Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it seems that many folks now rate games halfway between two whole numbers, and usually on the .5 mark, I'd welcome the ability to look at the ratings with 0.5 increments on the histograms. Does anyone else share this view?

(This might also lead to a fix of that graph oddity where N.5 rounds up if N is odd and down if N is even. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Histograms like this wouldn't be very meaningful.

They would look like this:

X
X X
X X X X
X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Joe is correct--since fewer people use 0.5 ratings than whole numbers, you'd have a sawtooth graph that wouldn't be very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful? Who looks at the charts because they're useful? devil

Seriously, I wasn't recommending this as the standard, but as an option a user might be able to specify as a preference, or even get to via a backdoor by tacking an option on to the URL.

But, failing that, how about a fix on the inconsistent 0.5 roundoff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, honestly, any thought that something is worth a half an increment is something of a furfy. People's meagre half-point tweaks aren't worth any real affect. Personally I'd discourage anything that suggests BGG hopes/supports users putting any more thought into their ratings than the ten whole points.

Personally I'd remove the possibility of fractional ratings completely. But that has the public relations challenge of dealing with everyone who currently has fractional ratings.

Usage of decimal places... how many users, when rating, usually use halves? Quarters? Three decimal places?

There's about 600 users who have only rated one to three games but use decimal places. I'll ignore them (and all users with three ratings or less) in the table below...

FINEST RATING GRANULARITY

GRANULARITY REGULARS FINEST EVER USED
----------- -------- ----------------
Integers 14,000 11,000
?.5 (half) 4,000 5,100
?.25/?.75 50 400
?.1 400 1,700
?.01 8 200
?.001 1 20
?.0001 2 30

A lot of users have just a couple of ratings finer than their usual way of doing things. I've tried to capture that above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a fairly significant portion of the BGG community using 0.5 granularity.

Personally, I'd agree with you that fractional parts of individual ratings are a bit quirky for something that can't really be measured with such scientific precision, and the granularity should be on the integer level. However, if fractions are allowed, they should at least be handled consistently. How the 0.5 roundoff occurs in that odd/even nature to skew histogram data towards even numbered ratings is a mystery.

(Besides, if fractions are already undesirable, would one really want to provide incentive for folks to enter fractions like 0.5001? gulp )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
trnardo wrote:
That looks like a fairly significant portion of the BGG community using 0.5 granularity.

Personally, I'd agree with you that fractional parts of individual ratings are a bit quirky for something that can't really be measured with such scientific precision, and the granularity should be on the integer level. However, if fractions are allowed, they should at least be handled consistently. How the 0.5 roundoff occurs in that odd/even nature to skew histogram data towards even numbered ratings is a mystery.

(Besides, if fractions are already undesirable, would one really want to provide incentive for folks to enter fractions like 0.5001? gulp )

...can't...resist...urge...tyring...must...not... oh to heck with it.

Ya fraction snoot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, I think we should see the charts in 0.1 increments (which a lot of people use, according to the data above). I just looked at a game I recently played and rated (Keesdrow). It has 10 ratings, which the ratings histogram shows as 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, and 5. The real ratings are 9, 8.2, 8, 8, 8, 7.2, 7, 6.5, 6, 5.2. That's 40% of the ratings outside of integer allocations and 30% outside of half-point allocations.

And with the spiffy graphics used for our histogram displays here, why not just superimpose the 0.1 breakdowns within the large integer column that's already there. Hell, the chart is huge, so there is plenty of room to break each big column down into 1/10th increments and still have an easily viewable chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I dont really know if showing the decimal increments is so necessary. But I think the way the ratings round is more important, especially for the 10 ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.