6 Posts

Equinox» Forums » General

Subject: The question I need to ask... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Are the tile printed incorrectly? Meaning, that when they are "right-reading" the tiles have a flat edge at the top. But, when you look at the graphics (ie, Mace, Spear, etc.) they show that the tiles should/need to be rotated 90° so that you can target the action to the correct tiles.
It appears on BGG (by the pictures) that folks are playing "right-reading" so the obvious comment/question is how do you play and does this issue cause any problems or do you get use to it?

We played about ½ way through and stopped, rotated the tiles as best as possible to match the orientation but still became frustrated and ended it. Reading the tiles and then rotating them to decide what the proper placement is seemed weird. This could have been avoided if they rotated the tiles 90° and then printed the tiles matching the orientation of the graphics/text.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm prettyEXTREMELEY sure the placed orientation of the tile is irrelevant; you can choose any direction in which to aim the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientation of the tiles is irrelevant -- you can target a red tile in any direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
For example, if you look at the "Mace" tile- it flips the tile directly to the right, and the top right to it's hex tile (as well as a third tile). The image on the tile indicated that the tile must be rotated 90° so that "right edge" of the tile is adjacent to the ones to be flipped.

If you start to place the tiles "right-reading", there is no "right edge" it merely is a corner or vertex of the tile (there's no flat edge).

So in our first game we started laying them out "right reading" to one of the players (upside down to the other). Once we hit the "Mace" tile we then rotated the tiles so that they were relevant to the images on the tiles. So, the tiles were essentially sideways to both players at that point, not a deal breaker but a bit uncharacteristic I suppose. I guess I was just wondering why they didn't print the tiles with the point/vertex pointing up so that it matches the images printed?

Or, am I to simply rotate a played tile in any direction thus making the tile imprint a moot point...am I misunderstanding a critical rule that all the tiles do not have to be oriented in the same direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile orientation is 100% irrelevant. The red powers can be aimed in any of the six directions, regardless of what way the text reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Thanks...don't know how I missed that, so when placing a tile it can be rotated in any direction...that explains alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.