mars.

Arctic scavengers. Traditional deck builder. Just think the theme of this is really cool and enjoyed every game iv played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is among the best games that feature deckbuilding as a major element (it is not a pure deckbuilder like Dominion or Star Realms, tho, and it is a pretty big and involved game).

Core Worlds is my favorite deckbuilding game when it comes to pure deckbuilders. It does need the Core Worlds: Galactic Orders expansion, though.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two current favorites:
Tyrants of the Underdark
Arctic Scavengers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Core Worlds is my favorite deckbuilding game when it comes to pure deckbuilders. It does need the Core Worlds: Galactic Orders expansion, though.

I would not say pure, because you have to manage other resources than cards as well - the number of actions you have and choosing the right one depending on other players (rotating turns), energy, warzone, and with Galactic Orders the order tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains
Trains: Rising Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best puredeck builder is Dominion. Period.

Concordia is a great euro with deckbuilding; dedkbuilding for scoring is essential (though easy to forget)

A Study in Emerald (second edition) is emerging as a favorite game with a deckbuilding elementary my table; Secret Teams, strategic deck building, relatively simple basic rules and an under 2 hour time period. The theme actually comes through.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I couldn't think of a better term there to differentiate it.

It does have some other elements, but those really take on more of a side role, while the game's primary focus is on the deckbuilding.

In Mage Knight, for example, the focus is not really the deckbuilding, even though it is a very prominent feature of the game.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings has a lovely Egypt theme with a real hand-made feel to the artwork. It also packs into a tiny box and has a sensational 'crumbling pyramid' system of card selection as opposed to the somewhat messy piles in Dominion. Just got it myself and it's fired a couple of deckbuilders already.

After this I'd got for Star Realms as it offers a nice change of visual pace (Dominion's artwork is so poor in places it's laughable), and it's £10. Also, it more or less mirrors Ascension's gameplay (although Ascension's artwork is lovely, too). Hope that helps you decide.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a great game, plays well from 2-4 players (though it has a different feel at the different counts). I haven't tried it solo as I don't have the gambit cards, but I've heard it's good if that's your poison.

Lewis and Clark is fun, but it's melded with a board race/worker placement game that some find very enjoyable, but other don't. I would say the deck building is a bit of a back seat in this one, as most of what you're doing is managing your hand as you will spend all of it by the end of the round.

Paperback is a great deckbuilder if word games are your thing. It's literally just dominion with words, so if you're a fan of both, you might find it great. Personally, I really love it.

Eminent Domain is a deckbuilder that also has some role selection mechanics from Glory to Rome. I wasn't impressed by it, but it does some unique stuff if that's interesting to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank! is excellent. Combines deck building with an adventure game, with push your luck and a race as well. It's definitely my favorite ive played.

Eminent Domain is my 2nd favorite. A ton of variability in this one once you throw in the Escalation expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Venezuela
Caracas
flag msg tools
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings, Dale of Merchants, Hero Realms, Paperback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun: Crossfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominion is still number one for me, despite being first in. I also love Valley of the Kings and Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the Legendary games yet.

So many themes/IPs are out there now:

Legendary: Marvel (still the best, imho)
Legendary: Aliens
Legendary: Predator
Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China
Legendary: Firefly
Legendary: Buffy (coming next year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:

And all poor... The DC Deckbuilder is better (not that it's great).

Dominion is the best by far for a pure deckbuilder. Eminent Domain deserves a mention.

If you didn't really mean 'pure' then give Mythotopia and Mage Knight Board Game a look.

You may also want to consider dice-builder and bag-builder games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

And all poor... The DC Deckbuilder is better (not that it's great).

Dominion is the best by far for a pure deckbuilder. Eminent Domain deserves a mention.

If you didn't really mean 'pure' then give Mythotopia and Mage Knight Board Game a look.

You may also want to consider dice-builder and bag-builder games.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I found the DCDBG to be utter garbage, as well as way too light/quick.

Of course, I also find Dominion to be utter garbage because I hate multiplayer solitaire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's out of print, and it is not as easy to learn as others, but Nightfall and it's expansions is my favorite pure deck builder. Some people are turned off by the game's aggressive nature, and for some reason a handful of people find the chaining mechanism confusing even though it is pretty simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm not too excited by straight up deck-building games.

I'll say that one of my favorite mechanics is hand-building, as seen in Concordia, Lewis & Clark, and Mombasa, the former two already having been mentioned in this thread.

I'd also like to mention Xenon Profiteer as a game which does something interesting by taking the focus off of deck building and onto deck thinning, my personal favorite part about deck-building games. It's pretty unique, and probably worth at least looking into.

Mage Knight Board Game is also great, as many have said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Star Realms

I know it has been mentioned a lot already, but it really is a great two player deck builder. The app is also fantastic.

If you prefer a fantasy theme, the same company is coming out with Hero Realms, which I am psyched for! It was recently kickstarted (I missed out soblue) and it has the addition of an expansion that provides character specific starting decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.