Shadowrift» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty? Unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siyano Fisher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I played 3 games with 4 player of this and I wondered several thing.

Has the game go on and on, its become harder and harder to buy thing, I havent seen any card that helps you draw more and thin you deck so you become more efficient (and I have gone through all card after the game). It became harder and harder to be efficient because of the random that you couldn't really mitigate with hand/deck management card (like draw 2 discard one or remove thing from the game) or even card that allow better economy. Card with mana use were very hard to use and loot/villager/wall were hard to get because of that, card that needed 5 prowess were basically almost impossible to get or the same with 3 mana.

Does the card "Strike" only does ranged if you pay 2 per card, if yes, it doesn't make sense, because having 2 stike in hand is impossible to make them ranged, so it either to pricey or should be only one activation?

the last game we lost in less than 5 or 6 full turn, maybe there was something wrong, we had the wood creature and the overgrowth power, which give a creature 2 movement, we had 3 so we thought we moved 3 creatures 2 times, which I think should not have happened and only 1 no matter what applies? We lost of having no more villager, we had like 2 left in deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to check, are you getting Heroism cards for defeating monsters? This is the main way that you get more "money" into play. Remember that each Heroism not only allows you to gain a prowess or magic or gold, but also lets you immediately draw another card.

Yes, it costs 2 gold prowess per strike to make a strike ranged. That will make it hard to pay for 2 in one turn, so you'll generally just use the ranged option when you are only making a single strike. However, remember that if you have multiple strikes and just attack one monster with them, you will only take damage once.

Remember that you can build up gold from turn to turn to make it easier to buy walls, villagers and loot, and that you can trade the gold coins between players. (You cannot, however, save or trade the gold from a Heroism)

There doesn't actually tend to be a lot of "deckbuilding" in Shadowrift; you'll probably only purchase half a dozen cards for each player deck.

Sorry, I haven't played the "wood creatures" yet (in the expansion I assume?) so I can't comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Yes, it costs 2 gold per strike to make a strike ranged.

I'm sure he actually meant 2 prowess instead of gold.

Otherwise, I agree with him. The only time I typically have more than 4-6 purchased hero cards in my deck is when I have more loot or skills that I intend to have out and waiting to use - not cycling through my deck. It depends on which cards are available though.

This is not an "economy" game. Don't look to build an economic engine. You're building an adventuring engine (cycle skills, power skills).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Brian said, the main way you get more buying power (i.e., Prowess) is by earning Heroism, though there a number of cards that also let you draw more cards (e.g., Holy Aura, Prophecy, Brawler). Skills and Loot are nice too because they don't clog up your deck, though you do need to pay upkeep for Skills. I think it's almost always worth paying that upkeep, and only don't do so if there's something particular I need to buy that needs all the Prowess. I typically get 1 or 2 Skills and the same number of Might to match, and Loot if you have a game in which Coins are relatively easy to come by (e.g., if you have Bamboozle--probably the best single Skill, but one is likely enough for the entire party--or Thieving Strike). The only Skill I get more than one of is Holy Aura, which is super useful because you can prevent anyone from getting a Wound. If that's available, I usually get at least one for each hero, so I can choose who gets to draw extra cards, and in what order. You can draw a lot of cards this way. (Just be aware it doesn't combo well with Attacks and Skills that let you avoid taking Wounds, e.g., Fireball, Thieving Strike, Frenzy.) In any case, make sure you don't clog up your deck with too many cards that you aren't cycling through your deck every one or two rounds most of the time. For each hero, I think I usually get one Skill (maybe two if Holy Aura is available), one or two Might, one or two Epic Attacks, and one or two Actions, and maybe a Strike or two, and Loot if Coin isn't too hard to come by. (The faction and hero cards available greatly affect this, of course.) The main challenge is avoiding getting too many Wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:

I'm sure he actually meant 2 prowess instead of gold.

Gah! Yes, I did. We just tend to call whatever the basic currency is in a deckbuilder "gold", whether it's coins, trains, prowess or what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.