Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

This rule in the “Purchase of Trains” section (page 12) sounds weird to me:

Quote:

When a company buys a train from another, the transaction takes place at the end of the purchasing company's turn.

Does this mean that…

1) a company with no trains must first buy a new train from the available, finish its turn (??), and then is able to buy from another company?

2) it is only to stress that companies buys trains and not sell? In other words, a company with no trains can buy a train from another company, as usually, to fulfill the requirement of owning a train.

I’m pretty much convinced of answer #2 but I find the wording quite confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it means that a Cie can buy trains from the bank and when it buys one from another Cie it cannot buy trains from the bank on this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius wrote:
Hi!

This rule in the “Purchase of Trains” section (page 12) sounds weird to me:

Quote:

When a company buys a train from another, the transaction takes place at the end of the purchasing company's turn.

Does this mean that…

1) a company with no trains must first buy a new train from the available, finish its turn (??), and then is able to buy from another company?

2) it is only to stress that companies buys trains and not sell? In other words, a company with no trains can buy a train from another company, as usually, to fulfill the requirement of owning a train.

I’m pretty much convinced of answer #2 but I find the wording quite confusing.

It's #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to interpret the offending clause to mean that once you buy a train across from another company, you're done. This would mean that the following manoeuvres, all occasionally useful things to do, would be forbidden:

1) Buy a train from a friend, then buy another train from a (possibly different) friend
2) Buy a train from a friend, then buy a train from the bank (rusting the train you've just bought across to make doing it this way round desirable)
3) Buy a train from a friend, then upgrade it

I haven't the foggiest notion whether any of these constraints were intended to apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's this one.

When this same question came up in the Yahoo mailing list (here), this was my answer:
In the (original) German rules, the line that corresponds to the last rule quoted below is:

"Der Handel mit Loks kann immer nur stattfinden, wenn die kaufende Gesellschaft in der Betriebsrunde (OR) agiert."
(The trade in locomotives can only ever happen when the buying company is acting in the OR.)

This was for 1880, from the same authors; I think the rules for both games are identical in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.