Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greetings!
Just wanted to check if I understood how this whole profession cards thing works.

Source of uncertainty: rulebook page 20

The previously mentioned action space is located in the third column. It is the only action space, on which you may draw an occupation card and play it right away.

1)...is the only action space... refers to which action space exactly?

2) Using a 3rd column action space lets me draw a darkbrown profession card, and - this is optional - immediately play the card I just drew either before or after I take the action where I placed 3 vikings?

3) Using a 4th column action space is similar to the 3rd column bonus action, but the difference is that I do not draw a new card, I may play one card from my hand?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It refers to this action space only:

Because this space is in 3rd column, you can draw a new occupation card as with all 3rd column spaces. But this action space specifically allows you to play 1-4 occupation cards. Hence. It is the only one space, where you can draw & play a card at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derphausen wrote:
Greetings!
2) Using a 3rd column action space lets me draw a darkbrown profession card, and - this is optional - immediately play the card I just drew either before or after I take the action where I placed 3 vikings?

3) Using a 4th column action space is similar to the 3rd column bonus action, but the difference is that I do not draw a new card, I may play one card from my hand?

When you use a 3rd column action space you only draw a card before you do the action.

When you use a 4th column action space you only play a card, before or after taking the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion has arisen between the bonus you get from using the action spots in the 3rd and 4th columns, and the action spaces on the bottom of the board that concern occupation cards.

1 -> The action space descriptions are referring to the spaces on the bottom of the board. They let you draw and/or play Occupation cards as the main action. The space you are talking about is in the third column, and lets you play 1-4 occupation cards from your hand.

The reason this is the only spot that lets you draw and then play a card is because the bonus you get from using a space in the 3rd column is to draw an occupation card. That's it. However, you may take this bonus either before or after doing the main action (playing occupation cards).

So, by taking the bonus and drawing a card first, you can then use the main action to play cards from your hand which may include the card you just drew.

2 & 3) No. The bonus you get from the 3rd column is to draw an occupation card into your hand. The 4th column bonus is to play an occupation card from your hand. You may take these bonuses before or after doing the action you put your vikings on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, now it all makes sense! The "last action space" is in the left-side column of the rulebook, and it refers to the action space that lets you play a couple of profession cards from you hand. Damn, I played it wrong the whole time.

Thank you all for getting this mistake out of the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dietsch
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
benosteen wrote:
The bonus you get from the 3rd column is to draw an occupation card into your hand. The 4th column bonus is to play an occupation card from your hand. You may take these bonuses before or after doing the action you put your vikings on.

Wow I completely missed this bonus for the 3rd and 4th. No wonder my scores were low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.