$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Looking for 2 and 3 player games for the airplane and 2 week trip to Europe. Obviously they will have to take up a small space for packing and a small footprint for playing. We usually prefer real bits and pieces but would consider board games that can be played on a tablet, too.

There are 3 of us and we would be playing 2 or 3 players at different times.

We light medium light to medium games normally but would consider straying from our likes a bit to fit this senario.

We play games like Kingdom Builder, Mad Castles, Suburbia, K2, Asara, Puerto Rico, Trains, Splendor, Carcassonne etc. alot. We also like games like Parade, Arboreteum, Patchwork and Lanterns (you can see my collection)

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently on travel for 3 months, so weight is everything. We have quixx, pinguin party and race for the galaxy (just bring the cards, points you can do on a piece of paper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter seems perfect for your needs. It is an excellent little game that can be played in very limited space.

(Not my image, but a nice representation of how little space the game requires)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Genechten
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket a fast fun abstract game for 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!, Small World, BattleLore (Second Edition), and Galaxy Trucker all have fantastic app implementations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket has a small footprint and is a clever two-player game.

Jambo/Asante are also good options (Asante is a reimplementation of Jambo, so you cargo with either one). If you are okay with "take-that" in games, it's a fun game you can play over and over.

Those are both for two.

I haven't played Harbour yet, but I imagine it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
The more I think about it the more I think I would prefer to go with a tablet and some games for it.

I don't have a tablet and wondered what is the minimum size tablet that will work ok for a lot of games? I would love some rec's on tablets. I saw Kindle Fire 7" for $50 which seems great but I'm thinking too small?

I saw a lot of game apps (i.e. Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Carcasssone, etc) and I am having a hard time imagining how they work on a small screen and what about things that a player has that shouldn't been seen by others (such as route cards in TTR)?

What games work best on a tablet? I would prefer games that are free or only a few dollars. Several I saw were $6.99 and I don't know that I would want to buy many for that price since I won't get much use out of them and own a lot of them in the boardgame version already.

Should I start a new thread for this?

Thanks,

Linda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Ingenious: Travel Edition on planes and trains. It's quite small, but it only supports 2 players.

There is a travel edition of Qwirkle, which has smaller blocks. This supports up to 4 players I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig - the app - got us through a long plane flight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
We've played Ingenious: Travel Edition on planes and trains. It's quite small, but it only supports 2 players.

This is excellent.

Also, Blokus Duo. My wife and I have taken this one on many flights. With both tray tables down, the board rests on both tables, straddling the gap, and leaving room for the box lids on either side to spread out the playing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
PlayBosco wrote:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig - the app - got us through a long plane flight!

Love this game...trying to imagine how that works on a small screen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
Galaxy Trucker

are my favourite board game apps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 or Battleship (first edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tides of Time is a light 2-player game that fits on an airplane tray-table with no difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linn _
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My general response to travel questions and game recs:

My wife and I have a games "go-bag" that is a good fit for this sort of occasion. We use it for all-day picnic/park trips, outdoor beer gardens, etc. All of the following fit into a 8"x7"x3.5" cloth bag w/ drawstring(if you are familiar, same size as a Crown Royal 1L bag).

A mix of games, depending on your numbers:

Carcassonne + Inn/Cathedrals : up to 6p, easy to teach, variable player counts, tiles and meeples, scoring on phone or scratch paper
Bohnanza : up to 7 p, same as above, cards only
Jaipur : 2p only, cards and tokens
your preferred flavor of Love Letter for 4p
Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age : dice and player boards and pegs, laminated score sheets
BANG! The Dice Game
standard deck of playing cards

If you wanted a slightly larger game, you can condense 7 Wonders pretty easily into a one-gallon ziploc bag.

Additional

For airplane play: you can fit Jaipur, 7W: Duel (not listed above, but easy to condense for travel), and Love Letter on trays easily.

For more weight, drop either RTTA or Bang Dice: add Five Tribes in a separate bag of similar size (all meeples and palms/palaces in drawstring bag with game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.