Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
To Mr. Coe & co.
Very excited for the game and in awe of the art & graphic design...except for a few concerns about the busyness of the map. I believe they've been mentioned elsewhere, but Kickstarter comments are hard to sift through.

Having watched Rhado's and JonGetsGamess playthroughs, it was very difficult to pick out the card boundaries. With the cards having multiple spots for meeples, it breaks things up even further. Often I had to pause and stare to see "is that meeple on a tile that's touching the shore?" or "is that meeple diagonal to or above that goblin pit he wants to visit?".

I realize that having some space between cards would solve this, but the graphic design (and already large footprint) emphasizes making the cards touch to form those roads/rivers.

Without knowing what your costs and time involved would be, I'd hope this could be addressed, even via simple fix. I plan to play this game (like other Tiny Epic games) with somewhat casual first-time players, and adding AP/parsing troubles seems unnecessary.

So my two cents (I'm sure you've thought of these):
- Simple solution: very slight darkening gradient around the edges of the tiles (only on the green grass) so that the edges pop out a bit.
- Awesome solution: replace the grass on each tile to match its contents (sand, snow, etc); it might look more patchwork but if each card was a more distinct overall 'color' borders would be obvious. And abrupt ecological boundaries are very in-theme for this game.
- Other: I believe this has already been mentioned and rejected, but having roads and rivers on map edges (i.e. left and top) would make the map shores look weird but would form a natural grid.

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be about how all the art looks like it was lifted from The Legend of Zelda series lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goemon12677 wrote:
I thought this was going to be about how all the art looks like it was lifted from The Legend of Zelda series lol.

There's a different thread for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that it is a huge, green island. And I guess the borders are easier to see on your actual table than in the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Goemon12677 wrote:

There's a different thread for that.

haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bear King
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it will be easier to see card edges in person. And there are only two spaces to occupy per card, left and right.

I think it's going to feel a lot like those expansive video games it's modeled after. When you first step into those worlds, it's beautiful and expansive and completely overwhelming, but you dive in and play anyway. And after a while, and it's suddenly no longer confusing. It's a familiar sandbox for you to play in.

It'll be all good. In fact, I think it will be awesome. and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Artorig wrote:
...When you first step into those worlds, it's beautiful and expansive and completely overwhelming, but you dive in and play anyway. And after a while, and it's suddenly no longer confusing.
Probably true and possibly intentional. For me personally though, a big draw of the tiny epic games is that they're great for newer/more casual gamers, and those people typically don't need extra overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.