3 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Mechs vs Minions vs My Friends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is my first review and I’m going to make sure it is spoiler free.

My game group got together on Saturday to play Mechs vs Minions for the first time and I’d like to share with you a little of how the game went.

We played through the tutorial mission which took about 20 minutes and all I told my group to begin with was the mission objective and then just explained the rules as we went along. Since you can’t lose the tutorial mission it didn’t matter if people made sub optimal moves or picked cards that were not a lot of help. At the end of the night everyone agreed this was a great way to learn because you get straight into playing the game without having to listen to me for half an hour trying to explain all the rules, and no one likes listening to me.

Once the tutorial was over my game group fell silent, but I know my friends well enough to know what they were thinking “Is that it? This doesn’t seem like anything special” but we moved on to mission 1. I explained the new objective and new rules (muhaha they had to sit there and listen to me anywaydevil) and we started to play with a draft>program>execute>minion move>spawn>attack and then repeated a second time, this is when the questions started.

Heidi: Are you sure that’s right?
Me: Yes
Richard: They spawn every round?
James: but the board will get swamped?
Me: Correct!

Now my friends sit forward and wrinkle their foreheads studying the board and fall silent again. Once again I know them well enough to know what they are thinking “ok game, I accept your challenge!”

Happy to report we lost that first mission but this quickly turned into a discussion about what we did right and what we did wrong. What we could do better next time and should divide our attention and assign different roles for each player some doing job A and some doing job B. Instead of the free for all mess that we did the first time.

What you should take away from this story is that the tutorial is excellent at teaching the game but the game should not be judged on it.

And the mark of a great game especially co-op games is what the discussion afterwards is like. If the discussion goes something like “that was good” or “that was fun” then the game is really just ok. If the discussion turns to the highlights of the game what things you could improve upon the next time you play even when we won mission 1 we still talked about our mistakes or how lucky we got just squeezing out our win by a narrow margin, then you have found something special. We all agreed at the end of the night this was an amazingly fun game with some great well painted components, metal coins washed minions and my friend James has some mild OCD so he fell crazy in love with the box inserts.

For now though onto mission 2 which even though we had played and completed mission 1 still contained the following conversation.

Richard: That’s a lot of Minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Tillman
Sweden
Hässelby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TheBigB00 wrote:
Richard: They spawn every round?

Hahaha. I had the exact same conversation with my friends!

Thanks for a great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwa ha ha...

CORRECT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.