Catan: Cities & Knights» Forums » Rules

Subject: Roads & Knight Cut off by Other Player's Settlement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Chau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my previous game we have 2 pieces of open roads and a knight at the end of open road being cut off by another player's settlement. The arguments surrounded the following questions:

1. Is the knight "dead," should it be returned to the player or should it stay there and cannot be moved / activated?

2. If the knight can be moved along road and perform actions, can he move along the road and go back to the side where he can connect with his settlement/city?

3. IS the open road dead? If it's dead can the part being cut-off be returned to player's hand?

4. If it cannot be returned to player's hand, can it be built from there?

If you think that the knight needs to connect to settlement/city to be supplied, then in such case the knight should be dead, same theory applies to the road.

Anyone can clarify for us? Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too sure I'm visualizing this correctly but I'm guessing there is your settlement then there is 2 roads leading away with it with a knight at the end. I'm not too sure how the settlement is cutting you off. I mean the knights block other people from building settlements on the spot they are at. If you mean they are being blocked by the opponent having a settlement between the roads , then these would be my answers to the questions.

1. If a knight can't move and it's stuck in the spot it's not necessarily dead since it counts as knight power when activated. and can scare away the thief and such. It can just never move. It is only dead if it gets displaced or such and has no other places along the road to end up.

2. To tell the truth I think the settlement placement was illegal in the first place. I don't think you are supposed to be able to break opponent's road in pieces. I think the only thing you are able to do is build settlements along your own roads and at the ends when their is contention( 2 or 3 different roads ending in one place). I think the player was wrong since you should be able to move along your own roads ok.

3. As I said I believe this was illegal settlement placement. You don't cut roads in pieces. Only ends of roads can be contested and have settlements placed on them to just cut off that end of the road. The road shouldn't be split!

4. Usually a player can build off of the ends of their roads, but this is just cutting the road in pieces still. There is no connected road which isn't right. You can build usually off your own stuff, but I still believe that settlement placement was illegal in the first place.

Hope this answers your questions, and hope I got my point out(I'm not perfect in rules so could be wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Lew
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is perfectly legal:

settlement road road road knight

then another player adds a settlement to the middle

settlement road road OPPONENTsettlement road knight

So, with the original post, the settlement is a knight instead. It is legal to "segment" a player's road like the illustration above. I'm not sure if the knight can be displaced to the left due to the opponent's settlement.

But, the road and knight to the right can be added upon. You can add roads, settlements, etc. If it were like this:

settlement road road OPPONENTsettlement

then no, the player cannot add to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The knight and road remain where they are. A road with a knight at the end of it is not an open road.

As to whether or not the knight can be moved back to the other side of the enemy settlement, I would say no. The road on his side can be expanded upon, but it's separated from the original area now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is that the movement must be along your roads.

It says that the roads may be occupied and that this doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been cleared up? Mayfair's Ver 4 C&K rules on Knight Movement state first, "In order for the knight to move, you must have built roads linking the intersection the knight is moving from to the intersection that he is moving to." This would imply that any pieces in the intersections the knight is traversing do not matter. Ahhh, but the next paragraph states, "...a moving knight may pass through any number of intersections that are occupied by pieces of the same color (assuming that they are all connected by roads, as above)." This implies that a settlement, city OR knight of a different color breaking a road into two segments prevents the player owning the now disconnected road segments from moving his knight through that piece to the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.