Subject: Worried about event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I read the rules and worried about events... Why hazard ? Sometimes hazard break a good euro game...
First i thought green events are not a real issue, but yellow and red yes... So players are going to try to increase financial status, stay in green, good. But :

- Green or Yellow ? Sometimes a yellow event is not worth than a green event... "Credit downgrade" it's tough and green... "brain drain" green financial statut -2, yellow : financial statut -1 ??? Yellow better than green... green or yellow, i don't care, so event useless for the game ?

- Some event forbid actions on the board... hum... If you make a strategy and plan next round to do an action and... unlucky you can't... Luck make you loose and break your strategy... Not so good...

I didn't play yet, so am i right to be worried about it ? And why take one (un)luck event card each round... Taking one only if financial statut goes down makes more sense i think and do the job : players wants to have the financial status up. Good or bad idea ? Have you tried it ?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience so far the events don't often ruin your round. The worst I've found is when you're counting on a government subsidy or loan and then find then unavailable. Personally I find them very thematic but not too nasty. The green ones are the worst and the red are probably the most gentle so at least it doesn't kick you while you're down.

There are so many things to do on a round that I don't think the events really get in the way much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
sneakypete21 wrote:
In my experience so far the events don't often ruin your round. The worst I've found is when you're counting on a government subsidy or loan and then find then unavailable. Personally I find them very thematic but not too nasty. The green ones are the worst and the red are probably the most gentle so at least it doesn't kick you while you're down.

There are so many things to do on a round that I don't think the events really get in the way much.

I agree. Not a big deal but still slightly disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
sneakypete21 wrote:

I agree. Not a big deal but still slightly disruptive.

I would even go as far as calling it "just enough"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, if it doesn't break the game, if you have always something to do it doesn't matter, but what the point ? Thematic ? hum... You try to play without it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It's a very thematic game. I intend to keep playing with them as it only makes sense that worse things happen the worse off the economy is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, the green events are harder than the red ones. This was intended so that at the first rounds the game itself pushes the economy downwards. Recall that Axia's status starts at the green level. So, when you draw that nasty green events, the marker is getting down directly...

We included the events as a way to mimic real life situations, where real life events affect the economy. As you will read in our Designer's Diary in the future, most of these events have happened...

Of course, you can always play the game without drawing the event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you answer. When we love euro games we hate luck make us loose without anything to do. We love build strategy, so when in the middle of something, event... bad luck... you can't do that.... and your stategy is down, only because of bad luck and not mistake... It isn't good...

So if events bring thematic feeling and it just push us to do other things without giving up our strategy, it could be great... I have to play.

But, waht about the idea : Event comes only if financial statut drop ? Thematic and we can fight it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest you play the game with events as normal and see how you like it. I won't be fiddling with the mechanism because I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Dankberg
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps31 wrote:
Thanks for you answer. When we love euro games we hate luck make us loose without anything to do. We love build strategy, so when in the middle of something, event... bad luck... you can't do that.... and your stategy is down, only because of bad luck and not mistake... It isn't good...

So if events bring thematic feeling and it just push us to do other things without giving up our strategy, it could be great... I have to play.

But, waht about the idea : Event comes only if financial statut drop ? Thematic and we can fight it...

Even the best strategies must sometimes evolve! Therein lies the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.