Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Fitting it all into one box? And big box xpac question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Ly
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
I decided on a whim to just finally expand and picked up all the small box expansions. I'am just having a real hard time fitting it all into one box, any tips?

Also, are the Big Boxed expansions investigators tied to the sideboard exlusively?(do these investigators have abilities which only interact with new sideboard/cards/GoO).

Is it still worth getting MoM after UtP?(if I were to get it next)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
takonic wrote:
I decided on a whim to just finally expand and picked up all the small box expansions. I'am just having a real hard time fitting it all into one box, any tips?

Also, are the Big Boxed expansions investigators tied to the sideboard exlusively?(do these investigators have abilities which only interact with new sideboard/cards/GoO).

Is it still worth getting MoM after UtP?(if I were to get it next)?

i have all the small box expansions but none of the big ones (cause i read that the ancient ones are on the easy side and sideboard is clunky(?)

and they can fit in the base box pretty well(cards),i just flip the paper insides of base and store things inside/and on the sides
but im also using the small boxes for containers of tokens

also no the investigators arent tied to the extra board( thats one reason i might get them someday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a custom solution that fits everything in the main box other than the Signs of Carcosa small box expansion which I don't yet have. The lid sits a little higher than normal due to the side boards. There's no more room for large cards but space for other components still. I'm thinking of moving the Ancient One cards to a separate box.

Custom Storage Solution for Eldritch Horror base game and all expansions (up to UtP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Ly
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
modernlife wrote:
I built a custom solution that fits everything in the main box other than the Signs of Carcosa small box expansion which I don't yet have. The lid sits a little higher than normal due to the side boards. There's no more room for large cards but space for other components still. I'm thinking of moving the Ancient One cards to a separate box.

Custom Storage Solution for Eldritch Horror base game and all expansions (up to UtP)

are your inserts made of foamcore? Very organized! I wish I had materials on hand for something like this, but the game sees alot of travel for me, afraid of things breaking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sideboards
No the sideboards integrate well into the game. When they're not used, nothing is redundant.

Sideboards are used in two scenarios:
1. A specific ancient one calls for it. Each big box comes with 2 ancient ones, 1 of which is tied to the board and 1 which isn't

2. A prelude card calls for it. Prelude cards are setup variations, you draw 1 to use before the start of the game and they usually give you some benefit (like free spells, free improvements) for some penalty (start with an epic monster on board, spawn some gates). There are 1 prelude card for each of the side boards and each box comes with about half a dozen or so preludes (very approximate off the top of my head).

No investigator abilities refer specifically to side boards
No monsters/mythos/spell cards etc. are exclusive to the boards as far as I can remember
Items specifically for side boards (the few that exist) can only be gotten when that board is out as far as I know.

As mentioned above, 1 of 2 ancient ones in each big box is tied to the side board and they must be used in those cases. Otherwise, you can mostly play without the boards if you want to (prelude cards are optional). All the extra other stuff is nice to have (items, artifacts, new investigators, mythos cards etc).

Fitting
Remove insert. Stack everything together, make sure no room is wasted. I used zip lock bags to sort everything.

Eldritch horror unfortunately has a smaller box than some other FFG games (because it has no miniatures), but with no sideboards you should be able to fit it in I think. I previously kept base+2 small box+1 big box in the base box (the top popped out a little)...eventually had to move it to 2 boxes after getting more xpacs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignas Masilionis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base + all small expansions and one big expansion all fit in base game box, without sleeves ofc. You just need to put everything piece by piece together like a puzzle, so cleanup takes time, but one box is worth it. Gameboards and rulebooks on the bottom, then large cards to the side,tokens in small bags provided in FFG. At the end just fill empty places with inverstigator tokens and close the lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturs Lescinskis
Latvia
flag msg tools
As it's been said, remove the insert. tokens can go either in bags, or a plano-like box(I'm using a similar box that it usually used for screws and shit).
All cards are separated in the bags, not sleeved though. And everything fits perfectly. I have core game + all small box expansions. If interested, I can take a photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takonic wrote:
are your inserts made of foamcore? Very organized! I wish I had materials on hand for something like this, but the game sees alot of travel for me, afraid of things breaking

Yes, foamcore with thick card for the base of each compartment. And a little bit of a poly prop sheet for the front of the small card tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jehane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve all my cards and bought little bead boxes for the components. I gave up trying to get it to fit into first one box, then two, a couple of months ago. I picked up a larger box from Michael's that allows me to store a lot of the stuff ready-to-go. It really saves on setup time, and is just easier all around. It' only a bit more cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason to have it all in one box, unless you're going to play with all the expansions at once. Might be interesting to play with more than on AO.

Myself, I pair up a big box with a small box:
* Base game and Forbidden Whatever for the base set AOs.
* Under the Pyramids and Forbidden Whatzit for that snake guy.
* Mansions of Madness and Strange Remnants to leave at home.

I also bling up the game with Toob toys and a dice tray, which all fit in the boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Deadalus quick setup inserts and have one box for all the base-game elements and a second box for expansions (I bought the Deadalus v1 set and the upgrade kit so the leftover old bits work nicely for that). then a third just for figures since I have almost all of the painted figs for the game.

Make for a large stack, but not too unwieldy. I many have to move to a suitcase soon like I did for Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarwono Agus
United States
WINTER SPRINGS
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Sleeve or Not To Sleeve?

Honestly I'm real tempted to not sleeve the cards because
1) they're just too many
2. it'll make storage much more challenging
3 - the cards are good enough stock that they should last...right?

Am I justified in leaving my cards naked or should I use protection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve the cards in many of many of my games but I don't feel a need to sleeve my Eldritch Horror cards for the following reasons:

Shuffling cards is not a frequent in-game mechanic. You shuffle once at setup and that's it for most of the game.

Cards don't need to be hidden in your hand. Whatever cards in possession of your investigator is generally open information so there's no need to worry about sweat/fingerprints getting all over the cards.

Now something like Dominion or Legendary Encounters requires constant shuffling and 7 Wonders the cards are constantly getting handled and passed around so those types of games get sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Psydotek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.