$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Buying Mini Paints in Melb? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
Thinking of painting the bases on my WotR figures, but have no idea where to start.

Any suggestions for where to buy paints and a basic brush for such purposes? Are there any physical stores, or is online the go?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of starting off painting, Rob Oren on his youtube channel has heaps of accessible videos that I've found useful.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5_huIQnbtjDhCyMvbZLo...

There are other youtube videos around as well. Even Dice Tower has some - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOlRvTbmD6tI2RT3R3G_z...

I used those and a few other randoms to get started.

Cheapest bulk paint I could get was waiting for a Minitaire sale on Amazon. I got https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Re... for around $150 delivered. They aren't as good as Citadel but they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

Brushes from any arts store. The youtube guides will give you some hints on what type.

That's what I did. If I had my time again I might have bought more Citadel paints as they are actually easier to paint with and get reasonable results with less skill. But at $10 a pot or whatever it really adds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked around quite a bit when I got into painting, and decided on Army Painter brand as a decent set of paints, which you can easily pick up a complete set for without spending crazy money, and have been very happy with there results.

I think I got something like this from ebay https://goo.gl/WRakdb

Those have lasted me over a year, without anything running out. Beyond that, grab a cheap spray paint for undercoats (bunnings white knight squirts are good - white keeps colours brighter, but black is more forgiving if your painting isn't as good, as if you miss little bits, they don't stick out as much).

Loads of great videos online - Julian suggested good ones. You can watch for hours. But main thing is to get stuck in and try it out. Oh and don't forget - a good "gaming" paint job is 100 times worse than a good "professional miniature" paint job. At close range, you'll chringe at your paint jobs, but when they are all sitting on the table, they'll look WAY better than grey plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen most of the game stores in Melbourne that stock them (Mind Games probably has the best range in the CBD - Citadel, Vallejo and Army Painter) they are all around about the same price being $4-$5 per paint.

Online seems slightly cheaper but by the time you factor in postage its pretty much about the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I bought a few cheap generic minis to practice painting on and gain confidence in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
Thanks for the advice all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Vallejo paints - they come in dropper bottles so you only have to get out as much as you need - and they have LOTS of colour selection. Just don't get the 'air' ranges as they are designed for an airbrush and won't go on as well with a regular brush.

Don't be afraid to get it wrong, we all do, and it's easy to do it again.

Above all enjoy it - you never know where it will lead. I have painted a number of different sets at this point, all very different, and I still enjoy every one of them. I don't try and rush through them, and just do what I can when I fancy a bit of chill out time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.